User Avatar Image

Why only four episodes?

posted by daro2096 on - last edited - Viewed by 289 users

Seasons are getting shorter at Telltale. First season of Sam and Max was 6 episodes long. Second season of Sam and max and Strong Bad was only 5 episodes long. Now Wallace and Gromit is only four episodes long.

Credit crunch hitting Telltale?

Or are you running out of ideas?

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The episodes are just going to be longer, don't panic.

• I think in the past they also found from feedback that people would appreciate longer episodes, instead of more episodes. Can anyone back me up on this one?

• I don't know. Honestly, from the last two games I felt like five was a great number. Four feels like I get too few months of games. I do hope we don't get a three-episode Sam and Max season!

How far does someone go before they're not making an "episodic" game anymore, anyway? I mean, Sam and Max was often advertised as a video game sitcom. I liked how each episode has its own identity....two to four longer games doesn't really satisfy a need for diversity.

• I commented on this a few weeks ago here.

Episodic games are our business. That's not going to change. :D

• But Emily the games you been putting out lately are really three acts episodes. That is a game has three main puzzles usually with three mini puzzles attached to each main puzzle.

For example Strong Bad episode 1 had three main puzzles and that is 15 puzzles for the whole season.

Are you telling us Emily that Wallace and Gromit episodes will have 4 acts instead of 3?

I mean we are paying for 4 episodes what would cost us 5 episodes for Strong Bad and Sam and Max. The W&G games are longer I assume?

• User Avatar Image
    NickTTG Telltale Staff

i know this has been said all over the site, but these games are taking people longer to complete than some of our other games.

lets just wait to play the full game before we start griping about the episode number and length, mmk? :)

• What i've been told, and unfortunately i can't find the link, but it seems that W and G was only 4 movies in 20 years, thus the four episodes. Also, remember, this game will probably have just one season. Also keep in mind, the bone games are a 2 episode season :P

• @MussKatt said: What i've been told, and unfortunately i can't find the link, but it seems that W and G was only 4 movies in 20 years, thus the four episodes. Also, remember, this game will probably have just one season. Also keep in mind, the bone games are a 2 episode season :P

But the difference between the two is the four movies is clay amination which takes a long time to film whereas the Telltale games are computer generated graphics that look like clay and only take a few months to make.

I personal think Telltale just couldn't think up more than four episodes.

• @Freelance Poster said: More doesn't always = better.

And? Less doesn't always equal better by that same token. How is this a worthwhile point?

More always equals more variety in central episode ideas. There are drawbacks to this as well, but they are degrees of the general drawbacks of episodic gaming as a concept. Yes you can mitigate the faults of episodic gaming as a whole by lessening the number of episodes, but benefits are lost at the same time.

The balance struck is a subjective thing, and with the small numbers we're dealing with(4-6), "just one" episode can make a very large difference, especially since one was dropped off last season.

We now have to consider the benefits and loss of the whole thing. It can't all be determined now, as we haven't picked up that final product. But we can still say:

-Less variety in main story ideas
    -Less episode-specific content
    -Less months of getting a game in your account for the season pass.

These can be considered either rather large, or rather inconsequential against the benefit of longer episodes and a cheaper season(though seeing that the "normal" price of the season is going to be $35 is pretty baffling to me...is it to mitigate the loss to pre-orders when you hand out episodes?). There's also the benefit that we can get to the next franchise(Sam and Max?!) sooner, but that's a somewhat indirect benefit of the detriment "We have less months with Wallace and Gromit".

It just seems like too much value was lost for what is gained, but since the majority of gains will be found by actually PLAYING the game, I might have to hold back a final judgment of the decision.

I don't think Telltale plans to get rid of episodic gaming, the whole company seems to be built specifically for the task of monthly games. But I can say that the benefits of Telltale's episodic games can be weakened a bit if we drop down to, say, a three-episode season with Sam and Max.

Add Comment