User Avatar Image

Your first Adventure hook

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 897 users

What adventure game/series hooked you into becoming an adventure nut?

I would have to say my first "favorite" adventure game would have to be Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender.

I played Kings Quest a loooong time ago but I ate the carrot within the first minute and a half and was completely turned off.

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

My first fix was Maniac Mansion on the C64... then, nothing for a long time... then, Monkey Island on a 386.
    Then everything went by faster and faster and faster... :D

(Sometimes in the early 90ies I looked at some Sierra games, but found them to be not very intelligent/funny and not very well designed, except maybe Gabriel Knight 1... I guess many people will disagree with that, but something was missing for me in those Sierra releases... but nevertheless, I'm still hooked on adventures!)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I first started playing Monkey Island when I was three, not that I knew what I was doing.

• It would have been Zork on the school IBM ATs back in 1985 (no mouse, no hard drive). Later I got Zork I, II, III for my commodore Plus/4 and never looked back.

There were quite a few text adventures for the Plus/4 / C16, but most were pretty bad. I recall those awful, awful Scott Adams adventures like Pirate Adventure and some based onMarvel characters.

When my friend got Indy Jones & the Last Crusade we never looked back and got every LucasArts game we could get our hands on.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I played Adventure (yes, as in "you are in a maze of twisty passages all alike"--a phrase which still gives me nightmares) on my family's old Apple IIvx when I was six or seven, I think. Even though I didn't get into actively looking for other adventure games until I first played Myst, when I was 12, Adventure definitely had me hooked. I'm a sucker for retro games.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

sam and max of course as a young 13 year old back in 1993 :D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I remember, my dad had bought a Lucas arts games package. He only did it for the Star Wars games, but there was Day of the Tenticle and Sam and Max hit the road in there. He tried Sam and Max, couldn't get out of the first room and gave up. With my natural talent for beating my dad I gave it a go and first try I was hooked.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I pretty much ignored the adventure game genre for years (I know, I know...). I was pretty much a console and arcade guy. I actually remember looking at just about every classic PC game from the original Lucas Arts and Sierra games (I almost bought Space Quest and Monkey I, but didn't) all the way up until The Last Express and Full Throttle (I still feel bad about the former since its such a great game that flopped so badly). The first game I actually gave in and bought (besides Myst, but that was a gift) was a game called Torin's Passage by Leisure Suit Larry creator Al Lowe. It's a pseudo-comedy adventure that is about a guy looking for his kidnapped parents while he continues to travel deeper and deeper into the multi-layered planet. It's not a great game but it was good enough for me to buy the next adventure game I saw (Curse of MI) which was so good that I've bought just about every even slightly playable Adventure game from Zork onward. The only thing that really bugs me though is that except for Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey (two incredible games) I was never really able to get a really great adventure game right on its release. Hopefully Telltale can help me with that.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Ahh this brings me back a few years.
    The first adventure (or indeed the first computer game) that I played was an onscure non-comercial title "Treasure" on an obsucure soviet machine called RK-86. But the game that got me really into the andventure genre, was Dizzy on ZX Spectrum. Ahh I still have memories of the hard-boiled hero saving the yokefolk.. After that, adventures and I had a strange relationhsip that a less sceptic individual might find fatalistic. It was only after aquiring an SVGA video card that I discovered the pure text adventures (infocoms stuff)
    I learned to appreciate the greatness of Sierra a week before black monday, fell in love with the original Sam and Max a mounth before LA performed a lobothomy, and swore to build a shrine to Cocktail Vision right before they we devoured by Sierra and VU.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I think it was Gobliiins.

But my first CD (at all!!!) was DOTT :D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

omg, Gobliiins, i forgot totally about that game till i read the last post, it was such a cool game..

The games that got me were:

The Secret of Monkey Island, Loom and Indianna Jones and the Last Crusade.

The games that i couldnt bear to play because they seemed so 2nd rate compared to those 3 ingenious creations were:

The quest games, police, larry, space, kings etc... ghay...

anyway... the latest to keep me hooked was:

Grim Fandango, one of the BEST games ive ever played... i used the ash tray logo as my background for MONTHS, longer than any other background on my PC!!
    Thats not to say that i didnt play the new monkey island games but i liked the graphics of 1 and 2 better, the 2d think seems so RIGHT to me... even though Grim Fandango had the 3D graphics i still thought it was fantastic graphics incase anyone gets me wrong...

but omg Gobliiins, its been so long my little green puzzle buddies... i may find it and reinstall see if i can get it to still run..

GoT

oh yer this is my first post and hopefully ill visit this forum often...

This discussion has been closed.