Menu
User Avatar Image

Thorn's new voice

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 860 users

Hi there! Just played the demo of Bone 2, and it looks really great! It feels much "bigger" than the first one, just from the dialogue alone! Great stuff!

I do have one little complaint, though, and that's Thorn's new voice; she sounds FAR too young! :( Also, the actress who's playing her doesn't hit the right stresses and speaks way too fast compared to the rest of the actors.

It's a bit of a shame. Although it jars, thankfully it doesn't spoil the the game - it's still great fun!

I understand that you wanted to make Thorn sound more "naive" at this point in the adventure, but I think it was a little too much. Thorn has always been sort of "sexy" in the comics (remember the "nude bathing" that shocks Phone Bone so much?). I always imagined her to be around 17; naive about the world, but strong willed. But now she sounds about 12!

I wonder if this change was made under pressure from Jeff Smith? If so, I think that while he's a genius for writing Bone and Rose in the first place, you should perhaps stick to your guns. If he had nothing to do with it, then please consider changing the actress again!

Otherwise fantastic stuff! The voices for Bone and his brothers were absolutely perfect, same goes for our two favourite rat creatures - wonderful!

Thanks a lot for another great adventure (I noticed the subtle Monkey Island reference in the demo: I guess we know who came up with that joke in MI1 now! :))

- Johnny

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

People like you and your constrictive morality are the reason Fone Bone will end up being brutalised and denigrated in some filthy prison cell, only to be harassed and hounded to the end of his days by your good self and your ilk upon his eventual release. You disgust me. I for one welcome Telltale's inclusive, nonjudgemental approach to designing adventures.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]People like you and your constrictive morality are the reason Fone Bone will end up being brutalised and denigrated in some filthy prison cell, only to be harassed and hounded to the end of his days by your good self and your ilk upon his eventual release. You disgust me. I for one welcome Telltale's inclusive, nonjudgemental approach to designing adventures.[/quote]

Lol! :)) Of course, YOU'RE the one who's judging, because we don't know how old Fone Bone is! :)

• Here's a comment Heather made about Thorn during last week's developer's chat at Adventure Gamers:

[quote]Thorn is a really interesting character, both because of how she is presented in the comic (visually) and because of the transformations she undergoes.

She is supposed to be a youngish to mid teen. At this point in the story, she is pretty innocent and going through that awkward teenage phase. Keep an eye on her though....[/quote]

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Here's a comment Heather made about Thorn during last week's developer's chat at Adventure Gamers:

[quote]Thorn is a really interesting character, both because of how she is presented in the comic (visually) and because of the transformations she undergoes.

She is supposed to be a youngish to mid teen. At this point in the story, she is pretty innocent and going through that awkward teenage phase. Keep an eye on her though....[/quote][/quote]

Hmmm. It seems completely unnecessary to tie Thorn to a particular age, especially one so young, when everyone assumes she's supposed to be older. Sher certainly acts like a 17 year old who's never had much conflict in their life, which seemed pretty perfect to me.

Plus, there's the fact that it's just so jarring to get used to one voice, only to have it change for apparently no reason.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Telltale generally seems to have trouble with human characters.
    I find it very weird.. the bones, the dragon, the rat creatures.. all very nicely animated and voiced while so to speak all the humans in Bone ep. 1&2 are pretty bad in both animation and voicing.
    It's really weird and I really hope this is something they will try to improve for Bone ep.3 and perhaps re-release the first two with better human voice acting and animations.

I'm currently replaying Bone 1 and it's not as bad as I remember except for those terrible humans. Except for that, it's good enough for a first episode.. at least now when the price is reduced.

Edit - in episode 2, the voice acting for the humans is better, but Thorns voice is still not good.. it seems Telltale has trouble doing female voices for some reason.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I thought the humans in The Great Cow Race were all, at the very worst, good; Lucius in particular I thought was brilliantly animated and modelled, I loved the modelling and texturing of the negative guy in the bar, and Thorn had her moments with animation too. I can see your point with human characters in Out from Boneville though (it'd be great if it were updated to have a better animated Thorn.) I also thought the voice seemed a bit off in Out from Boneville, but was perfect in The Great Cow Race, though I haven't yet read the comics. I still think Fone Bone needs to be recast with a James Mason soundalike though.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Yes I agree it was improved in episode 2, but I still don't think the humans are on par with the other characters.
    The honey salesman for instance.. I didn't particularly like that model.

• [quote]Yes I agree it was improved in episode 2, but I still don't think the humans are on par with the other characters.
    The honey salesman for instance.. I didn't particularly like that model.[/quote]

Really? He was my favorite.

I thought the character and the voice were spot on. He was actually pretty cute, for a cartoon! :))

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Oh hehe :)
    Well for some reason I think he looks.. weird.

But the models are much better in episode 2.
    You have to agree though, Emily, that the model for Thorn in episode 1 is not very good?

• Oh, I agree. I think the second iteration of the Thorn model is much closer to the comic (and a lot less scary looking!)

Add Comment