User Avatar Image

how old are you?

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 5.2K users

I'm curious to know how old everyone here was when you started playing adventure games. (And, how old are you now?) I have a hunch that many of the people who post here started with LucasArts games, but I'm curious to find out if that's really true.

Me, I started at around age 10 (I'm now 28). The first game I played was Leisure Suit Larry 1. :)) After that I moved on to King's Quest games. I never even heard of LucasArts until years later (2001 or so) when I started posting on forums. Not sure how I missed those games, because I used to go into software stores all the time to buy Sierra games, but it could be that I was so focused on Sierra that I never looked at what else was on the shelf. [:">]

How about you?

430 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, I guess I started at the age of nine playing kings quest and such sierra adventures. At least tried it. Then, when I got older, about 12, I played Monkey Island and I fell in love <3

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Well, let's see...
    I've started playing adventure games 16 years ago, when I was 13. My first adventure game was Manhunter : New York, an incredibly innovative adventure game from Evryware/Sierra. I remember I would play that with a friend of mine on his PC CGA (4 colors!) 8Mhz, 512Kb RAM, 3,5" drive, NO hard disk and NO mouse (the game didn't support that!!!!!)... okay, now I FEEL old....
    We used to chit-chat waiting for animations and locations to load...
    My first Lucasarts adventure was Maniac Mansion on the Amiga (great sound & great music, I'll never forget that).

Diduz (Italy)

• [quote]Well, let's see...
    I've started playing adventure games 16 years ago, when I was 13. My first adventure game was Manhunter : New York, an incredibly innovative adventure game from Evryware/Sierra. [/quote]

I remember that game. :D Never got too far in it. It had some very strange moments... (Isn't there a part where you have to flush yourself down a toilet?)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Not sure exactly. My clearest early adventure game memories are of Hero's Quest, so probably 3 or 4, although I think there may have been earlier ones. I'm now 19.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

well I was playing the police quests original maniac mansion zak mccracken kings quest etc with my older brother when i was 9 or 10... but it was maniac mansion 2 and sam and max hit the road which i just absolutely loved..got them when they came out I was 13.. and still look very fondly back on those games... I'm 26 now..

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I started playing Monkey Island when I was ten years old. Of course, since I live in Norway, I didn't know any English at all :D
    That didn't stop me from enjoying the game though.. even though I never made it past the first part. I played it again about two years later (thanks to using computers a lot, I knew English by then) and finished it.. I was amazed to find out that there were four parts.. I'd always thought the entire game took place on Melee Island hehe :D

• Hmm... I think my first adventure (that I remember, anyway) was Sierra's adaptation of Disney's The Black Cauldron. I have no idea how old I was, but the game came out in the mid 80s, so I must have been five or so.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/black-cauldron

• Well I'm 15 so... I guess I played Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego and Escape from Horrorland back when I was 7 or so. Hardly the best games I know :) .

I started to seriously play games when I was 12 or so. Escape from Monkey Island was the first one. Then I hunted down original copies of all the Monkey Island games. Then I started to find out about all of Lucasarts other adventure games. Then Sierra. Then I started buying just about every adventure game I could get my grubby little hands on. I started off my games obsession with an Adventure game and I'm still hooked on 'em.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote][quote]Well, let's see...
    I've started playing adventure games 16 years ago, when I was 13. My first adventure game was Manhunter : New York, an incredibly innovative adventure game from Evryware/Sierra. [/quote]

I remember that game. :D Never got too far in it. It had some very strange moments... (Isn't there a part where you have to flush yourself down a toilet?)[/quote]

It was ABSOLUTELY zany, Emily. It got a very original and twisted horror-creepy--splatter-whacky-hilarious sense of humor. Unfortunately it was extremely hard too. BTW, yes, you actually HAD to flush yourself down a toilet. :D
    Diduz (Italy)

• Let's see... my first adventure game was Day of the Tentacle, and I instantly fell in love with it. I don't know exactly how old I was, but I think I must have been 14 or 15. I'm 24 today.

Add Comment