User Avatar Image

Serious subjects in video games?

posted by philpou on - last edited - Viewed by 93 users

Hello,

i'm studying sociology and working on a thesis about video games, i would like to know if you think vidéo games can deal with serious subjects. as an exemple, i'm using Global Conflicts : Latin America, which is an adventure game about serious issues in Latin America. I think it's quite good in its genre but 'im not an expert of adventure games. you can try the demo without downloading it on :

http://www.globalconflicts.eu/gcla/demo/

i contacted the company to know if i can use the game for my work and they agreed. they say the game is designed for learning purpose.

please let any comment about it, it can be helpfull for my work.

16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You should ask 4chan's /b/ board

• It wanted me to install some program that I didn't care for the name of. But anyway, if the game is anything like the intro video, then it has a very populist spin. Learning purposes? Yeah, right. (that's just my inner cynic about all politics coming out)

• Absolutely serious subjects can be dealt with in games. But all games, whether educational or simply casual time-wasters, need to have enjoyable gameplay. I think one of the main reasons learning games don't do well is because they're promoted as just that--educational. People will lose interest quickly if they feel they're being preached at.

• I don't know if I'm starting to get a bit paranoid, but I'm sure this is a spambot.

One time poster, linking to an obscure site, and I don't think they've been back since they posted. Well disguised, but unless they want to put me straight on this themselves, I don't think they're for real.

• @Badwolf said: I don't know if I'm starting to get a bit paranoid, but I'm sure this is a spambot.

One time poster, linking to an obscure site, and I don't think they've been back since they posted. Well disguised, but unless they want to put me straight on this themselves, I don't think they're for real.

I'm with him.

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

Well, they posted at Adventure Gamers too. They don't look like a spambot (in looking at their IP address). It could be very clever viral marketing. I think that's the only possible offense. At least it's for an AG and not WOWGOLD. :D

Also, if you look at his user page, he/she has been back since. ;)

• User Avatar Image
    Shauntron Telltale Staff

Video games have contained serious subjects forever, I think it's as good a medium as any to communicate ideas. But the raging debate among people who don't know what they're talking about is whether or not player participation negates the legitimacy of games as a way of communicating ideas (and therefore serious subjects), but that's bogus. Some people breeze past the weighty themes and treat games like a sandbox, and some people can let the narrative take them away and allow the weighty themes to affect them. Anyone who plays games knows this, and everyone knows it's impossible to explain to their mom.

• @Strong Bad Fan said: I'm with him.

I thought this was a given...

• @Mel said: It could be very clever viral marketing.

Advertising is what it seemed like to me when I first read it, but I thought it was an interesting enough topic to comment on. :)

• Video games can deal with serious subjects, definitely. I played a game not too long ago that dealt with... well, I'm not sure if it should be public knowledge. *cough*

Add Comment