User Avatar Image

New Theory/Rumor

posted by Shanksworthy on - last edited - Viewed by 394 users

Apologies for cross-posting -- I mentioned this in another forum section, but I think it should be here as well; I have a theory that Ron Gilbert is going to make a Monkey Island 5, and it's going to "fix" the trajectory of the story arc to include his vision of how the story was supposed to (but ultimately didn't) continue after M.I. 2. Or maybe it will tell the "secret" of MI (if there even is one). Or both.

We already have the following info...:

- Ron Gilbert has previously stated that if he had a chance, he'd have done a sequel that "rights all the wrongs" with the story arc.
- Mr. Gilbert was consulted before making Tales, i.e. he participated in brainstorming sessions.
- It has been stated in this very forum by members of the Tales dev team, that the SECRET of Monkey Island is "for Ron Gilbert to tell". Or something to that effect.
- Tales will skip directly to being considered "Part 6". Monkey Island 5 will presumably be an "imaginary" prequel to Tales.

My theory is that this "imaginary prequel" thing is a convenient device to allow Ron and LucasArts to shoehorn their 40-hour sweeping tale in between part 4 and "Tales".

As somebody pointed out, even if he is clever enough to "revise" MI history, he still can't undo the marriage between Guybrush and Elaine. That will be a compromise he'll have to make.

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well I hope that the game does get made, be it just speculation now, I do hope that it gets into the works.
    Hopefully if Tales sells well, and the SE of Secret, then Lucas will see there is revenue in continuing with an epic adventure of lengthy proportions.
    There definitely is a Secret of Monkey Island, and the famed treasure Big Whoop, and I hope, nay, pray for all Monkey fans that we can see it revealed to us in a fantastic adventure.

• No, man, I don't think you're right, and I hope you're not.
    Ron Gilbert's Monkey3 MUST start after MI2 and totally ignore CMI and EMI.
    Like they never existed. He never spoke about a wish to make a Monkey 5.
    In fact, the great opportunity would be right that: making a "real" sequel to MI2.

• @Guybrush_Threepwood said: No, man, I don't think you're right, and I hope you're not.
    Ron Gilbert's Monkey3 MUST start after MI2 and totally ignore CMI and EMI.
    Like they never existed. He never spoke about a wish to make a Monkey 5.
    In fact, the great opportunity would be right that: making a "real" sequel to MI2.

He has spoken about a wish to make a sequil to MI2 though, and I think I saw somewhere where he said (or maybe joked) that he would have liked to do like a "revisionist history" version of part 3.

But in any case, I think that there are ways to make an "alternate" history that would make you happy as well. He could erase MI 3 and 4 in one shot by just making Guybrush "wake up from a bad dream" at the beginning of part 5! :-). Yeah I know it's a cheap plot device, and I'm partially kidding... but maybe he could do something clever.

In any case, I don't think that they would consult with Ron and then make TMI to take place after an "imaginary part 5", if they weren't planning on doing an *actual* part 5 with Ron involved. And I don't think that Ron would be involved if he wasn't making the story according to his original vision (with a few necessary compromises).

• @Shanksworthy said: He has spoken about a wish to make a sequil to MI2 though, and I think I saw somewhere where he said (or maybe joked) that he would have liked to do like a "revisionist history" version of part 3.

But in any case, I think that there are ways to make an "alternate" history that would make you happy as well. He could erase MI 3 and 4 in one shot by just making Guybrush "wake up from a bad dream" at the beginning of part 5! :-). Yeah I know it's a cheap plot device, and I'm partially kidding... but maybe he could do something clever.

In any case, I don't think that they would consult with Ron and then make TMI to take place after an "imaginary part 5", if they weren't planning on doing an *actual* part 5 with Ron involved. And I don't think that Ron would be involved if he wasn't making the story according to his original vision (with a few necessary compromises).

I see your point :)
    Actually, I think the "imaginary sequel to a fifth chapter" part is due to protect themselves. I mean, just like saying: "This is an experiment, a wonderful experiment, we don't dare to make Monkey Island 5 as we're not/we don't feel ready right now. Enjoy TOMI as well, we'll make the best we can.".
    I really think that the only other MI game that could be brought by Ron is just Monkey Island 3: MY VERSION.
    While I think, however, that MI5 is a possible thing, probably developed by LucasArts or Telltale in the future.

• I hope Telltale just leave the gap open to imagination and don't rely on too much plot from the time-gap.

The Red Dwarf specials tried to pull an actual "imaginary sequel" (where the cast repeatedly reffered to events that had supposedly happened in a fictional unaired series that never actually existed) and it just wound up being annoying and frustrating.

• People are getting far too hung up on the idea of "canon" for these games. Lighten up, what we have here is a video game series that's meant to be funny and have each game tell an enjoyable story, a series which doesn't in the least take itself seriously. The canon between the first two games and second two is pointless, all four games tell decent stories in their own right and don't need to be put together. Plotholes and continuity breaks are part and parcel of most franchises that are jovial and there to give a good laugh for a few hours of the day.

Someone mentioned Red Dwarf: a perfect example where canon matters not at all; there's a vague storyline that holds everything together, its ridiculously full of plotholes (most of them intentional), but it doesn't matter. Each episode should really be treated as its own thing. Canon in it is ultimately inconsequential.

In any case, Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island are here to stay (and have been for ten years). I highly doubt that if Gilbert is ever intricately involved in another Monkey Island game that he will say "screw these works by my former collegues and friends, I'm making my own Monkey Island 3!" He might have if they were considered absolutely atrocious, but they're not, they're decent Monkey Island games in their own right.

Just sit back and enjoy what we've got. Who cares that it might not tie itself up together as neatly as the works of Tolkien? It doesn't matter.

• @S@bre said: "screw these works by my former collegues and friends, I'm making my own Monkey Island 3!"

I'm not agreeing with you on this.
    Ron often said that, if he had the rights, he would make his own Monkey 3: not to be disrespectful with collegues and friends, but just to tell the end of a story which was once thought (by him) as a trilogy.
    I don't see anything bad in it, and I'm sure his friends and collegues would like to know how things should have gone too.
    That's why he called this hypothetical game "Monkey Island 3a".
    It's not like "screw those games", it's more of a "ok, here's how I thought the story would end, I'm not telling it's better, it's just how the maker of the series wanted things to go on."

• I'd still imagine that if done now, realistically, such story elements would be grafted around the existing games, rather than resetting to a previous point, regardless of whatever continuity errors that it might create with the non-Gilbert games.

• Saying that we skipped Monkey 5 is more of a joke than anything, don't read too much into it...

@Shanksworthy said:
    My theory is that this "imaginary prequel" thing is a convenient device to allow Ron and LucasArts to shoehorn their 40-hour sweeping tale in between part 4 and "Tales".

... Oops, you just did, right there. That was you reading too much into it :) I'd be up for seeing another Monkey game led by Ron Gilbert, but claiming there is an invisible Monkey 5 wasn't at all part of a grand plan. It's just us joking around, an easy way to explain to people that some time has passed between Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island.

Unless it was.

Add Comment