User Avatar Image

Adventure Games: 3D vs. 2D

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1.0K users

I'm not sure if it's kosher to make my first post here a new topic, but this thread idea pertains well to an adventure gaming board.

As an adventure-gamer, do you prefer sprite-based games (Day of the Tentacle, Kings Quest, etc.) or 3D-modeled games (Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 4)?

I personally prefer the scheme of a good old 2D adventure game, because 3D adventure games seem harder to control, especially since they don't use the mouse. I guess I wouldn't complain if I could use the mouse when I control my characters' movements, though.

63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I like both as long as they are done right, and 3d suits action adventures better, ( TRUE action adventures like the alone in the dark trilogy and timegate)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I prefer the retro 2D games myself; but that's just because I like old technology.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I prefer 3-D. 2-D games,(this is my guess) will get most of the people's votes around here due to the all the classic scumm games. Anyway, by 3-D, I mean the whole hog. None of that half asked prerendered background, 3-D models type of "3-D". Otherwise I vote 2-D. By the way,you should keep a tally of who votes for what.

2-D Sofar=6
    3-D Sofar=2
    On the Fence=3

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

My vote goes to 2D. Even though Grim was great and all, the control system was definitely strange. I much prefer mousedriven interfaces such as Full Throttle's, or even the old verb-based pre-Monkey Island games.

If a 3D adventure game comes along that is done the right way, I might come to terms with the use of 3D. But that requires that the controls still be 2D (ie mouse driven interface á la Sam & Max) and the entire game world be fully 3D (ie no pre-rendered backgrounds) and have dynamic (possibly user-controllable) camera movement (with well-defined "scenes") and other stuff that will add to the feeling of playing a really great interactive movie.

But of course, the story is the most important in an adventure, so don't get sidetracked.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

You can always but a verb system into 3-D, even Point and Click Movement. Sure the GrimE engine wwas buggy, hard to control and wasn't fooling anyone to the fact it wasn't full 3-D, but it was only the start, (and looking more like the end,) of Lucasarts 3-D adventures. If a company like Lucasarts developed a 3-D Adventure game today it would be full 3-D not imitation 3-D.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I finished both monkey 4 and grim and didn t like the controls at all, only the games humor made me continue. i prefer a million times the old "point and click"...

in fact, i have played dozens of times lucas 2D adventures (well, except loom), but just thinking about the awkward controls makes me not wanting to replay the half-3D ones.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

2D is the greatest for my likes/needs... In fact, I like 320x240 games better than bigger resolutions, pixels are sweet! ;) And those games work great on ScummVM for my Palm PDA, where the interface is just right for adventure gaming: just point&click the stylus, even more simple than mouse-interaction. You got one axis less to 'translate', you work direct on the screen.

Fake-3D games like Grim Fandango or MI4 sure aren't as nice to control, but in the meantime there have been some more games that use pre-rendered backgrounds and 3D-characters put in them: Syberia, Longest Journey, etc. - Those games are much better to control than the older ones...

I also played Uru - Ages Beyond Myst, which is a DX9-full-3D adventure/puzzle-game (the first one I've tried) and to my surprise it was extremely nice to handle.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Although 3d adventures can be fun and nice and all, I do prefere 2d adventures.
    Why?
    1) it has a more home-y feeling (being an oldskool adventurer)
    2) 2d graphics can be nowadays used to the max without any problems. 3d depends too much on the hardware (and software/library) to show it's quality.

I'd love to see another SCUMM game (maybe SCUMM version 9 perhaps?)

...but then again, I guess we're all saying that, because most (awesome) adventures we've played were 2d ...for a simple reason that back then 3d was waaaay chunkier then nowadays. and I'm sure if you'd ask an adventurer in the 80's the same question about text or graphic, he'd say "text!"

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Come to think of it, I have actually played one Grim/MI4-like fake-3D adventure game (pre-rendered backgrounds, some 3D / some prerendered characters) that had a point-and-click interface and actually played quite nicely. Of course, I'm talking about Discworld Noir. The story didn't quite appeal to me as much as the first two Discworld games did (bring back Rincewind!) but the game engine itself was pretty much flawless.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote] It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.[/quote]

Ah yeah, those were the days! :))
    Let's all head to Flood Control Dam #3...

Add Comment