User Avatar Image

W&G - Multiple saves

posted by Pirateguybrush on - last edited - Viewed by 188 users

See title. Are they possible without shuffling files around manually? I always like to keep a couple so I can quickly go back and try other dialogue options and such, and I can't see how to do that in W&G.

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yes. On the save/load screen, select Bookmarks - these work like traditional saved games and you get three (or four?) of them.

  • You can indeed set four of these "bookmarks", but I wonder why the number is that limited. - If you want to save often to replay certain scenes individually later, you quickly run out of empty bookmarks. And an additional picture (screenshot) for the bookmark would be worth a thousand words...

    I also wonder why it it is that complicated to save a game in W&G: Press ESC, then click "Your Game -> Bookmarks -> Bookmark X -> Save -> Yes (confirm overwrite) -> Cancel -> Resume." - That's 8 steps overall.

    As a comparison: For Sam & Max the same action takes you 4 clicks only: "Open Menu -> Load/Save -> Save -> Close Menu"; and you do not even need the keyboard to get this done.

  • Wow, how did I miss that?

    Thanks though. :)

  • if the opinion is that the saves are dificult to handle think of it from a videogame aspect, some file management on consoles are difficult, the will be released on the 360 soon.

  • @jared25 said: if the opinion is that the saves are dificult to handle think of it from a videogame aspect, some file management on consoles are difficult, the will be released on the 360 soon.


    As a customer I frankly do not care about the attempt to minimize the effort of converting the game to different platforms, but I want to see the best possible adaptation for the platform I buy the game for. - I really love the implementation of the user interface in Sam & Max (that was by the way also converted to a video console), where you need nothing else but to move the mouse and press the left mouse button for any action, so I consider Wallace & Gromit to be a step back in several aspects. - I know that others think differently and maybe I am just getting too old for this kind of "innovation", but if Telltale moves forward in this direction for future games, I will at least think twice before buying anything else from them.

  • The original intent was to make the auto save so transparent that people wouldn't have to interrupt their play time to save the game all the time (think of how it works in CSI, where you never have to save your game at all), but we still wanted to include traditional saves for people who preferred that. We're aware that the execution is a little clunky. ;)

  • @Emily said: The original intent was to make the auto save so transparent that people wouldn't have to interrupt their play time to save the game all the time (think of how it works in CSI, where you never have to save your game at all), but we still wanted to include traditional saves for people who preferred that. We're aware that the execution is a little clunky. ;)


    The auto save idea is great, but I would like to suggest a little improvement (for future games): Why not have different auto saves, one that tracks the actual game (as implemented for W&G already), and one that saves the game at the beginning of each new act and does not get overwritten (similar to the bookmarks)? - Thereby you always have the latest status available (if you have to interrupt the session or the game crashes) and you could also replay your favorite act without having to start from the very beginning. - There are games from other companies where this concept is implemented already.

    By the way, CSI is the only Telltale game I so not know, so I cannot comment on that.

  • @Nightsurfer said: ...one that saves the game at the beginning of each new act and does not get overwritten (similar to the bookmarks)? - Thereby you always have the latest status available (if you have to interrupt the session or the game crashes) and you could also replay your favorite act without having to start from the very beginning...


    I think this would be great, but maybe when we get to the start of an act we unlock that act to be skipped to at any time in a 'scene select' thingy.

Add Comment