User Avatar Image

SCUMM vs. Telltale Tool

posted by natlinxz on - last edited - Viewed by 409 users

No, this thread is not what you think it is.

This thread is about a topic that Telltale may have kept secret for years, hidden in a box buried beneath the earth. It is:

CUTSCENES

Honestly, a lot of the team at telltale worked with SCUMM, and SCUMM invented the cutscene, so where are the cutscenes?
Where?

Picture1-3.png

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • metal gear solid stole them

• @natlinxz said: so where are the cutscenes?
    Where?

They're pretty hard to miss, really. I'd hazard a guess that the first two episodes of Sam & Max alone have more cutscenes than half of the SCUMM library.

• Yeah, I'm at a bit of a loss too. Unless you're talking about cutscenes that don't use any imported Maya animation ... ? *is reaching here* :confused:

• @ShaggE said: They're pretty hard to miss, really. I'd hazard a guess that the first two episodes of Sam & Max alone have more cutscenes than half of the SCUMM library.

No, I didn't see any cutscenes. There were plenty of Cinematics, yes, but nothing that tells you what is going on somewhere else, while you are in the middle of playing.

• "A cut scene is a sequence in a video game over which the player has little or no control, often breaking up the gameplay and used to advance the plot, present character development, and provide background information, atmosphere, dialogue and clues. Cut scenes can either be animated or use live action footage."

Cutscenes under this definition are everywhere in TT titles. The reason they don't work the same way as Maniac Mansion cutscenes do is because the plot doesn't call for that sort of thing. The purpose of MM's cutscenes were so that you'd know where the family members were, and if it was safe to enter a room.

• Hey ya know I just realized Half-Life didn't have any cutscenes either.
    What's the deal with that?

• @TrogLlama said: Hey ya know I just realized Half-Life didn't have any cutscenes either.

Yes, that, and Super MArio Bros too! What the hell were Bowser doing..

• Let's ask the man himself!

"I named them "cut-scenes" (it was also the name of the SCUMM command) because they literally cut away from the action. Games before Maniac Mansion had non-interactive scenes that would play between levels or after a big event, but the ones in Maniac Mansion are different. They cut away. get it? cut-scene. Oh, how I can amuse myself."

-Ron Gilbert

• @TrogLlama said: Hey ya know I just realized Half-Life didn't have any cutscenes either.

its because they wanted to immerse you in the game as much as possible, because you are gordan freeman

• @patters said: its because they wanted to immerse you in the game as much as possible, because you are gordan freeman

(I was kidding.)
    (Ssshhhh.... don't tell anyone.)

Add Comment