User Avatar Image

Steam release now that season 2 is over

posted by Aciesethon on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

I've searched this forum for information on the steam release and only found that it's after the season concludes. Now that it has does anyone have a more accurate idea of if and when I can get it on steam?

74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Nope. But when there's something to announce, we'll announce it.

• User Avatar Image
    Flo

Out of curiosity...

I suppose people mostly wait for a Steam release for the convenience of having all games available under a single login. But am I right to assume that Telltale makes less money off the Steam releases than those purchased directly from the Telltale store, since Valve will obviously want a cut?

If so, fans should definitely purchase directly from Telltale ;)

• @Flo said: Out of curiosity...

I suppose people mostly wait for a Steam release for the convenience of having all games available under a single login. But am I right to assume that Telltale makes less money off the Steam releases than those purchased directly from the Telltale store, since Valve will obviously want a cut?

If so, fans should definitely purchase directly from Telltale ;)

Yes you'd be right about that in terms of profit per sale but I can assure they'd have made a lot less money from me with out steam because I'd simply have never heard about Sam & Max. I'm planning on offsetting the middleman cost a bit by buying Surfing the Highway. Oh and Valve is a company I don't mind giving a cut to, they save me a plenty by providing an alternative to australian retail which charges double and that's taking currencey conversion into account.

The steam version is convienant because as you said, every game is under my one login but also as it is integrated with the steam community features (IM, profile etc) and has a level of security and permanancey considering steam allows you to redownload the game anytime and valve isn't going broke anytime soon.

Granted it's prefferable to have the episodes as they are released but there is of course one way here to have your cake and it eat it too.

Speaking of which I have to question the tactic of delaying the steam release. It seems that it's to encourage you to by it directly from telltale which makes sense but you have to consider that your limiting consumer choice. If someone can't get the game in thier preffered manner they will seek alternatives which will be a lot less profitable than on steam ;)

• User Avatar Image
    Flo

The delay could also have something to do with their agreement with Gametap.

• @Aciesethon said: If someone can't get the game in thier preffered manner they will seek alternatives which will be a lot less profitable than on steam ;)

There are already two channels in place for getting the game right away. As with the first season, there will be other options for getting the second season that will be announced as soon as we have details to announce.

Implying that piracy is at all a viable alternative to patience is pretty near the top of the list of Things That Are Not Cool. Wink smiley or no.

• User Avatar Image
    Flo

@Chuck said: There are already two channels in place for getting the game right away

GameTap isn't officially available outside the US and Canada. Just FYI.

• @Chuck said: Implying that piracy is at all a viable alternative to patience is pretty near the top of the list of Things That Are Not Cool. Wink smiley or no.

Whether or not you agree with piracy is irrelevant, I'm simply stating that telltale's current strategy is one that may encourage some to do so.
    And I hope that it's a good enough justification for them to consider releasing it on steam episodically, because Valve aren't making a good example of it.
    So we cool?

And I can't use gametap as flo points out.

• @Aciesethon said: And I can't use gametap as flo points out.

(Only scanned the whole thread, not read it all in full but)

You don't have to use Gametap. You can buy and download it direct from Telltale.
    I don't get why anyone would want to a pirate a game though just because they can't get it through Steam. If you're willing to play from Steam, why aren't you willing to play from Telltale (especially when it's cheaper and the DRM's not as restrictive)?

I've used Steam, nothing against it, and it's handy being able to play and download all your games from the same service, but still...

• I don't understand what you mean. First you say:

[quote]The steam version is convienant because as you said, every game is under my one login but also as it is integrated with the steam community features (IM, profile etc) and has a level of security and permanancey considering steam allows you to redownload the game anytime and valve isn't going broke anytime soon.[/quote]

And then you follow it up with:

[quote]If someone can't get the game in thier preffered manner they will seek alternatives which will be a lot less profitable than on steam[/quote]

If people are waiting for the Steam version because it's 'all under one account'. First off the Telltale version does as well, if you buy a season pass and download each episode from our site the game will prompt you for your Telltale username/password. It will then check the site and see if you have a season or episide-specific serial and auto-activate the game if that's true. Once that's out of the way it's exactly the same as playing it on Steam. For individual episodes on Steam you still have to click each one separately just like with our version (it's just the icons will be in a different place). Also if you are in some sort of mega rush, you don't have to start Steam before playing the Telltale versions. Obviously our version doesn't have any interaction with Steam since it's not on Steam but that's not overly relevant.

Secondly, assuming you ignore the fact that Telltale's versions (or Gametap's for that matter) are 'under one account', why, exactly, would someone pirate the games while waiting for the Steam versions? If them being under one account is their main reason for piracy then it would seem like downloading them prior to the Steam version is worthless to them because it lacks the lone feature they wanted them for. It just seems like impatience to me.

Also it's worth noting that if you buy the Steam version you do not qualify for the season DVD, which we give to anyone who bought the full season from us for only the cost of shipping.

• @mikew said:
    If people are waiting for the Steam version because it's 'all under one account'. First off the Telltale version does as well, if you buy a season pass and download each episode from our site the game will prompt you for your Telltale username/password. It will then check the site and see if you have a season or episide-specific serial and auto-activate the game if that's true. Once that's out of the way it's exactly the same as playing it on Steam. For individual episodes on Steam you still have to click each one separately just like with our version (it's just the icons will be in a different place). Also if you are in some sort of mega rush, you don't have to start Steam before playing the Telltale versions. Obviously our version doesn't have any interaction with Steam since it's not on Steam but that's not overly relevant.

Secondly, assuming you ignore the fact that Telltale's versions (or Gametap's for that matter) are 'under one account', why, exactly, would someone pirate the games while waiting for the Steam versions? If them being under one account is their main reason for piracy then it would seem like downloading them prior to the Steam version is worthless to them because it lacks the lone feature they wanted them for. It just seems like impatience to me.

Also it's worth noting that if you buy the Steam version you do not qualify for the season DVD, which we give to anyone who bought the full season from us for only the cost of shipping.

Firstly I'm australian and therefore cannot use gametap, which is unfortunate as it looks like a cool service.

Now when I refer to games being under one account I do not mean all Sam and Max games, I mean ALL games. It's also not the only reason I use steam as I detailed earlier. Steam has become a very important tool to me, it's where I buy my games, play them, organise servers, talk to friends, join game communities it's basically a gaming swiss army knife so it's only natural I want sam and max on it.
    Ultimately it's a matter of preference, and mine is steam.

As it is the main reason to buy telltale's version is to get it earlier, so the incentive is... impatience. The dvd would cost $10 (more than an episode!) to be shipped while I can burn a steam backup for practically free.

Anyway this topic has shifted a little offtopic especially considering I'm not advocating piracy, infact I'm suggesting an additional method to prevent it with the ulterior motive of hopeing for an earlier steam release.

This discussion has been closed.