User Avatar Image

Just beat the game

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 878 users

and I got to say, bravo. a lot of funny characters in this one, and a lot of great voice acting, i was glad to see that gran'ma ben and thorn had been replaced. It took me about five hours to beat it, about twice the time it took me for the first, I liked the little inside joke about the length at the beginning. The graphics were awesome to say the least, I love the movement of the background, very cool.

*SPOILER ALERT* If I'm not mistaken, in the latest blog where it said "we put in a little inside joke that true adventure gamers will appreciate..." was it when Fone Bone said "that's the second biggest pot of soup I've ever seen"? Or something along those lines?

Thank you for releasing this game on one of my days off, I love you guys.

P.S. For some reason, I can't seem to find my original download of the first bone game, I hope I didn't somehow overwrite it when I downloaded the Great Cow Race. I had played through it already a few times, so it's not really a big deal, but it's just strange. Any idea why this has happened?

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't know why that would happen, but it's not a big deal. You just download it again and get it re-activated.

• [quote]P.S. For some reason, I can't seem to find my original download of the first bone game, I hope I didn't somehow overwrite it when I downloaded the Great Cow Race. I had played through it already a few times, so it's not really a big deal, but it's just strange. Any idea why this has happened?[/quote]

The first game did not install into the same Telltale Games folder as the Great Cow Race. (On my computer there's an empty folder called Out from Boneville in the Telltale Games folder, but the game itself is in Program Files.) Check and see if it might be there instead.

If not, Udvarnoky's right that you can just download the game again and reactivate it.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

boy, is my face red. Yes it is under program files, thank you.

• No problem! Glad you found it. :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Glad to hear that this one is longer. 5 hours for $13 is a completely respectable length. That's nearly .4 hours per dollar, which is better than the .2 for a 10 hour, $50 console action game.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

It took me slightly over 4hrs to beat, though I can't say for sure how much of that was due to the slightly slow movement speed and lack of a freely movable camera.

I did enjoy the game quite a bit (hence the reason I finished it in one sitting), and you surely can't argue with the price. I'm willing to forgive some of the smaller quirks because of that.

My biggest complaint is that I found the open ending largely unsatisfying. I don't know how many episodes there are going to be before we finally see a conclusion, but chances are that I'll have forgotten alot of the details 6 months down the road. If we're talking two, three, or even four more episodes, this could be a big problem.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Just finished the game. Enjoyed it immensely. Of course there's the niggles which Telltale will iron our over the series I imagaine (and new ones will probably appear... but thats game development for you). Anyway congratulations Telltale on a great adventure!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I just completed the game as well. Very good job Telltale! This is a marked improvement over the last game. I didn't find any character glitches like I found in the last game, the environment was more lush, and the voice acting was much nicer. The music is awesome as always - I really loved the little ditty in the Cow Race Game booth.

Also, it's great that you're including in-jokes in your games. The joke that McGoiter pointed out prompted a replay from me - which is a great thing, since I didn't replay Out From Boneville after I beat it. The joke at the beginning was a great touch too. I knew I was in for something special after I saw it.

This game just seemed a lot more better overall than the last one. The whole time I was playing Out from Boneville, I always got the impression that I was playing a game on a new engine, and never got immersed into the game. This game just "felt" better. There were portions of the game where I was reminded of classic LucasArts games - especially Grim Fandango. Which was a real surprise to me. You can just tell that a lot of blood, sweat, and tears were put into this game - and I appreciate you guys for it.

There are a few issues I have to address. I'm a bit of a knuckle-head when it comes to puzzles. I was trying to figure out how to get the luggage into the cart for the longest time. I'd ask Grandma Ben about it, and she'd just say that I had to work on it. There were a lot of mentions about luggage, so I was looking all over for luggage, but couldn't find it. It took me forever to figure out to use the cart. For puzzles like these, it would be nice if the luggage was outside of the cart, so you could either click the luggage or the cart to start the mini game. My brain is a little single-minded, so that would have saved a lot of frustration on my part.

The other thing that I have to point out has to do with interaction between the Bone cousins. When the game had you do multiple sets of tasks between Bone cousins with only one set of instructions, my single-minded brain got confused. After I was finished with Fone's task, I did not remember at all what Smiley was supposed to do. Something like "All right, time to [insert task here]!" would have gone a long way, and wouldn't have been out of character at all for any of the characters to say in the game.

Those nuances aside, the game was really great. It's great to see a company that takes constructive criticism to heart (and it's even greater to see that you guys have a sense of humour about it!).

• Thanks, everyone, for the great comments. Keep them coming! We want to hear your feedback so we can make even more improvements in the next game.

[quote]My biggest complaint is that I found the open ending largely unsatisfying. I don't know how many episodes there are going to be before we finally see a conclusion, but chances are that I'll have forgotten alot of the details 6 months down the road. If we're talking two, three, or even four more episodes, this could be a big problem.[/quote]

Of course, this is true of the Bone books, too. It would be hard to give a conclusion to the game because the story hasn't reached its conclusion yet. It's also true with TV shows... by the time a new Soprano's season comes out, no one remembers what happened in the last season!

With this episode, we included a few features that should help refresh your memory from the last game. There is the Who's Who accessible from the main menu, as well as this page on the Bone part of our website that recaps the story from the first episode. If you click on the picture of Smiley on that page, you'll see a video recap from the first episode (the same kind of recap that's included on DVDs of TV series so you can get up to speed). There's also a recap of the story in the game manual, which can be downloaded here.

We'll continue to include these kinds of extras in the Bone games to help people remember what came before. Of course, you could always replay the games, too. :D But we understand that not everyone wants to do that, so we'll do what we can to make the transition from one game to the next as seamless as possible.

[quote]The other thing that I have to point out has to do with interaction between the Bone cousins. When the game had you do multiple sets of tasks between Bone cousins with only one set of instructions, my single-minded brain got confused. After I was finished with Fone's task, I did not remember at all what Smiley was supposed to do. Something like "All right, time to [insert task here]!" would have gone a long way, and wouldn't have been out of character at all for any of the characters to say in the game.
    [/quote]

If you click on the cow suit, Smiley does run through what he still needs to find in order to finish it. But I know what you mean... in some game the character has a journal that lists out what has been done and what needs to do next. Do you think something like that would have helped in Cow Race?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]If you click on the cow suit, Smiley does run through what he still needs to find in order to finish it.[/quote]
    I was referring to the puzzle after the cow race. On my second playthrough, I noticed that if you switched between the Bones, they'd tell each other what came next. On my first play through, I just played through the puzzle linearly without switching between the Bone cousins.

[quote]But I know what you mean... in some game the character has a journal that lists out what has been done and what needs to do next. Do you think something like that would have helped in Cow Race?[/quote]
    Yeah, that's a good idea, and it definately would have helped. It's hard to keep track of tasks between the cousins when you have the ability to switch between them as-you-please throughout the game (the ability of which is definately a good thing, don't get me wrong). It would have been great if there was a tasklist type thing that added tasks as the characters discovered new things (they wouldn't have to be specific - just general things that the characters hinted on. Like Fone having to find a present, for instance).

On my second play through, I noticed something else that could add to some confusion. If you ask Jon to bet last, his cutscene won't come up after you switch to Fone. You have to switch to Fone, then back to Phoney, then back to Fone again in order to activate it. It makes it a bit confusing, since Jon isn't there to get him to bet, yet he isn't where he's supposed to be after the bet either.

Add Comment