User Avatar Image

Episodic?

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

Please don't do episodic web releases, because quite frankly, they [edit: are not good*] (no, not that rabbit)! I want to goto my local software store and purchase a copy of Sam & Max! I want a box, I want a manual, and I feely things, damnit!! Double the price, triple the price, I don't care! I do NOT want a bunch of 1's and 0's on my harddrive, I want them on a full-color-labeled CD! Don't tell us you can't, and don't tell us you won't; just make it happen, and you won't regret it!

[*edited by Heather for family friendliness]

69 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm sure that whining is going to change Telltale's mind... Online distribution is the future of digital entertainment. That is the way things are going to be, so it's best to just accept it now and move on. We had punchcards, cartridges, 5 1/4" disks, 3.5" disks, CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, next we'll have HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray, and that'll probably be the last physical media we see. Everything else after that will be online, on demand, and at your fingertips. Just not in them. Telltale is simply getting a head start at this. You don't want to be like those old farts who don't understand technology and can't even program their VCRs, do you? For your own sake, get with the program! You're going to miss out on great stuff if you keep living in the past.

Just give Telltale a chance and I'm sure they'll deliver to you many entertaining adventures so fast and so often, you'll be thanking them that you don't have to make so many trips to the retail stores, saving your room the fate of being converted into a warehouse of full of worn out, scratched CD-ROMs and rotting cardboard boxes crushing each other. :D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Yah. Beggars can't be choosers eh?

Alternatively, you could try and convince Steve Purcell that you can do a better job, and then make it yourself :-)

Seriously tho, I'll take it any way I can get it. So to speak....

..ahem. Is this thing on?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

ThIs sucks!
    I wont buy a game sold in episodes and not localized.
    I'm from germany, and here most adventurgamer has this attitude.

They should make a full price game in a nice Box for collectors and localize it.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Man, so many complaints about this!

Who said it wouldn't be localised?

Perhaps they could release a boxed version every 3 episodes. Who knows. Would you rather have no Sam and Max? Seriously. I mean, your english seems good enough to post in here.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Man, so many complaints about this!

Who said it wouldn't be localised?
    Sure, no one said something about the localisation, but show me a hint about it for Bone!

Perhaps they could release a boxed version every 3 episodes. Yeah, i buy a Movie in Episodes too or wait for the Box^^
    Who knows. Would you rather have no Sam and Max? YES!
    Seriously. I mean, your english seems good enough to post in here. Yes and every Adventurefan in the World speaks english^^ [/quote]

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]
    Sure, no one said something about the localisation, but show me a hint about it for Bone![/quote]

SNM is a much larger license than Bone, purely because it comes complete with a world-wide installed userbase already.

[quote]
    Yeah, i buy a Movie in Episodes too or wait for the Box^^
    [/quote]
    Surely a TV series would be a better analogy for this type of game release method?

[quote]
    Who knows. Would you rather have no Sam and Max? YES![/quote]
    There you go. Don't get it then, and the worldly balance is restored.

[quote]
    Yes and every Adventurefan in the World speaks english^^[/quote]

No. Like I said, this is a larger affair. You said it yourself. German and French, even Croation games are localised into english, because it's just more prevalant. That's called good business.

I mean, I just don't get it. Everyone desparately wants Sam and Max to return, but then you all [*edit: whinge] and moan and whine that it isn't being released in the way that you want?. You want it your way or not at all. Be grateful, or be gone, really. Not happy? Fine then. Don't buy it. Problem solved.

Telltale will do what they believe is right, and if there is a large enough complaint about it, then perhaps they will release a boxed version at the end of it, or even at the beginning. Who knows. But to say you wont get it because of something like this is just childish.

[*edited by Heather -- let's avoid non-kid-friendly words folks.]

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

It´s sad really. But some people always have to [*edit: cry] about stuff it seems. The german attitude thing is right though I´m affraid. I´m from Austria, where we speak german too and even my friends who do speak good english want their stuff dubbed and localized to death really. Since in the german language zone we got dubbed movies from the beginning, most people are so used to it and got too lazy and ignorant to realize that english is now a global language which should be standard for anyone with halfway decent schooling. I personally wouldn´t touch a dubbed or localized version of anything anymore if I have access to the original. Unless its for my dad I get stuff exclusively in english. (Unless it´s made in another language, then I get it original with subtitles if possible of course.)

[*edited by Heather -- let's keep it friendly.]

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]that english is now a global language which should be standard for anyone with halfway decent schooling. [/quote]

ooh, my professor that teaches "english as a global language" would've HATED that statement. :p

Regarding Episodic-format, it means I won't be abel to buy it, since I don't have VISA or any international credit-card. Oh well, it'll be nice reading about it anyway.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I'm sure that whining is going to change Telltale's mind...[/quote]
    I was complaining, not whining. There IS a difference.

[quote]Online distribution is the future of digital entertainment. That is the way things are going to be, so it's best to just accept it now and move on. We had punchcards, cartridges, 5 1/4" disks, 3.5" disks, CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, next we'll have HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray, and that'll probably be the last physical media we see. Everything else after that will be online, on demand, and at your fingertips.[/quote]
    Now THAT sounds familiar...oh yes... I heard it twenty years ago! Oh, and wheres my damn flying car!?

• [quote][quote]
    Sure, no one said something about the localisation, but show me a hint about it for Bone![/quote]

SNM is a much larger license than Bone, purely because it comes complete with a world-wide installed userbase already.
    [/quote]

That's not true at all, actually. Sam & Max is pretty obscure in comparison to Bone, which does have a world-wide installed userbase already.

That said, it would be a huge mistake for Telltale to not offer the game in multiple languages and they know it, and they will be offering localized versions of Bone in the future (they've said so). I hope the localized versions are available immediately next time, because one of the good things about online distribution is that it allows everyone to get the game at the same time regardless of where they live.

Add Comment