User Avatar Image

Special Edition looks way better

posted by 99X on - last edited - Viewed by 706 users

Now I get that it's 2 different styles 2.5D and 3D - but the special edition that's coming from lucasarts looks so much better then the flat color 3D look of the new episodes.

Why do game companies think 3D makes the games better? I would much rather play this type of game in 2D - with the awesome painted backgrounds. It's like playing a cartoon. I hope that the special edition sells through the roof so that more developers will use that design style and make more adventure games.

to telltale: if you're going to do a 3D version of adventure games, at least spend a lot of time making the backgrounds really detailed. I like the storyboard/concept art better then real thing.

85 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • One of the main reason companies go down the 3D route is time and cost. It's much quicker basically and gone are the days of having budgets like the early Lucasarts games.

TTG, correct me if Im wrong.

• Actually, it's not so much that it's better, it's just that making the sprites for each action can be a tedious and expensive job. It's simply cheaper to develop the game in 3D, especially for a not-so-big company like Telltale Games. Sure, it's a big company now, but not big in its budget and / or employment size in comparison to companies like Capcom and other.

EDIT: Arrr, ya beat me to it, lad!

• it's sad though. money shouldn't be an issue.

• Support This game Through the roof! do the Same with special Edition!

And Lucas Arts/talltales will give us a new 2D Monkey island game!

• @threepcross said: it's sad though. money shouldn't be an issue.

Haha, they are a business.. they've chosen to make games in a genre which is not even slightly as profitable as it was when the original games come out.

You dont except them to make the game at a loss, just out of love?

Would you work for free making it?

• I'm not saying they should go with a loss. did you even read what I wrote? I said it's sad that money is an issue.

also - yes I would work for free.

• @99X said: Now I get that it's 2 different styles 2.5D and 3D - but the special edition that's coming from lucasarts looks so much better then the flat color 3D look of the new episodes.

Why do game companies think 3D makes the games better? I would much rather play this type of game in 2D - with the awesome painted backgrounds. It's like playing a cartoon. I hope that the special edition sells through the roof so that more developers will use that design style and make more adventure games.

to telltale: if you're going to do a 3D version of adventure games, at least spend a lot of time making the backgrounds really detailed. I like the storyboard/concept art better then real thing.

Actually now that I have seen the first gameplay videos on gamespot I must say the 3d version looks way better and the additional dynamic added by the 3d engine (it scrolls and zooms like in a real movie) really adds to it!
    If you want to spoil yourself then check out the videos!
    I am not sure what it is about the 2d version, maybe the crude animation but it feels somewhat cheapish!

• @threepcross said: I'm not saying they should go with a loss. did you even read what I wrote? I said it's sad that money is an issue.

also - yes I would work for free.

Yes I did read it, sorry if I came accross as malevolent. I guess its sad then that money is an issue for society.

Also, thought you might say that. You'd work full-time for no salary to make a game that you couldn't even really play becasue you already knew all the puzzles and dialog?

• The Special Edition characters look fine in stills, but the animation seems wooden. TOMI looks much more natural in motion.

Not to say I'm not drooling over the SE for the gorgeous backgrounds and full voice, of course.

Add Comment