User Avatar Image

Some questions to Telltale re: DRM

posted by Iron Curtain on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Dear Telltale,

I understand your need to combat piracy with DRM, and I as much as you wish your games would not be pirated at all, but I do actually see some legitimate downsides to DRM. For instance,

1. What if Telltale were to (god forbid) go out of business or become part of a major publishing corporation? How will we be able to access our games since they have DRM?

2. What about installing the game on our own personal computers, which DRM would (theoretically) prohibit?

Just asking something to the so the producers could answer...

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh, dear God in heaven.

*runs for cover*

• do you realise how unintrusive the drm used in telltales games is, and if telltale go bankrupt i'm sure they will still give us the rights to our games, whih you wouldn't need if you have the discs

• Doesn't Telltale's DRM let you use a serial key instead of online verification as well?
    Definitely one of the less intrusive DRM's I've seen.

• I've answered this in greater detail in other threads, but I will say that while we understand many of the issues people have with copy protection, we have seen value in protecting our games. Maybe more importantly, if its a given that our games will have some sort of protection, we try to be real people about it. Telltale's games don't have any practical install limit -- you can play the game at home, on your PC at work when nobody's looking, on your laptop, your media center PC, etc, and nothing in the games will yell at you. To unlock the games all you have to do is login with your forum username and password and it will activate for you. (If that doesn't work, you can look up your serial number and enter it manually. If that doesn't work, against all odds, you can write in to support or submit a hardware-keyed number to the activation system, to give you a manual override code... but these things happen next to never, and are just safeguards in case people run in to trouble.)

Maybe unlike other game companies (I wouldn't know -- I've only worked at this one), Telltale is filled with people who are here because we believe in the products we make -- most of us would probably be playing them instead of making them if we weren't working here already -- so making sure the games stay accessible and in the hands of the customers who support us, even if the company were to somehow go away, is important to us. We keep our back catalog online, and even though we have shifted user account systems, activation systems, and store backends a few times, it's always been a priority to make sure that even the guys who bought Telltale Texas Hold'Em in the first few months of our existence can still access their games.

Fortunately for everyone involved, if tragedy struck and Telltale disappeared (unlikely!), the same people who have made sure to keep that a priority for our customers would still continue to exist as living human beings, walking the Earth. We're not an office of robots who will power off and officially disappear. We'll probably still know each other even! Keeping the games around for the people who have bought them is something very important to everyone :)

• Thank you! I'm sorry if I came off as ungrateful. :(

Edit: I realize how unobtrusive Telltale's DRM is, but I'm glad my back is covered. That's all that matters to me (in addition to playing great Telltale games, that is (and that the company weathers this recession/depression)!). :)

• You didn't. No problem!

• I'm having the strangest feeling of déjà vu...

• Also, it's worth mentioning that you can always get the free collector's DVD along with the season set, which doesn't have any activation whatsoever. The games on the disc only require that you have the disc in the drive.

• @tabacco said: Also, it's worth mentioning that you can always get the free collector's DVD along with the season set, which doesn't have any activation whatsoever. The games on the disc only require that you have the disc in the drive.

Ah, that saves my mind a lot of worry. I'm still worried about Telltale in these tough economic times, though.

• @Jake said:
    Fortunately for everyone involved, if tragedy struck and Telltale disappeared(...) We'll probably still know each other even!

Probably? are some of you planning to run off to a foreign country and have plastic surgery so you'll never re recognized as a TTG employee or soemthing? :rolleyes: ;)

Honestly, TTG's DRM is the least obtrusive I've ever seen. But lets be realistic. If something happens and TTG dissapears, there will be people working on the DRM "problem" and I'm sure the proper channels will have a "fix" available if it's needed...

(No I'm not encouraging anything illegal, just being realistic... this is what happened to most of the other abandonware games... like HtR...)

And there's always Gametap and Steam who use their own DRM that, AFAIK, does not affect TTG at all.

Add Comment