User Avatar Image

Physiological response to news of new MI project

posted by Shanksworthy on - last edited - Viewed by 304 users

Just for fun, I was wondering how other long-time MI fans physically/mentally reacted to the news.

When I first logged into my email and saw the Telltale newsletter entitled "Telltale Making New Monkey Island Games", the first thing that happened is the blood drained out of my face. I'm not kidding; my ears went numb for a sec, and the pit of my stomach did that 'excited' acidic thing.

My mouth fell open and both hands were on my face, and I did a looong blink like I was trying to clear something out of my eyes. Then as it started to sink in, under my breath I started going "oh my god oh my god oh my god", like a freaking little girl. ***Edit: BTW did I mention that I'm in my mid-30's? Yep, pretty pathetic, I know. *** Then I immediately began to think for a sec that maybe I was dreaming or delusional, or maybe I was actually dead, or something really bad was about to happen to me and this was my "concession".

Instead of taking the time to savour this, I started quickly "skimming" all of the information trying to soak up as much as possible, and missed a lot of info on the first pass. I almost peed myself from excitement. I clicked on the "pre-order" link in the email before I had even finished reading it!

I think this is how one would react at having just won the lottery. News of a new MI game and a re-make of SOMI are, for me apparently, almost as good as winning the lottery. Even days later, I'm still wondering if I dreamt the whole thing. Anyone else?

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Somebody at another forum I go to posted a link that just read "www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland". I stared at it openmouthed (I don't think I've ever done a literal jawdrop before) for ten seconds or so, clicked the link, and started grinning like an idiot for a long, long while. I'm lucky nobody at work needed to talk to me that afternoon.

• I just kept saying Monkey Island in everything I said. I couldn't think of anything else, and who can blame me, there's nothing better!
    I suppose I was in shock for a few moment aswell, something I've been waiting for for what seems forever, finally arives, and it ended up beign a double whammy, what with the SE of Secret coming too!

• I can't explain it... I was just all over-excited, caged in a state of euphoria!
    Sorry I can't tell you more, I don't remember, I wasn't recording informations 'cause my brain was all concentrated to Monkey Island.

• Literal jaw dropping and running around like an excited 5 year old for me. :D

• @RobD said: Literal jaw dropping and running around like an excited 5 year old for me. :D

This. I went crazy with excitement. I tried to read information about the game, but I was just so excited that I wasn't properly taking anything in. I think I filled out the pre-order details faster than I've ever done before.

• @Guybrush Threepwood said: This. I went crazy with excitement. I tried to read information about the game, but I was just so excited that I wasn't properly taking anything in. I think I filled out the pre-order details faster than I've ever done before.

Same here. Not the literal running around part -- I was at work -- but I think my feet went a little crazy under my desk. And like you, that was the fasted I'd ever filled out pre-order details for anything.

• My response was, as I stated in another thread, spazzing out in a manner similar to Kermit The Frog. Then rushing to preorder the game. Then finding to my dismay that Paypal had been disabled. A few days later, though, and Paypal was back up, so I resumed my epic preorder-ness.

• Read it somewhere (Don't remember)

Little hesitation till I saw Dave was in the project.... (You can never be so sure about LucasArts bad arts)

Then rushed to the trailer. I fainted while listening to the main theme and when I woke up I had already preordered...

Seems like some kind of conditioning if you ask me.

It didn't really caught me off guard because due to the rumors of "something monkey islandish" in the E3, that where there because of the remake of MK1 actually, I spent most of the last week making theories about what was coming...

The fact that every single one of the possible scenarios we were talking about was lot worse than the truth makes me smile now... (Well, a return of Ron, Tim and Dave was considered, but didn't pass the reality check).

• I woke up with a terrible headache... got up and sat in front of my PC. As usual i checked mixnmojo.com.... ''What is this, a remake of MI one?'' ''Whats this, Telltale continues the adventure?''....... ''OMFG, Monkey Island Monkey Island MOnkey isnald!!!!!!11!!!!''
    In I strange way, I was reminded of the last nine years, of how much i had grown since the last game, of how much my life had changed... and then I thought ''Yhea, I think i'm ready for another one!''

• I remember trying to open Telltale.com, but it said they were reworking the site. No biggie, I though, they do that quite a lot.
    As I were just about to close the window, I saw that you could still proceed to the blog.

I think I stared for a while, thinking it was some weird joke, or even a dream. I was quite tired at the moment.
    Then, as I realized what was happening, a giant smirk appeared on my face. I checked the mirror, knowing that I would surely look like some staring and smiling homicidal maniac.
    It took a few minutes before my face began to relax.

And then I stayed inside, proceded to read everything there was to know about the game, and other peoples reactions.

All this caused my to miss this weeks laundry. So thanks to you Telltale, I smell!

Add Comment