User Avatar Image

Google Chrome

posted by Guybrush Threepwood on - last edited - Viewed by 412 users

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html
http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

Launching today is a beta of Google's new open-source browser, Google Chrome. It should be interesting to see how this turns out and I'm more than happy to make this my default browser if it produces the goods.

Click the top link for more information and then the second link for the comic book which introduced it all yesterday!

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • looks interesting, i might have to try it out.

• I'll give it a shot sometime soon. More competition in the browser market is a good thing. Especially with open source, it improves the web for the users of all browsers.

The comic provides the insight that there are some VERY interesting ideas going into Chrome. I chose to switch from IE to Firefox because it had very interesting ideas and features, and if Chrome ends up being the superior of the two I'll be happy to switch.

Even if Firefox has a neat name and an awesome logo. =p

• Definitely looking into this. Firefox is good and all, but there's a bit of feature creep lately, and no options to turn them off without fiddling in the about:config page (I hate the Awesome Bar.)

• @Badwolf said: Definitely looking into this. Firefox is good and all, but there's a bit of feature creep lately, and no options to turn them off without fiddling in the about:config page (I hate the Awesome Bar.)

What's wrong with the Awesome Bar? Depending on what you dislike...

....you may not be too happy with Chrome's Omnibox.

Also, people should name their features with positive adjectives all the time. "Wow, I hate Microsoft Best OS Ever." Every insult sounds like sarcasm. =p

• User Avatar Image
    David E Telltale Staff

Personally, I hope this leads to more major announcements being done via comic book.

• @Rather Dashing said: What's wrong with the Awesome Bar? Depending on what you dislike...

I dunno, it was just annoying when I'm used to (for example) typing in "te" in the address bar, and telltalegames.com appearing in the dropdown.
    The Awesome Bar decided I didn't want Telltale's page appearing top of the list, and put www.madeupexamplebecauseicantactuallyrememberwhatreallycameup.com/test instead.

The Omnibox, I think I'd have to give it a go before I make a decision, but hopefully it'll give me the option to turn it off.

Also, people should name their features with positive adjectives all the time. "Wow, I hate Microsoft Best OS Ever." Every insult sounds like sarcasm. =p

Going into a games development course this year, so I am definitely going to keep this in mind for every project icon14.gif

• @Badwolf said: The Omnibox, I think I'd have to give it a go before I make a decision, but hopefully it'll give me the option to turn it off.

I get the feeling that the Omnibox is kind of a showcase to a lot of Google's search/recommendation technology, so it will be a fairly core element in the browser. But who knows.

• I'm posting this using Chrome! My first impressions are that it is very fast, but I'm not too keen on the general interface at the moment.

www.google.com/chrome

• The UI is kind of ridiculously simple. I can't tell if it's too simple but I haven't got any big issues so far. And yeah it seems to be extremely speedy, which is awesome.

• @Guybrush Threepwood said: I'm posting this using Chrome! My first impressions are that it is very fast, but I'm not too keen on the general interface at the moment.

www.google.com/chrome

i quite like it. the bookmarks tab should be fixed from the start. i spent a while figuring out how to do that.

Add Comment