User Avatar Image

Animation Style

posted by Optimaximal on - last edited - Viewed by 380 users

So, will W&G be 'smoothly animated' like most 3D games or are you/Aardman going for a stop-motion tribute?

I only ask because I saw that screenshot of Gromit and I just remembered the funny stop-motion plasticine walk he has and how some sort of smooth animation would ruin it.

Sort it Telltale! Lock W&G at 25fps! :)

14 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Heh, I don't think 25fps would give you the result you're thinking of. Film is 24fps, and I believe W&G is animated on twos, which means the animation is 12fps. But, camera movements are often still done at 24, so only the characters move at 12 :)

That said, I have no idea what the final system we use will be :)

• Also, Gromit walking around the house in the current build looks very accurate and awesome, at any FPS. Tim, the guy who animated him for our game, did a great job. It captures Gromit's "insane bundle of limbs flying around" walk extremely well.

• :)
    Yay. Here's to a childhood memory that won't be ruined by a poorly made game!

• @dg10050 said: :)
    Yay. Here's to a childhood memory that won't be ruined by a poorly made game!

And here's to Batman Forever.

• @TrogLlama said: And here's to Batman Forever.

The new Batman movies ruin my childhood memories of terrible Batman movies, by being too good.

Back on topic, I know what Optimaximal is talking about. Clay animation does have a unique look to the movement, so here's hoping. Character animation in the trailer seems to capture it pretty well so far.

• They managed to get the claymation feel in Flushed Away and that was all done in those computer doohickeys. I feel confident that Telltale will prevail. A trick would be to put in "fingerprints" on the characters. Odd spots every so often that result from moving the clay characters. Might be a bit over the top for the main game, but cut scenes and such may not be too resource intensive.

• @LuigiHann said: The new Batman movies ruin my childhood memories of terrible Batman movies, by being too good.

To be fair, George Clooney's Batman hurts me... on the inside

I digress, The walk cycle of Grommit has always looked awesome, but looks decidedly difficult to replicate. I'd be impressed if anybody would even get it half-right, I have faith in the staff though!

• Please note that the game will clocked at 60 FPS at all time with Benny Hill music going on and on and on...

• @MeaningOfLife said: with Benny Hill music going on and on and on...

Oh god! Flashbacks from comedy Saturday on the BBC!

Just shoot me in the face instead!

• @Jake said: Also, Gromit walking around the house in the current build looks very accurate and awesome, at any FPS. Tim, the guy who animated him for our game, did a great job. It captures Gromit's "insane bundle of limbs flying around" walk extremely well.

Cool! It's not easy mimicking someone else's style. I think this is especially the case here.

Can't wait to see everything in action.

--Erwin

Add Comment