User Avatar Image

Freelance Police's sudden death

posted by Udvarnoky on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

This goes out to the Telltale folks who were former members of the Sam & Max: Freelance Police team. Yeah, yeah, we've all mourned and murdered over the cancellation of that game, but I've still got some questions concerning the cancellation that maybe you could answer. After all, the press release LucasArts offered wasn't particularly explanatory or in-depth, and I'd just like to hear your take on it. Basically what I want to know is: was the game's cancellation as abrupt and shocking to the guys within LucasArts as it was to the fans? Or was there reason to believe that the project was in a bit of trouble before the decision was made? I think there's more than enough evidence to show that few people were expecting the game to get axed like that, but were there, like, any hints of doom?

Thanks in advance for putting up with the curiosity; I still need closure.

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • [quote]And at that moment the market will be flooded by other adventure games made by Telltale (ex-Lucasarts employees), Autumn Moon (ex-Lucasarts employees), Double Fine (ex-Lucasarts employees), Ron Gilbert with one of his companies (ex-Lucasarts employees) or others. [/quote]

Claiming Double Fine & Ron Gilbert are to be producing LucasArts style adventures is taking liberties with the truth.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Claiming Double Fine & Ron Gilbert are to be producing LucasArts style adventures is taking liberties with the truth.[/quote]

Yes, you are right. Thanks for correcting me. [:">] I was a bit over-enthousiastic. But they might return to it? There still is a Monkey 3 "as Gilbert had thought it up" to be made. (I hope) I guess, because here it is already rather late, I started dreaming away. Anyhow, a score of 2 out of 4 is not so bad? Sometimes I did worse in school. :p

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]After all these things with Sam and Max, I'm wondering why Full Throttle really has been cancelled. Officially it was canned to not upset the fans of the original because it couldn't live up to it. Seeing how they treated us with Sam and Max, I'm starting to doubt that statement.[/quote]

Speaking as a big fan(girl) of the original...I hope that's why they cancelled it. I played Full Throttle long after FT2 was cancelled, so after finishing the game, I backtracked to see what the sequel would've been like. And I got my hands on the E3 teaser/trailer.

After seeing that trailer, I wanted to drink bleach, spork out my own eyeballs, and throw myself off a tall building.

...Well, okay, so maybe my reaction wasn't quite that extreme. But I did spend about five minutes praising the gods of computer games that FT2 was cancelled. I could go into all the reasons why I'm so thankful, as a fan of the original (and also as a fan whose pipe dream it is to have an FT2: This Time It Won't Suck), that it was cancelled, but I think that would drag the thread off-topic. So let me just put it this way--IMHO, FT2 as LucasArts was planning it would have dragged the original game out back, shot it, kicked it while it was down, and then shot it again for good measure.

And then it would have buried the body. Deep.

Sorry if I dragged the thread off-topic. That's just something of a pet peeve for me right now.

• [quote]Funny thing is: the last Starwars movie is coming soon and that will be it! Some 15 more starwars games and they should run out of inspiration (as if they haven't already). Next year they'll shoot a new Indiana Jones film (which I am looking forward to) and probably issue a new game around it.[/quote]

The fact that Episode III will be here and gone soon means nothing. Sure, there'll be a lot of Episode III tie-ins, but the games won't stop. I can assure you of that. LucasArts will be able to ride the LucasArts train FOREVER.

As for Indy, Jim Ward has said that there will be a new Indy game in the future, which is a good thing. I think we all know it won't be an adventure, though.

[quote]And then? Falling back on the things they were good at will be really hard because the people who worked on the nice projects have left the building and ran away. [/quote]

Or have been fired.

[quote]The fans who would have bought a mediocre Lucasarts adventure (e.g. EMI) will think twice before doing that now. And at that moment the market will be flooded by other adventure games made by Telltale (ex-Lucasarts employees), Autumn Moon (ex-Lucasarts employees), Double Fine (ex-Lucasarts employees), Ron Gilbert with one of his companies (ex-Lucasarts employees) or others. There is hope enough on adventures in the LA style. Now, LA is nothing, but in the '80's and '90's it was a great school for great adventure games and we still should be thankfull to the management of that time for putting money into new things.[/quote]

I agree with you that it's awesome we have these other great companies to keep the genre alive now that LucasArts won't. You're also right that LucasArts will never fall back on their adventure genre. First off, they won't need to, and secondly, they've isolated their fan base anyhow. I must say, though, I think it's a shame that you call EMI a mediocre game. It was a great game...and besides, don't you realize that some of the Telltale folks were part of the EMI team? Are you trying to make them cry or something?

[quote]After all these things with Sam and Max, I'm wondering why Full Throttle really has been cancelled. Officially it was canned to not upset the fans of the original because it couldn't live up to it. Seeing how they treated us with Sam and Max, I'm starting to doubt that statement.[/quote]

Well, it's easy to point the finger at those LucasArts bastards, especially since the announcement was as short and unexplanatory (if that's not a word it is now) as Sam & Max's, but the truth is that fans really were disappointed with how the game was turning out, and it probably was going to suck. Fans voiced their concern at the game's action-oriented nature, and quite frankly I'm surprised LucasArt kept it in production as long as they did. Also remember that FT2 was cancelled while the most holy Simon Jeffrey was still in power. :)

The problem with Sam & Max 2's cancellation is that nobody saw it coming, the game was looking great, everybody was anxiously waiting for it, it was canceled by an ACTING director, and the press release was so insultingly short and worthless (whereas any Star Wars-related press release, no matter how pointless, gets a grand, 40 page announcement handwritten on papyrus in ancient Hebrew) that fans are still not satisfied.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]And then? Falling back on the things they were good at will be really hard because the people who worked on the nice projects have left the building and ran away. The fans who would have bought a mediocre Lucasarts adventure (e.g. EMI) will think twice before doing that now. [/quote]

Aww but I liked EMI :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

THe main reason why EMI isn't very good is because of a giant plothole near the end where WARNING SPOILER! you find out that Herman Toothrot is actually Elaine's grandfather even though in MI1 this clearly wasn't the case. Also, there were the minor plotholes left over from MI2 as well as some minor glitches. Other than that I didn't see a problem with it.

• Why is it a plothole, in your opinion?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

A plot hole is something in a story that doesn't workout and can't be explained or hasn't been explained by the author. Herman Toothrot clearly arrived on monkey island by boat, he was not pushed into a whirlpool by LeChuck.

Sorry about the rant by the way.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote][quote]And then? Falling back on the things they were good at will be really hard because the people who worked on the nice projects have left the building and ran away. The fans who would have bought a mediocre Lucasarts adventure (e.g. EMI) will think twice before doing that now. [/quote]

Aww but I liked EMI :)[/quote]

So did I. Hurrah, I'm not the only person in the fandom who does. ;)

• [quote]Herman Toothrot clearly arrived on monkey island by boat, he was not pushed into a whirlpool by LeChuck.[/quote]

Marley's "Herman Toothrot" era was after the whole whirlpool incident. When crashed on the other side of the world due to the whirlpool, he didn't know who he was, so he took the name Herman Toothrot. And Herman arrived on Monkey Island in the Sea Monkey.

Add Comment