User Avatar Image

Would TTG Ever Work With LucasArts?

posted by EternalStar on - last edited - Viewed by 237 users

I remember hearing about a year ago that some artwork for a certain game about a certain primate based landmass had some of its proprietary artwork leaked to the general public. This led me to wonder if Lucasarts was considering reviving an old franchise, with the recent change in architecture of LucasArts design plans which now state that they plan on handing off around 90% of their development to outside sources.

If (this is a BIG IF given LAs track record of game quality as of late) LA decided to revive one of their beloved franchises do you think they'd approach TTG or vice versa, and if so what do you think the guys at TTG would want to do it (no idea how harsh LA is with its design freedom, or how closely they watch out of house development)

Also how would some of the TTG staff feel if LA chose a different team to head up the revival of one of their babies, or worse yet had another team head it up AND massacre the original heart of the game (Maniac Mansion the Fighting Game anyone? Or Day of The Kart Racer)

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Are you referring to the pirate artwork Steve Purcell posted in his blog? That wasn't related to the games at all, but, I believe, an animation project which never got off the ground.

• Ah so thats what that was, I saw the artwork on a gaming blog somewhere but it was so long ago I couldn't remember most of the details.

• @jp-30 said: This is a couple of years old, but you may find it interesting;

http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfile.php?id=2107&category=telltale

I was thinking of that quote. Thanks for finding it.

Since that interview was before any of the Sam and Max episodes came out, it makes me wonder... since Sam & Max has had two successful seasons, has Telltale considered pitching some other revivals to LucasArts?

• I seem to remember reading something, probably on the forums, to the effect of Lucasarts still has the license and the means to go ahead and release Freelance Police despite Telltale running this series parallel.

• Steve owns the rights to Sam & Max the characters, and licenses them to us. LucasArts retains the rights to anything they themselves created, and that includes Hit the Road and Freelance Police in whatever state it was in.

They don't have anything to do with us making Sam & Max episodes, Steve does :)

• @tabacco said: Steve owns the rights to Sam & Max the characters, and licenses them to us. LucasArts retains the rights to anything they themselves created, and that includes Hit the Road and Freelance Police in whatever state it was in.

They don't have anything to do with us making Sam & Max episodes, Steve does :)

It'll probably be like this for the next few years unless someone actually does something about it!

I personally think that Lucasarts would rather spend money on villas in Acapulco and limousines and house parties where people sip Cristal with P.Diddy instead of on adventure games!

• @Bad Asp said: I personally think that Lucasarts would rather spend money on villas in Acapulco and limousines and house parties where people sip Cristal with P.Diddy instead of on adventure games!

Living a life of leisure and luxury? I can't imagine anyone wanting that! Making adventure games is it's own reward. I'm sure if the Telltale team had the chance to be rich and famous, they would give it all up to continue making adventure games (amiright?).

• User Avatar Image
    Shauntron Telltale Staff

@Bad Asp said:
    I personally think that Lucasarts would rather spend money on villas in Acapulco and limousines and house parties where people sip Cristal with P.Diddy instead of on adventure games!

The closest guarded secret of the video game industry is pretty much everyone, Telltale staff included, starts their day with a swim in a pool of gold coins and shimmering sapphires. Now pardon me while I polish my monocle and twirl my huge old-timey mustache.

• It just bothers me that lucasarts hasn't made a good game in years, things just went downhill after Clone Wars. They haven't even tried re-releasing the good ones, like Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island. (and of course, hit the road)

Some times, you wish that star-wars didn't exist.

Add Comment