User Avatar Image

Another half-assed "Your choices matter, really!" game from Telltale.

posted by GreenFX on - last edited - Viewed by 8.6K users

Takes you guys all year to start giving us new WD episodes, yet we get perhaps the most linear game on the market when it arrives.

I can't believe you have got away with fraudulently telling players that their choices matter, let alone making such a short episode which sugar coated the most generic plot yet.

You could have used this opportunity to do something revolutionary, instead we get the most predictable sequel in the world which is just an awkward mess to play.

The decision to make us play as Clementine is the most limiting thing you could have done, there's two choices that gave you with gameplay: cut out fight sequences altogether, or give a little girl some incredibly realistic strength.

I see you picked the dumb option.

If you're going to force us down a specific path, make the plot GOOD.

The animations still suck, the exploring is slow, the choices are meaningless, action sequences have poor button response so that players have to redo things to extend gameplay time.

It sucks, you deserve that 6/10 from GameSpot. I wondered why it was so cheap for a season pass, now I know that you're self aware of your own failure to make something fun; you're cashing in already.

Edit: more complaints and grievances:

As a user mentioned below, the whole campfire "puzzle" what the hell was that? You could have made the areas MUCH bigger too, could have made the camp bigger and allowed us to find certain objects that could have been used to make things easier later in the game.. Nope! It's not rocket science, this is one of the least challenging games i've played in my life.

An infant could beat this game.

Try and get in the house!

Pro tip: walk to the furthest away entrance to the house, we want this to take you as long as possible, then press A

You could have allowed us to get out the shed without a hammer for instance, have us walk around then THINK... Hmmm.. I need something to get under the house, if we missed it the first time.. We backtrack to the shed and pick up the hammer, THOSE are the sort of things you should be doing to extend the playtime, not giving us action sequences that we have to repeat 3 times to beat.

..and the zombie thing in the shed was so stupid, since when have you seen a zombie get down on it's stomach and crawl through a hole, despite how dumb that was.. It was extremely predictable, I could have written a better plot if you gave me half an hour.

This doesn't do the first season justice at all, which at times had intelligent puzzle solving and a plot with many twists and turns. Now we get "Guess who everybody! They're not dead!"

No replay value. At. All.

158 Comments
  • I still can't believe 10 people liked the opening to this thread. All the hate is just over the top and childish, like seriously, get a grip on yourselves, will ya? Sure, there are minor flaws with the first episode, but it is still really enjoyable in my opinion.

• -> Only played Episode 1 -> Says choices don't matter.

Obvious troll is obvious. If not trolling then seriously retarded.

• You should seriously take half an hour to write a better episode, GreenFX. I'm sure TellTale would be very curious to read your thoughts about it.

I'm not even being sarcastic here... I loved the episode, but I can understand some people didn't like it. So, instead of only pointing what you consider flaws, tell clearly what you have in mind. What do you want for this game?

That would be a constructive topic. For now, this topic is sadly... not.

• I disagree with you on so many levels. I'm not even gonna bother trying to counter most of your complaints because others have done a better job but I will say that "zombies crawling on their stomachs are stupid" is grasping at straws. Have you read the comics ? Zombies have done for more then crawl to get tasty human meat. However for your complaints that aren't canonically invalid, your allowed to have your opinion I guess, no matter how much I disagree and argue with you I doubt I'd change your mind.

• As someone who really enjoyed the first episode for what it was, the criticisms this guy makes in the OP are completely valid. The puzzle aspects of this game are left with so much room to expand on; you would think by playing as a ten year old girl you would have to rely on strategy and utilising your environment, but there was was another "kicking the zombie away while reaching for an item" -sequence, that destroyed the illusion of being vulnerable that the episode started off with. Having different paths to explore that change the difficulty of reaching your goal or punish the player, is good level design because it makes you think about your environment, like you would be doing in a zombie apocalypse. If the player is challenged to search their environment, or use hints in dialogue to solve a puzzle, they become more immersed and it feels less like you're being spoon-fed.

It feels like telltale considered the possibility of throwing in content that wouldn't streamline you to your objective and just assumed the player would be confused by it and too frustrated to continue playing.

There is room to be more ambitious with level design, difficulty and puzzles; cramped spaces and invisible walls guiding you in a single direction are evidence of this. Stop trying to close discussion on the points expressed in the OP.

• 4/10. Implies that stuff sucked about the first season and then bought into the second one. A good attempt though.

• I don't understand this. Your choices do matter in the game, just they don't change the whole story. That's how it's supposed to be, you have a limited ability to make decisions at important parts of the story, like sparing someone's life, helping others or not, being selfish or not etc. You have the ability to shape your character's personality decide what is right or wrong for them, ofcourse you can't change the entire plot with your every decision, that is not how role playing games work, and not to mention it'd would make it almost impossible for developers to do that, there'd be nearly unlimited ways for the story to go if you could affect everything with every choice you make. Somethings cannot be changed for the sake of the story, you cannot influence certain events, for example I was pretty upset when I couldn't prevent Carley's death, but that's just how it is, that's life for you. It happened, it sucked, but there I was, left with a choice: Could I forgive Lilly for what she had done, or not? That is the things you can change, that's where your choices matter in the game. About gameplay length, I can understand that, it's too short and simple in most cases, I would like to be able to explore more, use different approaches for doing puzzle-like scenes. I would love to look around a bit more before immediately finding what I'm looking for.

• I think you're confusing this with Mass Effect 3. We all remember what happened in Mass Effect 3, right? Let's not do that again.

• The problem with such an episodic, budget game made by a small company is that there are going to be some limits one would see in the game. Expecting a game where the game ventures off into a completely different scenario would be too expensive and time consuming for Telltale to produce. Imagine having the Doug or the gal (forgot her name) surviving throughout the season. That would cost a lot to make unique scenarios for, as well as having the actors record the lines.

Since season 1 did so well, season 2 might have gotten a bigger budget and the choices one made in saving Nick or the old guy might be less linear than saving Doug or the reporter in season 1.

Other than that, the TT games has went a long way since Tales of Monkey Island; there is no more being confine to one area in an entire season and the characters are no longer generic-looking. These were very prominent in the TT games where you are stuck in one location in one season (Sam and Max) or meeting different people, but with the same models (TOMI)

Add Comment