User Avatar Image

Windows Registry

posted by HomsarGuy on - last edited - Viewed by 746 users

I read on HR wiki that you can get the costumes by using WR so I have 2 questions abut that. 1. How do you do it. 2. Will it work on ep 4?

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Heh. Never thought about that. Piddling around in the registry under CURRENT_USER/software/telltalegames/homestarrunner you get:

    picture.php?albumid=157&pictureid=1053


    Now, I've collected all the items, and they all show a value as 1. I bet that if you were to copy that exactly how it is (I doubt that it would populate as a 0 until you find it, but I could be wrong) I betcha you'd have all the shirts! I know there's some stuff missing there, I'm still digging for them. Ill edit if I find the rest.

  • @poohead900 said: Heh. Never thought about that. Piddling around in the registry under CURRENT_USER/software/telltalegames/homestarrunner you get:

    picture.php?albumid=157&pictureid=1053


    Now, I've collected all the items, and they all show a value as 1. I bet that if you were to copy that exactly how it is (I doubt that it would populate as a 0 until you find it, but I could be wrong) I betcha you'd have all the shirts! I know there's some stuff missing there, I'm still digging for them. Ill edit if I find the rest.


    How do you acess it, anyway?

  • Y'know, it would prob'ly just be easier to get them in game, but it would be pretty cool to do that.

  • @Strongsadioware said: How do you acess it, anyway?

    Win+r (run) regedit.

    Then expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, expand Software, expand Telltalegames, expand homestarrunner. They're in there.

    @Strongsadioware said: Y'know, it would prob'ly just be easier to get them in game, but it would be pretty cool to do that.

    Indeed, just collecting the stuff is MUCH easier.

    Now, what I want to know -- to all you file nazis out there -- Are there registry strings we can add to get the Wii-specific costumes? I've read that there's some blonde wig that's Wii only... If it was included in the PC build, maybe they can be forced unlocked.

    wigZeen?
    hatBlonde?
    machoMullet?

    Someone should look into that.

    edit: Its not one of them three, I checked.

  • @poohead900 said: Win+r (run) regedit.

    Then expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, expand Software, expand Telltalegames, expand homestarrunner. They're in there.

    Indeed, just collecting the stuff is MUCH easier.

    Now, what I want to know -- to all you file nazis out there -- Are there registry strings we can add to get the Wii-specific costumes? I've read that there's some blonde wig that's Wii only... If it was included in the PC build, maybe they can be forced unlocked.

    wigZeen?
    hatBlonde?
    machoMullet?

    Someone should look into that.

    edit: Its not one of them three, I checked.

    Yeah, the hair is exclusive to the Wii. A telltale games worker said you'll automatically get it in episode 5.

  • Yeah, but what's it's filename?

  • This is all assuming it even exists in the PC builds (doubt it). If not, I know that some people (Dangerzone and ReverendTed?) can disassemble the .ttarch files to read dialogue. If possible (doubt it) someone somewhere might be able to find some of that fancy-schmancy uncompiled readable computerbox code to populate the registry, which could (doubt it) be used to force unlock the hidden stuff so that us PC users can use them without Telltale giving them out as freebies.

  • I noticed on mine that they're not all there. For instance, the Carabowdit hair isn't listed. I suppose this means that only the ones that need to be "unlocked" get a reg entry.

    Edit:

    Well, yes. Yes, it is possible to unlock new things this way, if you know the names.
    Guess who has the Stinkoman hair now?

    The .ttarch files are encrypted, and the only person I know of to ever decrypt them was asked politely not to distribute the utility. It's not necessary to decrypt a .ttarch file to get the names, though.

    But I'm sorry, guys...I just don't know if I can share the secret. This really delves into "breaking the game" territory, and I don't want to get in to trouble. Edit: Also, after a little more searching, there aren't many others to unlock this way.

    However, since it's been confirmed that the Rocker Hair was supposed to be unlocked, and will be unlocked by default in the next Episode - the registry key name for the Rocker Hair is "HairBig".

  • @ReverendTed said: I noticed on mine that they're not all there. For instance, the Carabowdit hair isn't listed. I suppose this means that only the ones that need to be "unlocked" get a reg entry.

    Edit:

    Well, yes. Yes, it is possible to unlock new things this way, if you know the names.
    Guess who has the Stinkoman hair now?

    The .ttarch files are encrypted, and the only person I know of to ever decrypt them was asked politely not to distribute the utility. It's not necessary to decrypt a .ttarch file to get the names, though.

    But I'm sorry, guys...I just don't know if I can share the secret. This really delves into "breaking the game" territory, and I don't want to get in to trouble. Edit: Also, after a little more searching, there aren't many others to unlock this way.

    However, since it's been confirmed that the Rocker Hair was supposed to be unlocked, and will be unlocked by default in the next Episode - the registry key name for the Rocker Hair is "HairBig".

    Dude, you totally had to Photoshop that Stinko-wig.

  • @ReverendTed said: However, since it's been confirmed that the Rocker Hair was supposed to be unlocked, and will be unlocked by default in the next Episode - the registry key name for the Rocker Hair is "HairBig".

    picture.php?albumid=157&pictureid=1066

    And this is why we must all bow to the almighty ReverendTed. Kudos to you, my friend.

    edit: You shouldn't share outright "hacks", you're right. But still, some of this stuff you've discovered should come to light! Nothing new, or otherwise accessible in the future, though (like the Stinkoman hair) Just the added hidden regkeys that we all want and need! Either that or give some subtle hints on how to pull out the regkeys. If its ultraedit or notepad I will be ever so pissed. I ain't found a string of coherent un-compiled anything in the .ttarchs using them two.

Add Comment