User Avatar Image

Is Carver actually a BAD guy ?

posted by Kirbinator93PC on - Viewed by 3.3K users

Carver is painted as the antagonist and no doubt I think Telltale will continue with that storyline but I would also love to see them throw in a monkey wrench - give Carver some positive attributes. I know he killed seemingly innocent members of your group but you do have to remember:

• we know very little as to WHY he left the group
  • he is chasing Rebecca who has her kid. That is a pretty powerful force.
  • he seems like he has a commitment to his group/ community which are pretty positive characteristics

In another thread, the question is posed : "Would you kill Carver?"

The obvious answer is "yes" as of right now because he hasn't done anything beneficial yet. I think Telltale is going to at least give Carver some "courageous" act to portray him in a different light. Just food for thought. Like I said I think Carver will be a absolute (insert curse word here) for most of the episode and than in the end maybe reveal something that would paint him in a more positive light.

101 Comments
  • I think he'll end up being more grey than we think; but I don't think he's going to end up being a 'good guy' by any definitions.

• You gotta do what you gotta do in the apocalypse. But still carver reminds me of the governor.

• Hmm... Let's see he chases Rebecca and the group like a creep, nearly kills Carlos and breaks his fingers in front of Sarah, Kills Walter, Kills Alvin(determinant), hits Clem in the stomach and points a gun at her, holds Sarita at a gunpoint, forcefully takes Clem and others to his group, beats Kenny, beats Alvin (deternminant). Yeah that guy is a true charmer.

• Once again, never said he was going to start giving out free hugs while he takes the entire group out for ice cream BUT I think he is getting portrayed very one dimensional as of right now with no "redeeming" qualities. . . i personally think that it will change

• To me, my intention is to kill Carver and Bonnie and anyone else who stands in Clem's way. (of course depending on the episode) Carver has searched for the group, traveled for days in a dangerous world looking for them and had no problem torturing Carlo's and killing Walter. Kidnapped the entire group and forced them into his camp.

I fully intend (again, depending on how the episode is written) to escape with Kenny. That is my priority, the others can come if possible, but they can stay or become walker bait for all I care. If the game makes us choose who to save, Kenny or anyone else, I'll pick Kenny no matter what!

I saw in the preview that Clem and Bonnie seemed to smile at each other like they were becomming friends, but I'm going to play this like Clem is pretending til the right moment and if given the option, wont hesitate to do anything she needs to escape.

It doesnt matter if Carver or Bonnie are really "good or bad" people, they intentionally took steps th abduct Clem and the group against their will. That's enough to concider them a threat. Ben was a good guy, but not too bright and caused several death's, just like Nick. It's not that they were "bad" it's that they were threats.

• Yes Carves is a good guy, he just killed Walter and Alvin (determinant). Nothing bad I guess. (ironic).

• I think it's obvious who the quote unquote 'bad guy' is in this situation - it's definitely Carver. The group hasn't told us the story of how they escaped from him, and obvious shit went down (Alvin seemingly killed someone). As for Rebecca's baby, there's no clear sign if it's Alvin's or if it's Carver's, what sane person would traverse the wilderness stalking and hunting down a pregnant lady who's baby may not even be yours during the zombie apocalypse ? It's also creepy how Carver is just assuming that it's his. Even an anti-hero, doesn't generally mutilate and torture a man while his kid is watching crying. Also, even though they fuss and fight, Rebecca and Alvin seem to love each other, was Carver and Rebecca's relationship even consensual? The problem is no one has explained anything to us because we're a kid, and if we were an adult, we probably would have been able to demand answers by now.

• Carver is completely ruthless, so there is no way I'm considering him anything other than a bad guy. However, judging by episode 2 and by the way Telltale is in general, he will very probably have a few redeeming qualities. The ones I can think of are:

• The baby: as you said, this is an excellent reason to chase the cabin group and one we can all probably relate to, even if, like me, you're not a father. The fact the he cares about his unborn child shows that he hasn't completely lost his humanity and he still yearns for some level of normality.
    • His "ideology": you also mentioned his commitement to the group but I think it's a little more than that. Carver seems to truly believe that his way to run things is the only way. With many people (for instance, The Governor and even Negan), the ZA is just an excuse to fulfill all their cruel fantasies, but I don't think Carver is that kind of guy. I have no doubt the he uses the ZA to justify his more questionable actions, but I also think that he actually believes it himself. This doesn't make what he does any less horrible but at least it doesn't originate from sheer cruelty.
    • I agree pretty well with this. An unfortunate side effect of being intelligent is how it can inflate the ego, when then finds all sorts of ways to rationalize things and reinterpret counter-evidence to deny being wrong and reinforce feeling right or confident. "His way to run things is the only way" is likely very accurate, but strangely also a source of comfort and certainty to those who need someone to follow.

However, you have to admit that his care for his unborn child should make him somewhat of a good guy in that sense, even if he ends up doing awful things to keep the child safe. Just because you're the one defending yourself doesn't mean he's definitely doing wrong.

• You can't say that he thinks it's the only way, because we've heard him say next to nothing on ways to lead. He definitely prefers his way to lead, but we know nothing else.

• I know we don't know him very well, but I'm just saying what I can get from the little we've seen of him. All his speech about "straying from the flock" and "look where Luke has lead you" is, to me, indication that he thinks he's the only person who can keep anyone safe. But, yeah, I could be wrong. Ep3 will probably shed some light on this issue.

• Doubel post.

• Carver calmly and methodically kills, tortures, and enslaves people. He's definitely an extremely bad man and a psychopath. There's no excuse for his behavior. What Carver needs to do is reconcile with the group instead of feud with them. And I hope Clementine will be able to help him in the next episode and teach him to forgive.

• Left the group, likely not by choice.
    • Strong interest in family and keeping them safe.
    • Committed to his group.

Sounds awfully similar to Kenny. Carver is the anti-Kenny.

Add Comment