User Avatar Image

A begging Australian

posted by dark moogle on - last edited - Viewed by 372 users

I know we are the bane of gaming society, what with our terrible nation wide internet and all. But I have to speak for the land down under when I say 'PLEASE KEEP THE PRICES LOW'

Australians don't get special treatment from Nintendo, so while we pay more for our Wii Points, our Wii Shopping Channel prices aren't adjusted to compensate for this. So if episodes are priced at anything over 1000 Wii Points, it's going to feel like highway robbery. After checking the prices for Sam & Max episodes, I want to be optimistic but when your an Australian gamer you learn to wait until the last minute only to find out that:

a) the price point is overinflated
b) the game will be delayed several months for no reason
c) features (such as online play in EA games) will be cut
d) all of the above

Don't get me wrong, knowing me I will probably still buy each episode (and I plan on picking up Sam & Max Season One when the disc version comes out) but when you guys finally settle on a price, remember that unemployed Aussie student and how he will be struggling to make ends just to play this cool game for attractive people.

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's coming out on PC too, if the Wii is too expensive.

• My laptop can barely handle the demo for Puzzle Quest, let alone other games.

Honestly, it's been on the edge for a couple months (and the disc drive is performing worse than ever) so I'm kinda waiting for it to die.

• Hmm... VC games can be gifted, can WiiWare be gifted too? If so maybe you can find another kind Australian soul to gift it to you.

• [quote]Australians don't get special treatment from Nintendo, so while we pay more for our Wii Points, our Wii Shopping Channel prices aren't adjusted to compensate for this. So if episodes are priced at anything over 1000 Wii Points, it's going to feel like highway robbery.[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand. For us, 100 Wii points = $1 (I think?). How many Australian dollars is 100 Wii points?

The US dollar's pretty weak compared to the Australian dollar right now (I took a vacation to Sydney in September and felt the hurt, believe me!), so it would seem like that should even things out for you, but maybe I'm missing the point...?

• Our economy is in the crapper, so we are passing on the savings to you!

• @Emily said: I'm not sure I understand. For us, 100 Wii points = $1 (I think?). How many Australian dollars is 100 Wii points?

The US dollar's pretty weak compared to the Australian dollar right now (I took a vacation to Sydney in September and felt the hurt, believe me!), so it would seem like that should even things out for you, but maybe I'm missing the point...?

According to Wikipedia...
    100 Wii Points = AUD 1.50, which is about $1.36 in US dollars.

• User Avatar Image
    Seg

[quote=Freelance Poster;65100]Hmm... VC games can be gifted, can WiiWare be gifted too? If so maybe you can find another kind Australian soul to gift it to you.[/quote]
    WiiWare will be giftable exactly like VC titles are giftable now. To review:

1) You have to pair friend codes between you and the giftee.
    2) You can only gift to people with-in your region.

What I don't know is where Australia fits in. Nintendo treats Australia as apart of Europe for region coding, but I'm not sure if that works for gifting WiiWare/VC titles.

• They always rip us off in Australia... xbox360 games are $120 here in Australia.. $60 in the US which equals about $65 australian..so they are ripping us off $55.. Add to that wii games are released here about 6-8 months after everyone else and you will find plenty of frustrated gamers here in Australia.. 100 wii points should be $1.07 but no they charge $1.50 for no apparent reason! :mad:

Add Comment