46 Comments
  • Hmm. I guess it would depend on the specific context but I don't have the same intuition as you do that most people would tell Beauty about seeing Beast if the situation were reversed. I do agree that gender does play a somewhat bigger role here than in the Faith case but in a different way than what you're describing.

With Beauty, I was hesitant to lie for her because I thought that something might end up happening to her and that I would be at fault if I didn't tell Beast about it. I suppose that part of this may have had something to do with her being a woman (a seemingly small and frail princess no less) and me feeling a need to protect her from whatever seedy activities she's participating in. With Beast, I would be far less concerned about his safety out on the streets so I wouldn't really think about how guilty I would feel if something were to happen to him.

Ultimately, though, I think people end up lying for Beauty for the same reason they end up giving the money to Faith. Most people play through these games trying to be as nice to everyone as possible and promising to keep Beauty's secret and giving Faith the money just seemed like the "nice" things to do in those exchanges. By the time Beast asks them, they had already committed to the promise to Beauty and so they stay true to their word. Gender might have something to do with people's willingness to trust Beauty's intentions, but personally, if Beast asks me not to tell Beauty that I saw him because he doesn't want her to worry, I think that I would be inclined to trust that he isn't doing anything malicious.

That being said, I gave both of them the silent treatment because I refuse to get into that mess.

• I don't know if I would talk to/approach him the same way - if I saw a bigger person duck behind the tree..I would probably be more wary of them. When I saw it was a smaller female, I was just like "I've got this - right, get out here"..lucky they weren't a witch or something I guess, I haven't read fables - so there are probably smaller females who are more dangerous than beast , or large looking males. Or she could have been using glamour. Haha...I guess I need to think about that from now on.

but if he had said exactly the same in the same way, i would still promise not to say anything.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

It think it was more to do with her demeanour and the way she acted rather then the fact that she was a woman.

If a guy had come out and acted the same way, chances are I'd have done the same thing. Conversely, Snow she hadn't acted like she was scared and could do with my help, and instead acted tough and strong, then I may well not have lied to Beast.

Of course, that's just me.

• I don't care if she's a woman or not. My immediate reaction was to go "nah, I'm not getting involved in this bullshit".

Regret nothing

• I chose to give her the money, because it just seemed appropriate at that time. Not because she's a woman, but purely because she needed help. I'd do the same even if it was a male prostitute. But boy, was I so wrong.

I didn't know this stupid Wolf would give ALL THE MONEY he'd got! How much did he give to her, 80-something dollars? Seriously, you got 80 dollars in the pocket and it's really late at night. It's not even your place so eventually you need to grab a taxi. What was he thinking? Idiot...

I believe this whole argument wouldn't even emerge if Wolf 'reasonably' helped her...

Anyway, thanks to his excessive kindness, not only do we doubt his sexism, but also later in the game, the players who chose to compensate her can't even pay for your double-shot whiskey at the bar. A prostitute who didn't even do her job on Woody got 80 dollars from a good Samaritan, and a hard-working Ogre barkeeper whose property got severely wrecked got nothing at all.

• I did lie for Beauty just because I tried to be nice to everyone and she was convincing when she said that it was nothing to worry about.

• i didn't want to be involved with other peoples relationships, get that away from me, plus i didn't have enough information to take sides, so i would have acted the same if it had been beast instead of beauty

• For some reason I thought she was in trouble with him specifically and was thinking I was protecting her from him at first. Later I stuck with it because I had already promised I would and I didn't know what was going on. Whether you want to consider that sexist or not I guess that's really up to you.

And yes I gave money to the hooker, a poor defenseless woman in the middle of nowhere with no way to get any where, just seemed like the appropriate thing to do. Again, not really sure if that's considered sexist or not, not even sure I care if it is. While I might rethink the Beauty and Beast decision, I stand by this one.

• I just felt Like I wanted to help she got slapped around and I didn't want to be an asshole

Add Comment