User Avatar Image

When did you first learn about Wallace & Gromit?

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 448 users

I'll admit I didn't know much about them until Telltale started working on this game, although strangely enough in college I lived in an apartment that had two W&G magnets on the fridge when we moved in. (My roommate was like, "You've never heard of Feathers McGraw?!")

Since the games will be coming out pretty soon, I'm curious, when did you first start watching Wallace & Gromit? Are you an old pro or a newbie?

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In my case, I recall watching the shorts as a kid, but it wasn't until "Curse of the Were-Rabbit" was released that I actually saw them all (including Cracking Contraptions) again in English and became a fan :D. W&G are not really popular here at all, though, if you asked people they would probably recognize Chicken Run but not W&G. You'll probably get a "oh,I've seen somewhere... I think"

• I remember my parents once renting a DVD with their cartoons for us from Netflix, and I thought they were hilarious. Then I forgot about them, and then Curse of the Were-Rabbit came out. The memories proceeded to burst back into my head. It looks like with this game, I'm going to be getting the same feeling as I did when the film came out. ;)

• @LittleBuddy said: W&G are not really popular here at all, though, if you asked people they would probably recognize Chicken Run but not W&G. You'll probably get a "oh,I've seen somewhere... I think"

That last bit pretty much describes me; I've been vaguely aware of Wallace & Gromit for as long as I can remember but I've only actually seen some bits here and there by coincidence. I like what they've put up on YouTube though and Chicken Run was great.

• I've known about them pretty much my whole life and have seen all the adventures - I've still got them on VHS. They're amazing, I've watched them all countless times. I guess that's what you get for being English...?

• I first knew about them when a Curse of the Warerabbit came out.
    I cant remember much but one thing I remember pefectly was
    [quote]beware the "moon"[/quote]

• User Avatar Image
    Shauntron Telltale Staff

A teacher in elementary school (some time between 3rd and 5th grade) had the Wrong Trousers on VHS during a rainy day indoors recess. Best day ever!

• @Harald B said: I've been vaguely aware of Wallace & Gromit for as long as I can remember but I've only actually seen some bits here and there by coincidence. I like what they've put up on YouTube though and Chicken Run was great.

Yeah, same for me. I know my nieces had a copy of Curse of the Were-Rabbit at some point, but didn't actually see it myself.

• I saw Wrong Trousers back in the mid 90's at a friends house.

• I recall seeing previews for the first Australian broadcast of A Close Shave, so that would've been in 1995 or early 1996, I guess. And I was aware of the ones before when they aired as well.

I actually watched the first three shorts in 1996 or 1997. I'm not sure, but I know my parents taped The Wrong Trousers and A Close Shave, and I watched them over and over. In 1997 we had a program called Wallace & Gromit Fun Pack. It had a trivia game, some wallpapers, screen savers, clips and sound bites, a game where you play as Gromit washing windows, and a game where you play as Gromit in the railroad tracks scene at the climax of The Wrong Trousers.

I outfitted the computer with some of the sound bites, so that when a window was maximised the line "We're at maximum speed" played, when there was an error message it was "Daddy didn't create you for this!", when a program was started it was "Right, off we go then", and when starting up it was "Windows are my speciality."

With the train game, Wallace's lines during the scene it's based on were played at the start of every level, so that when I actually watched the scene again recently everything Wallace said sounded like background noise.

I played the window washing game a lot. The thing I remember the most is Wallace saying "the bounce has gone from his bungee" a lot. Probably when I lost.

Basically I breathed Wallace & Gromit for a while. When Curse of the Were Rabbit came out much later, I went to see it and really enjoyed it. I giggled for an embarrassingly long time when Hutch said "The bounce has gone from his bungee" because I was still so familiar with the line.

And that was me rambling in an attempt to cover up the fact that I don't know when I first heard about Wallace & Gromit.

• I vaguely remember watching The Wrong Trouser when I was in Taiwan and it was in Chinese. The thing that made big impression on me was it was claymation, the dog was funny, and the penguin is evil.

When The Curse of Were-Rabbit came out, I rented the rest short films from Netflix and watch all the web-shorts online. Of course, I also rented Chicken Run and Flushed Away, and only one of it is crap.

Add Comment