User Avatar Image

New Wolf Among Us Info/Previews - PSA: Releases this Friday (Oct 11) + New Footage on IGN Up at Noon

posted by Blind Sniper on - last edited - Viewed by 32.1K users

Recent Updates about the game

Episode 1 releases this Friday. Woo! Additionally, a new Launch trailer is out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIgx0vPPDtA&feature=youtu.be

August 20: Additional previews indicate that the series will be five episodes (no big surprise) and that all platforms, even Xbox 360, will have a Season Pass whereas episodes will cost $5 individually. Also, unlike Walking Dead, Shacknews gives the impression Telltale will be returning to monthly instead of bi-monthly-ish episodes.

October 3: Telltale has just put up pre orders up on Steam and their own store, and collector DVDs are back for people who get the season on the Telltale Store. No release date has been announced, but we can't be too far off...

October 4: Episode Titles have been revealed on Steam:

Episode One: Faith
Episode Two: Smoke and Mirrors
Episode Three: A Crooked Mile
Episode Four: In Sheep's Clothing
Episode Five: Cry Wolf

October 7th: IGN has a short clip of an early fight scene from episode One on IGN Up at Noon. Footage starts at 13:57
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/07/creating-the-walking-dead-season-2-releasing-the-wolf-among-us-telltale-on-up-at-noon
Additionally, they also tease TWAU as "coming soon" and that Walking Dead Season 2 will premiere during the course of TWAU Season 1. (In other news, someone found that the Xbox.com page for Episode One has a release date of the 11th; aka this Friday).

(Original Post from August and earlier edits/additions are below)
For those who do not follow Telltale's twitter, some sites have released previews for the first hour of Wolf Among Us Episode 1. Several of the previews indicate the game's release was delayed from Summer to Fall ("Late September/Early October according to Destructoid).

Most of the previews consist of story spoilers, but I included some interesting non-spoilery excerpts below.

http://www.destructoid.com/telltale-s-the-wolf-among-us-will-please-fables-fans-260328.phtml
"Investigation isn't part of the gameplay, but it is part of the plot. You're aren't always really in situations to look for clues or details, but you can look around for more story points if you want. This design plays into Bigby's conflicted nature. He could be a proper detective, one that goes by the books. Or go more with his wild side as the Big Bad Wolf to sniff out crime scenes and use his gut instinct. You'll find different things depending on how you investigate the situation.

On the technical side, you can now hold down the right trigger to move your character a little faster. Also, the Telltale engine has been improved to resolve issues players had with The Walking Dead such as save-state problems, frame-rate hiccups, and the like. The technology for Telltale games kind of gets locked into place with the first episode to a series, as the subsequent episodes are treated as downloadable content. So a lot of the issues have been ironed out, Telltale told me."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/the-wolf-among-us-preview
"Bigby is an interesting character, in that he's much angrier and more physical than any of Telltale's previous heroes. Throughout TWD, I chose to have Lee act with the sole goal of keeping Clementine safe and sculpting her into a strong, independent woman. But with Bigby, that's all out the window. I have to keep order in a town full of vulgar frogs, alcoholic pigs, and smug mirrors with an affinity for end-rhyme. This time around, I'm willing to do whatever's necessary in order to right a wrong, even if that means throwing a flanneled woodsman out a window.

After playing about an hour of the first episode of The Wolf Among Us, I walked away with the utmost confidence in Telltale's next adventure. Any fears that this game would have to cower in the shadow of The Walking Dead were immediately put to rest, as it became clear that this story stands tall with its own unique voice and style. I seriously can't wait to see just how unhappy of a man I can make Bigby when The Wolf Among Us launches early this fall."

Joystiq has a preview up as well with new video footage.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/20/suspending-disbelief-in-the-wolf-among-us/
"And to tell the truth, that's a good way to describe the majority of my experience with The Wolf Among Us: moments of strong emotion preceded by moments of absolute surprising surrealism. It's a bit much to take in, this world of fairy tale creatures, magic and morality, but Telltale manages to instill an emotional weight that makes it easier to look past some of the out-there stuff – like a pig smoking a cigarette, only pausing to greedily lap up hooch from a highball glass.
Here I was, watching a story unfold about mythical creatures hiding out in New York City and it's all so ridiculous and yet I didn't even question it – not once. The emotional impact and intensity of the storytelling drew me in immediately and I was hooked. Telltale Games has risen to provide a level of character development and narrative other studios would do well to dissect.

The Wolf Among Us is slated to launch either in late September or early October for Xbox 360, PS3, Mac and PC. Five episodes will be available in total, priced at $5 each. Season pass options will present themselves on all platforms closer to launch."

Other Previews

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_wolf_among_us/b/xbox360/archive/2013/08/20/the-wolf-among-us-hands-on-preview.aspx

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80745/the-wolf-among-us-season-begins-early-october-spans-five

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/20/4638234/the-wolf-among-us-explores-role-playing-and-class-structures

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/20/4639948/first-look-at-wolf-among-us-telltale-follow-up-to-the-walking-dead

374 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

These games are so abundantly rich in terrifying spoilers, the extra care is worth it.

Indeed. Even for the press tour (where we showed journalists the first hour or so of the game), we asked them to avoid spoiling several specific things in their write-ups. Discovering that stuff organically is just such a huge part of the player experience that we wouldn't want to take it away from anyone.

• if only kotaku (sorry about the swear) would also show some discipline instead of constantly spoiling gta v..

it's like every hour they are posting something new about it..

• User Avatar Image
    fusedmass BANNED

It seems like every week, a new gaming magazine has come out with an article about this game. Even in the FAQ section of this game. Its nearly impossible to not see spoilers as they are written in the article detailing this game. It would be great to play this game I think. However I fear it won't be till maybe the second week of Oct, that its actually released.

I followed this game closely. Followed the tweets and read the article. We are nearly less then a week away from the ending of this month but no closer to the release date I fear. Taken into account we have wait 2 weeks for them code other consoles after game is already done. Even if game is done tomorrow. It won't be released till Mid October I would guess.

Next time. I hope they don't hype up a game unless the first episode is at least complete.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

That would mean not hyping it until one or two weeks before release. What kind of bad PR would that be?

Also, all the new article STILL draw on the PAX showing of the game, which only was the first hour of the game AND journalists were explicitly asked some of the big surprises of even this first hour. Hardly spoilery, I'd think. Apart from general mechanics of the game and about the first encounter of Bigby, I believe nothing was spoiled here.

• User Avatar Image
    fusedmass BANNED

Its not hyping for a week or two. Its for over a month. Since the time the comic was mentioned numerous company's have outlined their spoilers etc. I rather find discovery not in reading about whats in the next series, but playing through it and finding myself. I am now convinced this is major hype in order to get stronger ordering numbers.

I mean just look at the thread in general, numerous threads about people asking when it will come out sincerely confused. All I'm saying is this is over a month of dozens of articles when the average gamer hasn't played one hour. I do not base what games I play..off reviews. I base them off their previous games.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

fused,

Its not hyping for a week or two. Its for over a month.

I see the problem, I really do. But every single one of those articles which have been coming out for almost four weeks right now still stems from information of that single one PAX booth in August. Had the journalists been faster in working through their PAX backlog, all those articles would have been out September the 5th at the latest with the very same information in it. There's no 'major hype' - the gaming magazines just pick up the topic whenever they feel like it, trying to get info about the 'important' games out faster, leading to a coverage that's stretched thin. In fact, I find the actual marketing campaign to be thoroughly lacking in real substance.

The journalists, all having seen only the first hour or so, and very few actually 'hands on', all report the same stuff over and over again! Again, you're not really getting spoiled by that. Jake had promised a real marketing campaign in the "disappointed by the coverage" thread (and in fact anticipated complaints like yours), but I just haven't seen it yet.

• come to think of it the only hype i have ever seen was for the walking dead. all the other titles i just bought when i came on and discovered they were already released. although back then i wasn't as involved with the forums as much as i am now though. i have never been disappointed in any game they made so i know its going to be good game like all the others where. still waiting on the back to the future season 2. waiting patiently. :)

• User Avatar Image
    fusedmass BANNED

As puzzle box mentioned they are all prepared to go on early Oct. I am just guessing it will be sometime next week, weekend at latest. From the way he spoke. He sounded confident that everything was finished. I am eagerly awaiting for it to come out. The first day, I am going to buy it. I just wonder with the walking dead season 2 coming out.

If the next episode of the wolf among us is going be a few weeks, or maybe a month. It can't be too long because they plan to release season 2 of the walking dead before the year ends. Anyone else hyped up about the upcoming launch of the wolf among us

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

As puzzle box mentioned they are all prepared to go on early Oct. I am just guessing it will be sometime next week, weekend at latest. From the way he spoke. He sounded confident that everything was finished.

"She". ;)

• User Avatar Image
    fusedmass BANNED

Puzzle box is a woman, ah my mistake then.

Add Comment