User Avatar Image

Is Telltale's new IP Game of Thrones?

posted by Dildor on - last edited by Vainamoinen - Viewed by 2.7K users

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/telltale-is-developing-a-game-of-thrones-game

http://kotaku.com/report-the-walking-dead-developers-are-doing-a-game-of-1469274160

Telltale Games, the studio behind the critically-acclaimed The Walking Dead game series, is now working on at least one Game of Thrones video game, IGN reports.P

That's a perfect fit—and undoubtedly cool news to anyone who enjoys the murdery HBO series. IGN says they don't know when or where the game(s) would be set, but Telltale has a great track record, and although there haven't been any good Game of Thrones video games yet, who wouldn't love the thought of an episodic adventure series in Westeros filled with terrible, terrible choices?

Season two of The Walking Dead game series is slated to start later this year. No word on when this Game of Thrones game would launch, or how many games it would consist of, but the pieces fit. In a recent Reddit AMA, Telltale co-founder Dan Connors hinted that they had something big in the works: "We will be working on a few licenses that definitely fall into our dream IP scenario and we can't wait to announce those," he wrote.P

We've reached out to Telltale for comment on this rumor, and will update should we hear back from them.P

UPDATE: From Telltale exec Steve Allison: "We get these sorts of rumors about what we could be working on next cropping up all the time. Officially we have no comment."

What do you guys think, legit?

51 Comments
  • A Telltale game based on A Song of Ice and Fire. Wow. That's all I ever wanted. Please be true, please be true.

• I really hope this turns out to be true. If there's a studio that can do the books justice, it's Telltale. They've got a very good track record so far - both The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us are great series, that not just stay true to the source material, but expand on it as well. And I think that's the only way you can possibly adapt a series as big as A Song of Ice and Fire into a video game. The RPG approach failed, and it wasn't just because of the studio's ineptitude, but because you can't dumb the series down to fit your typical RPG archetype.

So if this is true, my inner fanboy will explode when Telltale confirms it. GRRM, I hope you've learned your lesson from Cyanide, and decided to go with an amazing studio like Telltale.

• If this is legit than yay for the fans I guess..Looks like I won't be buying it since I'm not a fan of midevil or roman time periods. :I I still wish Telltale the best of luck on whatever they are working on even Game of thrones :P

• @soundwave145 wrote:
    will this game of thrones game delay the wolf and the walking dead?

It seems like its taking some time between each episode, now they are working on a third game.

Doubt it, didn't someone at Telltale say they have multiple teams or something? I may be wrong though.

• Telltale's been hiring a lot lately, so I don't think it'll impact the game series they're currently working on. If the rumors are actually true and they are working on a Game of Thrones game, I don't think we'll see it anytime soon. At least, not until they release the fifth episode of The Wolf Among Us.

And they've always taken this long between episodes. Remember the first season of The Walking Dead? It usually took them a couple of months to release a new episode. I don't think that'll change.

• If it's true than they should just work on it after The wolf among us and The Walking dead season 2.

• User Avatar Image
    FreddeN93 BANNED

This Game of the Thrones is probably a future project after The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. But god help them if they even try to squeeze this in between TWAU, and TWD.

• I am not into Game of Thrones.

Buuut: I wasn't into The Walking Dead. And I never heard of Fables. Until that stupid company named Telltale Games made games out of them. So I am prepared to get sucked into Game of Thrones.

• I'm with you. I almost didn't pick up The Walking Dead because I hated the TV so much, and I hadn't heard of Fables either but I pre-ordered that without question.

I've got good faith in TTG, no matter the IP they're working with. The technical improvements and stylistic experiments with The Wolf Among Us have impressed me so far, so I'm glad to see they're actively listening to feedback and not just pumping out game after game with the same setup.

...I'd still buy their games even if they pumped them out like COD games, you know, but that's not the point.

• User Avatar Image
    FreddeN93 BANNED

I'm not very hyped over this as I hate the series. Depends however if Telltale can turn it into something new.

Add Comment