User Avatar Image

So how "true" to hit the road should telltale be?

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 596 users

Lets face it, it's a tough game to follow up ;) Do you think the new game should play exactly as hit the road? Inventory, moving to locations, etc I imagine talking to characters would be the same, actually probably better judging from Bone, and there would be some cool mini games as well. There needs to be some absurd puzzles though.. What do you think? What from hit the road do you think has to be part of the new game?

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I'd love it to have all the best elements from the comics/Hit the Road/cartoon. However, in my mind the most important part is:

The relationship between Sam and Max

If the dialogue doesn't make us believe these guys are best buddies after about 3 lines then it's a failure. The thing I loved most about Hit the Road was the way the two main characters interacted with each other. Sam uses Max like a tool but he loves him like his good pal.

Such good friends, such insane happenings :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I just hope they don't make it anywhere near as easy as Bone. Bone can hardly be called an adventure game really, it's more like an interactive story for children :p
    But it looks nice enough and has good enough voice acting (except for the horrible women), so those are things I hope will be put into Sam'n Max. I only hope they change the gameplay a lot - out with the minigames and in with challenging puzzles and worlds to explore! And I also want the option to examine everything, not only stuff you need.
    That was missing from Bone, and that is very important in an adventure game I think.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I´d say a Sam & Max game would need at least one minigame. I mean who could ever forget the beloved Wak-a-Rat.

• There were some great minigames in the cancelled Freelance Police including a great looking dance-off. As Purcell owns the story to that game, I'm hoping we'll see some elements/ideas from FP make an appearance in some form or another in the Telltale game(s).

• I didn't really find the cartoon all that great compared to the game. I would like the new game to stay as true to the first one as possible. It will take some getting used to having character voices since I had the floppy version. (I think I played a demo with voices or maybe that was DOTT) As much as I enjoy the voice acting for games I think there is something to be said for the old adventure games when they were all just text. It is like if someone read a book to you or if you read it yourself. Giving a character the tone and voice you choose can make a huge difference. But enough talking about old adventure games for now. I'd love to see carbomb back. It was such a fun mini game.

ps. I remember going through that tunnel of love so many damn times before I figured out what I really needed to do.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I also agree that they really need to get the relatuonship between sam and max to be believable and funny. It should be very exciting to see what they have come up with.

• [quote] It will take some getting used to having character voices since I had the floppy version. (I think I played a demo with voices or maybe that was DOTT) As much as I enjoy the voice acting for games I think there is something to be said for the old adventure games when they were all just text. It is like if someone read a book to you or if you read it yourself. Giving a character the tone and voice you choose can make a huge difference. [/quote]

You needn't worry - the voice acting on Hit the Road was superb!

I guess there may be a subtitle / no voice option in the setup menu so you can play it retro-style if you prefer.

• were the voices done by the same people in the cartoon? I think I remember someone saying they were.

on that note is the first sam & max game abandonware now? Even if it is not how illegal would it be for me to grab the voiced version? I've got the floppy one but haven't had a floppy drive for such a long time. actually I wonder if it will work on XP anyway..

it would be nice if telltale bundled sam & max 1 with sam & max 2 as a bonus.

• [quote]were the voices done by the same people in the cartoon? I think I remember someone saying they were.[/quote]
    Actually, the cartoon series voice actors were different from the computer game ones (Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson). I don't remember the names of the TV series actors.

[quote]it would be nice if telltale bundled sam & max 1 with sam & max 2 as a bonus[/quote]
    Yes, and it would be nice if Telltale also bundled Day of the Tentacle, the Monkey Island games, Full Throttle, and all of LucasArts other games with the new Sam & Max episode. It would also be nice if Donald Trump named me in his will. But these things are not meant to be. Mostly because LucasArts would never consent to such a thing since they own the rights to those games including the original Sam & Max Hit the Road, but also because Trump is a selfish greed monkey who doesn't know who I am. Damn you, Trump!!!!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

The voice actors for Hit The Road were brilliant as JP said.. That guy nailed max! exactly as I imagined in my head, it would be great to have them back, I jeard they made recordings for freelance police..

Add Comment