Menu
User Avatar Image

People finally starting to wake up and accept that working on 4 games at once is hurting TWDSeason2?

posted by Clem_is_awesome on - last edited - Viewed by 23.7K users
"Third time's a charm" -- What i said a couple of days after beating episode 2. I was so happy knowing that we'll go to a camp, the PERFECT place to have tons of hubs and people to talk to. What made me even more hyped about going to the god damned camp? the fact that all the playable 400 days characters were confirmed in the game files. What did i get instead? Probably the most rushed episode in the history of TWD.

Now i'm seeing a lot of threads popping up with a good amount of thumbs up where people are actually agreeing that the episode felt super rushed and had very poor writing for what we expected.

Now let's talk about the biggest problems with this episode.

My biggest issue with this episode is Carver. From episode 1 we're being hyped about this super bad dude "Carver" going around killing LOTS of people we already know from the past(Roman and the scavengers at the river). Episode 2 trailer comes out and there we have Telltale hyping up this character again, played by Michael Madsen and also putting "Who is Carver?" in their Playing Dead vids and all. They even got Anadel to compose an insanely amazing track just named "Carver". On episode 2 we're told in some parts that Carver is a very intelligent man. We get descriptions like "Clementine and her group learn what it’s like to live under the heel of a leader whose intelligence is rivaled only by his propensity for brutal violence." and that leads us to believe that this guy is some genius mastermind with a really dark agenda that we'll get to see in episode 3. The episode comes out and it turns out he really isn't that smart and that the camp really isn't that safe. Then Carver dies and that's it. He had no character development in the episode. Even Bonnie and Troy had more lines and screen time than him. Super disappointed.

Second issue. 400 days characters. We play the 400 days DLC and we end up loving most of the characters. By the end of it we're left with this cliffhanger that we're going to some community. Tons of speculation and hype start building up as we find out Tavia's community might be Carver's community. SO MANY QUESTIONS START COMING UP. "How are we going to interact with the 400 days characters?" , "Was Tavia's community good from the start? did Carver eventually take over after some time?" ,"Becca will be older, how is she going to interact with Clem? "I can't wait to interact with all my favorite characters from 400 days!". All this twitter hype about "YOU NEED TO PLAY 400 DAYS" then the episode comes out and every single 400 days character has either 1 or 2 lines and they're all assholes now. It's very very unlikely that we'll see them again and i don't even wanna see them again to be honest.

Third problem. Some of the writing. There are tons of stuff left unexplained after Carver's death and it's stuff that will probably never be explained. We didn't know what happened to the people who got shot at the river and the ties they had with Carver. We never got to know who was George and why Alvin killed him. Rebecca's complete change of personality. We're being led to believe that the Cabin Group can't really be trusted and that they're hiding something. It turned out the Cabin Group didn't really have any skeletons in the closet and there really is no reason to believe there will be any more trust issues in episode 4 or 5 since most of the cabin group is dead now. Telltale made a big emphasis on this Luke vs Kenny thing that started in episode 2 but as of now there really is no way that anyone will pick Luke over Kenny after how bad Luke screwed up in episode 3. It's all a mess.

It's clear how this huge workload of working on 4 games at once and the constant switch of writers, directors and designers between all games is hurting season 2's quality. The 90 minute per episode formula just doesn't work for this game.

Don't get me wrong, episode 3 was great by itself but i don't like settling down for something like this knowing that Telltale can do better and has done better in the past with season 1. All i can hope now is that Telltale gets a reality check some day and they go back to working only on Season 3.
362 Comments
  • It felt a bit rushed at times
    But honestly I loved this episode
    First of all even though every wanted more than cameos for 400 days characters. I think the purpose of the cameos are to let you know that these people are there, they've made into Carver's camp
    and I think they accomplished what they wanted with Carver they made us despise and fear him so quickly in such a short time that most people didn't complain about killing him, most of us justified brutal murder with survival and eliminating the threat, if you notice Luke wasn't so hyped about finishing Carver off like that, and more than 50% people stayed to watch the death (including myself, because @#!? that guy)

In essence we've become like Carver in a way. In season 1 episode 2 despite what the St. Johns brothers did Clem didn't want to see all that horrible stuff going down but now we have the option to insist upon something ( I honestly wanted to pick up the crowbar and have a few swings myself).

And even though Carver's character needed more development, definitely wish he had more screen time the character got it's message across And since this is TWD it's safe to say that you should assume nothing.

I was just very upset by the sudden death of Reggie and Carlos, characters are just so expendable right now, we don't get the opportunity to care for them, we definitely need more HUBS right now, I expected more from this episode but I'm hoping they've saved up a lot of drama for the next episode anyway.
    • I mentioned in another thread that you can learn much from a character simply by asking them questions. It was a thing that i loved in Season 1. I would have liked to have known what the other group members were thinking about their current situation and how them are feeling.

At the beginning of Episode 3, there was this great opportunity to ask how the characters were feeling. Unfortunately, Sarah didn't want to talk, Sarita was taking care of Rebecca, Kenny was distracting Reggie, Carlos and Alvin was occupied. The few that you get to interact with were Nick and Rebecca.
  • The biggest problem in my opinion is the actual wait time in between episodes. I thought this episode, although rushed, was very satisfying and answered the biggest questions
  • Yes Lets goo we need to speak up there is only 2 Episodes left people with no signs of a 3rd Season so its now or never to get the most out of this Awesome franchise. Telltale go beyond that 90 minute gap it is stupid and worthless use as much time as you want 2,3,4,5 or 6 hours nobody here cares if you cant complete it in one Sitting I rather stop playing and be like ill come back to this later than be like THAT WAS IT.
  • I personally loved this episode but I do agree they should only worry about 2 games (or less) at a time to be able to make episodes faster and of higher quality.
  • yes! i feel like telltale is trying to get the walking dead and wolf amoung us out of the way so they can work on there borderlands game, they better step it up for episode 4
  • yes! i feel like telltale is trying to get the walking dead and wolf amoung us out of the way so they can work on there borderlands game, they better step it up for episode 4 for the walking dead because episode 3 was mediocre.
  • I agree. They should freeze The Walking Dead development for now and take The Walking Dead team and put them on The Wolf Among Us team.
  • 4 games is too much for a relatively small-medium company like Telltale.

People always complain about Activion or Ubisoft making annual titles (CoD and AC), but they have a lot of studios (Ubisoft has the highest number of employees). If the product quality falls even with such big companies, imagine how it must be for TTG!

Well, TWAU and TWD are almost at the end of their seasons, so I guess there's little hope for them. Let's just pray that GoT and Borderlands gets lenght and overall quality like TWD Season 1 or TWAU Ep.1 had
  • You seem to be one of the few that actually accepts season 3 as an inevitability. A lot of people seem to recognize the end of season 2 as the end of The Walking Dead altogether. This post nicely explains why that simply cannot happen. All that's happened to Clementine following Lee's death has so far been like a bad dream. I still love season 2... but every time I remind myself of the first season in my head, it almost brings me to tears to think that this is all Clementine gets. Life has to have more in store for her than this.
    • At this point it is so obvious that there will be a season 3. Season 2 just feels like filler. Nothing much really going for Clementine as a character. Season 1 got us with this long story of protecting Clementine and teaching her how to survive. Every single episode did this theme perfectly and by the end you KNEW that you ACHIEVED something great. Now in season 2 Clementine doesn't seem to have some personal purpose. Seems more like this is Kenny's season and his time to shine.
Add Comment