User Avatar Image

Distribution

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Greetings to the Telltale team. First I would like to say thank-you for taking an interest in my fav genre and I hope all the best to you and your new game. :D

Having said that, I have some questions.

I recently heard on another forum that you have chosen to distribute the game in episodic format online via download purchases. This is where my problem lies. I am someone who likes to have a physical CD/DVD with my purchase. I also like to have a manual etc but those are less important than having a physical disc.

The reason? Well why am I buying your game? Logically there would be no difference between me paying and downloading as opposed to me pirating the game. I am in no way advocating piracy however I do not like the idea of downloading my purchase instead of walking in a store and getting a box cd the old fashioned way.

Is it because you are in fear of getting screwed by a big game publisher? I would just like to know your reasoning because you have already lost me as a customer :( I was looking forward to this game but now I am not so sure. There are probably hundreds more people with the same opinion as me and is it worth loosing that business? I would have bought one but because I do not get anything physical I have changed my mind. Doesn't this bother the dev team? How many others have been alienated by this type of distribution?

I post here only because I care about the future of the adventure game genre. Ever since the selling of sierra and the (practical) death of lucasarts I have awaited a classic point and click style game. It is a shame that you have decided to choose a type of distribution that I am fully against...

52 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]
    The reason? Well why am I buying your game? Logically there would be no difference between me paying and downloading as opposed to me pirating the game. I am in no way advocating piracy however I do not like the idea of downloading my purchase instead of walking in a store and getting a box cd the old fashioned way.[/quote]
    Your "logic" escapes me. What's the difference between buying a copy from the store and going to some guy on the blackmarket who also has physical copies of the games in a box with a printed manual? You get a physical disk either way.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Don't you see where the future of customers getting games are going? look at music... iTunes revolutionised the music industry by showing that there is a market for downloading music online and people WILL pay for it! So movies are the next step, probably this year or next, and games will follow quickly. it's pretty obvious that this is probably the best way to get more of the types of games you want because developers get to make the games their way, not the publishers way...

So whine all you want about them losing you as a customer, but because of the way they are distributing games, for every one customer that doesn't buy the game because their isn't a CD or manual, 5 more will buy it because it because of it's convenience.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I do have a question though. Since this game will be distributed online, will you only accept credit card payment? Unfortunately due to some circumstances I don't have access to a credit card. However, I would be more than happy to pay with cashiers check (I wouldn't even mind paying a bit extra to do that) or something of the sort.

• I know I will be burning my installer file(s) to CD for safe keeping and for precautions against hard-drive failure. Slap the CD in a DVD case, and no doubt some fan (if not Telltale themselves) will produce a nice 300dpi JPG or PDF to print out & slip into the cover. It'll look just fine on your shelf alongside Grim & Curse of Monkey Island.

I dare say the game (as the demo is integrated into the main game, main game unlocked on purchase) will be put on a number of magazine coverdiscs too, saving the download hassle.

As for credit card payments, that can be an issue for some - especially the younger teen market, but hopefully Telltale will work out some other payment methods (paypal etc).

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Well I don't use i-tunes and I don't plan on it. Also, I want to hear TTG's answer not yours. I could care less if this is where you see the industry going or not and I would like to hear their honest response to my questions.

If this is where PC gaming is headed I feel sorry for the gamer's of tomorrow. At least with consoles we still get physical discs.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]If this is where PC gaming is headed I feel sorry for the gamer's of tomorrow. At least with consoles we still get physical discs.[/quote]
    Phantom Gaming Service. :p But seriously, one of Bill Gates' (a necessary evil) vision is on demand everything to remove the need of physical media and I think XBOX Live! will be a step towards that goal. However, such a thing can only happen once broadband has a much larger marketshare.

Of course, since this is a public forum, you are going to get other peoples' opinions. If you wanted this to be completely private between TTG and you then you ought to have emailed them.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I can understand your want for a physical disc, a box to keep it in and a manual you can flip through, but going as far as not buying the game because you don't get that seems a bit extreme to me.

When I heard what they were doing with distribution I thought: Wow, cool These guys are trying something new. I'll probably have an easier time getting hold of the game, it'll probably come cheaper and I know more of my money spent on it go directly back to the people who actually made it.

Of course you're entitled to feel differently about it, but I honestly think Telltale have thought this through more thoroughly than any of us...

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I know in another topic someone pointed out that online distribution was much better for the enviroment. I know that it is nice to have a cd but in the end there really isn't much of a point.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]When I heard what they were doing with distribution I thought: Wow, cool These guys are trying something new. I'll probably have an easier time getting hold of the game, it'll probably come cheaper and I know more of my money spent on it go directly back to the people who actually made it.[/quote]

Totally. I hope they add Paypal support, but apart from that, the service rocks. You're buying a game straight from the developers, so all the money goes to them. Not to the publishers, not to the people who make the boxes, not to the truck drivers, it all goes to Telltale (which they then use to make a Mac version, right? ;) ).

• User Avatar Image
    Heatherlee Telltale Staff

Thank you for bringing up these questions. I will attempt to address them in a fashion that will not get me in trouble with Dan. ;)

Edit: oops. Attempt failed. I guess that's what I get for upping my daily caffeine regimen. :D
    Read this instead.

Add Comment