Menu
User Avatar Image

Hoping for minimal continuity...

posted by GallifreyanBuccaneer on - last edited - Viewed by 754 users

Because then I can go on pretending that Escape from Monkey Island either never happened or that it happened and just had a way cooler and far more sensible ending than the one we saw. I'm talking about the HT thing mostly, of course..

But then I'm sure I'm not alone in this. The casting of Alex Boyd as Elaine is a good sign!

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni

    Tales of Monkey Island doesn't throw any continuity out the window, but we've picked and chosen the elements of the old Monkey games which actually make it into the story. I have some thoughts about Monkey 4 and why it's important to the Monkey series and character arcs as a whole, but I should probably save them until after our games are done.

  • The game happened , get over it or get help !

  • ...sorry, I'll need psychological evaluation to help me through life if I take issue with media with a disregard for it's own continuity? I'd recommend not looking too hard at the internet - your hair will turn gray.

    I liked EMI for the most part actually. It was just it fell apart massively at the end, like it got rushed out for release, and had some very stupid last minute twists. That's why I said minimal continuity. As in, I don't want Elaine's 'daddy' popping up constantly or even getting too many mentions. (Okay, I admit it, my dream scenario would be a certain character saying that he was just playing an overly-elaborate practical joke at Guybrush's expense...)

    In fact, like others, I'd probably have no real issues with EMI if it wasn't meant to be part of a series..

  • They could do it Ward/Whedon-style: two writers. One to kill off the main character and the other to bring him back. 200 years in the future, when the previous events don't mean jack to him anymore. Nor you. Cloned. From a drop of his blood. From there on they could kick-start an all new planned for series loosely based on previous characters!

    They could have LeChuck drooling goo and eventually let him giving birth to an army of newborn zombies and everything! Near the end, there'd be a really suggestive scene involving Guybrush8 and what seems like a giant womb made of monkeys. Eventually Guybrush, Elaine and a firefly from the always-night-time woods of Melee manage to escape via a life boat going by the name of Armato. Fade out, credits start rolling, Ron Gilbert sueing Telltale for not appearing in there. Surviving cast to possibly make it into the next sequel, but that depends.

    Hey, one chapter already goes by the title of "The Trial And Execution Of Guybrush Threepwood"... :eek:

  • Ignoring one game (or it's ending) completely would just create more continuity errors.

  • But what if that one game, in this case Monkey Island 4, completely screws up continuity just by existing? Ignoring Monkey Island 4 makes the story make sense again and not turned into a complete joke, I mean, do you really want the Secret of Monkey Island to be a giant Mortal kombat rip off Monkey Robot?

  • @Ash735 said: But what if that one game, in this case Monkey Island 4, completely screws up continuity just by existing? Ignoring Monkey Island 4 makes the story make sense again and not turned into a complete joke, I mean, do you really want the Secret of Monkey Island to be a giant Mortal kombat rip off Monkey Robot?

    There are themes to which new adventure doesn't have to return. I have no specific wish to see monkey robot or Ozzie again, but ignoring the game completely would just create more problems. You can't just reset the storyline and start where CMI ended. Because time has passed there's no need to develope those storylines any further, but I wouldn't be sorry if some characters from EMI, like Pegnose Pete, would appear also in Tales.

  • @GallifreyanBuccaneer said: Because then I can go on pretending that Escape from Monkey Island either never happened or that it happened and just had a way cooler and far more sensible ending than the one we saw....

    What was wrong with its ending? My only problem with it was the loss of the giant monkey head. And, tbh, I think I can live with that. It wasn't even in the third game. @GallifreyanBuccaneer said: do you really want the Secret of Monkey Island to be a giant Mortal kombat rip off Monkey Robot? It wasn't 'The' Secret of MI. It was 'A' Secret of MI.
    Also, I prefer to see 'Monkey Kombat' as a parody of as, apart from the insignia between the health bars of the final battle, the combat was in no way similar to Mortal Kombat.

  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni

    @Marduk said: What was wrong with its ending? My only problem with it was the loss of the giant monkey head. And, tbh, I think I can live with that. It wasn't even in the third game.

    Yes it was. It had a giant roller coaster coming out of its mouth.

  • @GallifreyanBuccaneer said: ...sorry, I'll need psychological evaluation to help me through life if I take issue with media with a disregard for it's own continuity? I'd recommend not looking too hard at the internet - your hair will turn gray.

    I liked EMI for the most part actually. It was just it fell apart massively at the end, like it got rushed out for release, and had some very stupid last minute twists. That's why I said minimal continuity. As in, I don't want Elaine's 'daddy' popping up constantly or even getting too many mentions. (Okay, I admit it, my dream scenario would be a certain character saying that he was just playing an overly-elaborate practical joke at Guybrush's expense...)

    In fact, like others, I'd probably have no real issues with EMI if it wasn't meant to be part of a series..

    I don't do this often, but I think I am going to agree with you. Yes, seeing Herman turn up non stop would be painful , and regarding monkey island as a giant monkey head transformer would be shit . There's not alot of detail in the 4 games anyways . MI3 respects the continuity of the first 2 games, its the 4th one that makes all those horrible twists as you've noted. They should ignore the 4th game , the most.

    I wouldn't mind hearing small details reoccur from all the games, but you're right about game 4. At the same time however I am a cannon fanboy type.

Add Comment