User Avatar Image

Tales from the Borderlands Unofficial FAQ (Read before posting!)

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 17.4K users

Tales from the Borderlands Unofficial FAQ (Last Update on August 31, 2014)

All information in this FAQ is compiled by community moderators Jennifer, Vainamoinen, and Blind Sniper. We check our facts thoroughly and have a lot of Telltale experience on our backs, but this is not an 'official' source, we're just volunteers!

(1) What exactly is "Tales from the Borderlands"?
TftB is an upcoming episodic game set in the Borderlands game universe after Borderlands 2 and its DLC.

(2) What kind of game can we expect?
Telltale has only just established its new trademark game style with The Walking Dead in 2012. We don't expect that style to change completely for Borderlands. Telltale focuses on new storylines, (mostly) new characters and aims to tell new, intricate stories in well-known settings. The game progresses through the player's dialog and plot choices, interspersed with carefully orchestrated QTE action sequences.

(3) So no shooting?!
Oh, in one way or another, people will certainly shoot and get shot at. Probably not in the FPS kind of way, and not quite as often though. During the SXSW Tales from the Borderlands panel, it was mentioned by one of the game designers that there would be shooting segments in the game - "just in a Telltale kind of way." This was further elaborated upon in the May 2014 issue of the Official Xbox Magazine, where it was revealed that the shooting sequences will fall somewhere in between the Borderlands and Telltale style of action sequences.

(4) When and where in the Borderlands timeline is this game set?
During the Tales from the Borderlands SXSW panel, it was mentioned that the game takes place in Pandora after Borderlands 2 and its DLC.

(5) Who will you play as in Tales from The Borderlands?
During the Tales from the Borderlands SXSW panel, it was revealed that the narrative will switch between the perspective of two original characters created for the game - Rhys and Fiona. Both narratives will conflict with each other and sometimes reality, as both characters are driven by greed. Kevin Bruner of Telltale mentioned during the SXSW Tales from the Borderlands panel that the two characters will both tell their style of a "BIg Fish" style narrative.

(6) Will characters from the original Borderlands games return, and will the original voice cast be coming back?
Some characters from the original Borderlands games will be making a return, as will their voice actors. Dameon Clarke is reprising his role as Handsome Jack, and he will be joined by other members of the Borderlands cast as well as actors new to the Borderlands series, siuch as Partrick Warburton, Sam Witwer, Nolan North, and Chris Hardwick.

(7) The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us both have players making tough choices. What kinds of choices will you make in Tales from The Borderlands?
According to the Tales from the Borderlands SXSW Panel, instead of tough moral choices, players will be presented with a couple extremely desirable options - picking what they feel is the better of the options to choose. The two playable characters - Rhys and Fiona, are both driven by greed, so that will likely come into play as well.

(8) Are the original creators of the Borderlands game involved?
Telltale community lady @puzzlebox has described the project genesis on her twitter as follows: "Telltalegames and Gearbox Software got drunk at last year's VGAs and now they're having a Borderlands baby".

The father will get visiting rights. In the May 2014 issue of the Official Xbox Magazine, it was revealed that Gearbox Software would be acting in a consulting role, making sure that the story and characters stay true to the greater Borderlands universe.

(9) For which platforms will Tales from the Borderlands be available?
At the Sony presentation at E3 2014, it was revealed that Tales from the Borderlands would release for PlayStation Vita. At PAX 2014, it was revealed that it would also be released for PC (Mac wasn't mentioned specifically, but it's almost a certainty), consoles (no specifics, but PS3 and Xbox 360 is likely), Android, and Kindle.

(10) How much will it cost?
No info as well. It's unlikely that Telltale will raise its present price tag for full Seasons (25$) or single episodes (5$) significantly though.

(11) I'm new to all that episodic game stuff. How are they doing this?
You can expect to receive a new episode roughly every five to eight weeks. Each episode contains an individual part of a story that is held together through a narrative that connects all of the episodes together into what Telltale calls a season. Think along the lines of a serialized television series such as Lost. An episode usually lasts about as long as a good movie would.

(12) How many episodes will there be?
At PAX 2014, it was revealed that Tales from the Borderlands will consist of five episodes.

(13) When will the episodes be released?
At PAX 2014, it was revealed that the first episode of Tales from the Borderlands will be released in Autumn 2014.

(14) Will the different platforms release simultaneously?
Almost. Telltale has come a long way since 2009, when the PC and console releases of their episodes were months apart. Nowadays, most platforms released within days of each other, and even these small lags were only due to the different release schedules of XBLA and PSN NA. However, PSN Europe always lagged a bit more. It is to be expected that these lags will also be apparent and unavoidable during the "Tales from the Borderlands" release. Be prepared!

(15) Are there concrete release dates for all these episodes?
Ok, here's the really really important part. There absolutely are not!! While Telltale doesn't start each new episode 'from scratch', large parts of the development cycle still take place during these release months. From writing to animation to voice acting to possible gamer input from the forums, it all comes together to form a new episode only weeks and days before release; and eventually, another time frame insecurity is added when console manufacturers receive the final build of the episodes for their quality assurance process.

As a consequence, fixed dates will only be announced mere days before an episode releases (in Telltale's blog, on their twitter, facebook page, etc.). Don't ever believe dates given by various unofficial sites! These are nothing but estimates, placeholder dates and possibly wishful thinking.

(16) For which languages will the game be available?
No info yet. At launch, Telltale mostly only does English.

(17) Will there be a bonus/free collector's DVD version available when I purchase the game directly from the Telltale store?
No info yet. The chance is there of course. ;)

30 Comments
  • Something of a logical question from me, which would also apply to Game of Thrones... if you haven't played any of the previous Borderlands games, are you going to be totally lost story wise? One of the nice things about Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us was that I had only read the first arc of the former (and have yet to see any of the television series) whilst with the latter I haven't read a Fables comic yet. But they were still totally easy to pick up and play and enjoy. So I was wondering if people like me might be considered with Borderlands or if I'm going to have to track down the two previous games so I know who Handsome Jack and all the Robot types are.

• User Avatar Image
      Vainamoinen Moderator

There is ... of course ... no official info yet, but it's an interesting question! ;)

That probably depends on how easy the setting and mechanics of the world of Borderlands (Pandora) are to understand. As Telltale is mostly focusing on new stories and new characters, that remains a pretty decisive factor. They usually don't bring in much of all that complex history that comes with already established characters, which in principle makes their series ideal for new players.

Getting the gist of the franchise storyline across wasn't really a problem for The Walking Dead, where six words totally suffice to explain the entire setting ("zombie apocalypse, everyone's got the virus"). The Wolf among Us was a bit more complex here, although it's a prequel in principle. Telltale solved the issue by adding a 'dictionary' to the game ("Book of Fables") to explain central concepts and characters.

Bottom line, Telltale really wants to make these games approachable to everyone. I guess they will always try to find a way to introduce newcomers to their franchises.

• Thanks! Something to bear in mind. I have to say that the Book of Fables in TWAU really helps with the background of the world of Fables, but as you say with Walking Dead, since it's taking place in the same universe but not with the same characters, an indepth knowledge of who that bloke called Rick and that nasty Goverenor fellow with the eyepatch isn't essential. So whilst I all for games building up complex universes it's important to let newbies like me jump in, see if I enjoy myself and then possibly go and nab the other games. The exact premise - a wild west cyborg alien world - does interest me after all and this might be a nice jumping in point.

Same goes for GOT - I know, shocking that someone HASN'T seen that yet and whose knowledge of the series extends to 'there's a blonde dirty princess girl with a pet dragon, some short Lanisomething in charge, a really big wall of ice and some very incestous siblings' but it does happen. I know if there was actually a Doctor Who TT game, as a fan I wouldn't expect everyone playing to know their Axons from their Autons and their Zygons from their Zarbi. :) As long as the games can cater to fans and newcomers alike I'll be happy.

• User Avatar Image
          Vainamoinen Moderator

So whilst I all for games building up complex universes it's important to let newbies like me jump in, see if I enjoy myself and then possibly go and nab the other games.

It probably usually works the other way 'round, but you're absolutely not alone here. Of course, Gearbox would finally have to come to gog.com or at least the Humble store DRM free before I pick up their stuff. BUT I'd be first in line, and we probably still have another year to catch up! ;)

• Ha ha. One day Telltale will be doing episodic games for everything. It'll be beautiful. Honestly can't wait for a Doctor Who and Breaking Bad one. I can feel it coming.

• Can I expect something about the game to GDC, E3 or Gamescom 2014?

• User Avatar Image
    Blind Sniper Moderator

Just updated the FAQ with a few details from the SXSW Tales from the Borderlands panel.

• Please telltale games change poster of tales from the borderlands at games page please then its look more interesting..i have requested you..

• User Avatar Image
      Blind Sniper Moderator

They haven't openly shown much of the game - even taking the panel into consideration - so I'm not sure there is much they could add to the picture that they are willing to show fans at this point.

• Please upload it to android as well :) we need games like that in our platform
  • Please include Claptrap. :) I love Claptrap.
  • What I want to know is if the episodes are going to be short or reasonable. I mean, when I played TWAU and TWDS2, their episodes are so damn short. They are like maybe 1 hr. and a half or less. I was somewhat disappointed in TWAU ep. 5 when it came out. It literally almost took me 1 hr. to beat. I love this company and their games, but these episodes are just short now; compared to TWDS1.

• User Avatar Image
      Jennifer Moderator

They'll hopefully be longer. Telltale does take fan and critic criticism into account, and the length of their newest games is one of the biggest complaints for The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead Season Two. Also, there will be more action in this game too (it looks like we'll be getting something other than QTE fights for a change), so hopefully that will help the length somewhat.

• Btw, maybe you can answer a question for me. People keep talking about a "Fast walk" button or something. I don't know what it is or noticed anything about it. Unless they were talking about what they had when I played TWD S1. For example, I have the Xbox 360. So while I played TWD S1, and replayed an episode, I pressed the X button or the "Back" button on the controller and it skipped part of a cutscene. I don't if that was the "Fast Walk" button or not because I tried using that button while I replayed episodes from TWAU and TWD S2 and it doesn't work this time; which is a little annoying on my part.

• Recent interviews says 5 episodes. They also stated "Android, vita, kindle" aside consoles and mobiles.

• This (obviously) confirms the PC platform (mark at 3:29): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6vdX1X6ZgE

Oh, on a side note, he also confirms GoT from 2014.

Add Comment