User Avatar Image

Did Nate know the old couple or where they Lying?

posted by Crixus on - last edited - Viewed by 856 users

Said something about guys attacking with Masks,do you think Nate attacked and stole from them before and that he was telling the truth when he said he doesn't know them.I got the feeling that he did know them.

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Maybe the bandits from episode 2 and 3 are still running wild across the countryside?

• @Pell3t said: Maybe the bandits from episode 2 and 3 are still running wild across the countryside?

It's pretty far away though isn't it,could be another group of bandits though there are alot out there.

• I don't think he did. First of all if he did know about them, I'd believe he would make a more sneaky approach. Not deliberately go and almost get shot while also getting his truck wrecked. Nate may be a bit crazy but he doesn't seem stupid. If he knew about the old couple that's A class stupid to drive in there directly with no care in the world and then take the difficult route of getting to them. Plus his reaction when the car got shot sounded genuine. He would go awfully far just to arrange all that if that was the case.

Some people have pointed out that Nate may know because he makes Russell take a peek at the sniper without getting a glance himself. This is not entirely the case since if you decide to do nothing, he actually goes and does it himself. Plus he probably wouldn't even suggest this little stunt if he already knew where they were.

The old man is referencing to masks which we usually see on bandits. If he had just started to bark at Nate WITHOUT saying the whole "think you can leave your mask at home?" it would be much more clear cut. Yet, they make him say this line which makes the whole deal much more complicated since he could have seen any masked men and in his panic to protect his wife would just confuse them with Nate. I think the fact that they included this specific line the way they did tells something. What we do seem to know is that the robbers were white since he just insults Russ in a dismissing manner "and now you are with this fucking spook" which tells there were not a guy like him before. There's also a line in which he uses a plural in reference to the earlier incident which makes me believe there were a group of white men/women. Nate was traveling alone.

Finally, the old man clearly saw someone with a mask and Nate doesn't strike me as a type to use masks. At all. You all saw how casually he pulled all the shit he did in the game. He doesn't really come up with excuses. When Russ calls him out for not covering him, he just jokes about it. He's not exactly doing a good job of "trying to hide his real self". He didn't appear to have any regrets or sense of secrecy since he killed the old couple in front of Russell (or at hearing distance) despite just meeting him. He also genuinely didn't seem to understand what the big deal was if Russ decided to protest and just goes and asks "Can we still be friends?". I'd believe bandits with the common sense of using masks tend to act different around total strangers who could rat them out. Obviously they have something to hide since they bother to cover themselves. Nate doesn't even care and lets Russ go if he so chooses, though he did seem upset over losing a "friend".

IMO this whole ordeal had to do with Nate's vengeful nature joined with twisted morals. He did the same with Eddie and Wyatt. After Eddie shot his friend he was hellbent on getting them both and after the old couple shot at him and Russ he seemed really obsessed at getting his hands on 'the fucker who shot us'. He even says it to the old man himself ("You tried to kill us for no goddamn reason, if anything we should take you out for that"). Also, when he then asks Russ whether they should just 'kill these folks and take all their stuff', he's clearly dickishly joking about what he heard from Russ earlier. I don't think it's evidence about him being a robber. He even says it was a joke but had apparently already made his mind about killing the old couple. I just think it was more about 'eye for an eye' than deliberately targeting them just to steal their stuff. The stuff was just a bonus.

Who knows, I might be wrong but this is how I see it.

• @CreeperX said: I don't think he did. First of all if he did know about them, I'd believe he would make a more sneaky approach. Not deliberately go and almost get shot while also getting his truck wrecked. Nate may be bit crazy but he doesn't seem stupid. If he knew about the old couple that's A class stupid to drive in there directly with no care in the world. Plus his reaction when they got shot sounded genuine. He would go awfully far just to arrange all that if that was the case.

Some people have pointed out that Nate may know because he makes Russell take a peek at the sniper without getting a glance himself. This is not entirely the case since if you decide to do nothing, he actually goes and does it himself. Plus he probably wouldn't even suggest this little stunt if he already knew where they were.

The old man is referencing to masks which we usually see on bandits. If he had just started to bark at Nate WITHOUT saying the whole "think you can leave your mask at home?" it would be much more clear cut. Yet, they make him say this line which makes the whole deal much more complicated since he could have seen any masked men and just confuse them with Nate. I think the fact that they included this specific line the way they did tells something. What we do seem to know is that the robbers were white since he just insults Russ in a dismissing manner "and now you are with this fucking spook" which tells there were not a guy like him before. There's also a line in which he uses a plural in reference to the earlier incident which makes me believe there were a group of white men/women. Nate is traveling alone.

Finally, the old man clearly saw someone with a mask and Nate doesn't strike me as a type to use masks. At all. You all saw how casually he pulled all the shit he did in the game. He doesn't really come up with excuses. When Russ calls him out for not covering him, he just jokes about it. He's not exactly doing a good job of "trying to hide his real self". He didn't appear to have any regrets or sense of secrecy since he killed the old couple in front of Russell (or at hearing distance) despite just meeting him. He also genuinely didn't seem to understand what the big deal was if Russ decided to protest and just goes and asks "Can we still be friends?". I'd believe bandits with the common sense of using masks tend to act different around total strangers who could rat them out. Obviously they have something to hide since they bother to cover themselves. Nate doesn't even care and lets Russ go if he so chooses, though he did seem upset over losing a "friend".

IMO this whole ordeal had to do with Nate's vengeful nature joined with twisted morals. He did the same with Eddie and Wyatt. After Eddie shot his friend he was hellbent on getting them both and after the old couple shot at him and Russ he seemed really obsessed at getting his hands on 'the fucker who shot them'. He even says it to the old man himself ("You tried to kill us for no goddamn reason, if anything we should take you out for that"). Also, when he then asks Russ whether they should just 'kill these folks and take all their stuff', he's clearly dickishly joking about what he heard from Russ earlier. I don't think it's evidence about him being a robber. He even says it was a joke but had apparently already made his mind about killing the old couple. I just think it was more about 'eye for an eye' than deliberately targeting them just to steal their stuff. The stuff was just a bonus.

Who knows, I might be wrong but this is how I see it.

Wow thats really well said and after reading it I have changed my mind that I think Nate didn't know them,you made alot of good points that supported that argument.

• I'm sure he knew them. Went for more ammo, met a "helper" and came back. Just look at his action. This men knows what he is doing.

• Yeah if Nate had been there before I am pretty sure he would have gone for the kill shot the first meeting and taken the food.

But, in TWD you never know.... He may be mentally unstable to the point where he gained a sense of enjoyment by wounding the old people and letting them suffer till he came back.

However, I am 99% sure he didn't know the old people. The gun shot wounds happened fairly close to the same day and Nate was driving from the opposite direction when he met Russ.

• I agree fully, I no longer think he knew those old people, he is just crazy.

• Nate is a tad dodgy if Russell questions him re: being there before.

Still, I'm not sure masked bandit-ry is Nate's bag. Then again, unpredictability.

• I was going to agree on the eye for an eye logic with Nate. Since you know he chased wyatt and eddie cause they killed his buddy. But................. He straight murdered those old people and took their stuff. Kinda like "You kicked my dog, I'll kill yours and take the extra dog food".

• @Omid's cat said: I'm sure he knew them. Went for more ammo, met a "helper" and came back. Just look at his action. This men knows what he is doing.

I support this.

Nate may not have had a mask but there's nothing to say he didn't have one. We know from Wyatt's story that Nate DID have a friend. Who's to say there wasn't more of them? Who's to say he wasn't in a group originally? Nate seems pretty determined to get into the dinner and he shows no remorse when he shoots the couple even if Russell tells him not to hurt them. Yeah the old guy was shooting at them but his wife was injured, he was trying to protect himself AND her.

Add Comment