User Avatar Image

Ron Gilbert speaks of MI1 remake... in 2007

posted by Guybrush Threepwood on - last edited - Viewed by 298 users

I was reading through this interview again, conducted by Dalixam from World of Monkey Island, and was quite surprised when I came to this question, and even more so when I read the answer:

Some fans would like to see MI1 remade with today's graphic and voices. Is that something you think is a good idea or do you feel it should be left as it is, for nostalgic reasons.
Remaking MI1 would be a huge mistake and wouldn't add anything to the game. Having recently played the game again, it's just fine.

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • People shouldn't call it a remake. It's more of an update.

• it is in no way a remake. it's just an enhanced version. also I read that interview when it first came out, and agreed then as I do now. no real need to remake it.

• I think for it to really be a remake with "today's graphics" would mean making it 3D, and that's probably what Ron Gilbert is against, and I can definitely see why. There aren't enough 2D games coming out on consoles and PC, but I'm really glad they're sticking with 2D for the special edition.

• I see a lot of quibbling from disillusioned fanatics. "Remake"is what SOMI:SE is. For the OP: I'll see your flippant inconsistency and raise you a oft-missed fanatic continuity.

I've read many posts that negatively criticize the controls for EFMI. Anyone who's played the game knows that while the option "Open (use) Door) exists as an 'ENTER' option, if you simply walk boldly to that door, Guybrush will faithfully open it for you without any further commands. No "OPEN DOOR" option need be chosen. Now, I quote Gilbert: "UI for having to open and close doors independently from walking though them was obnoxious." http://grumpygamer.com/ (current entry, titled, "Stuff and Things and Monkey Island," June 1, 2009)

So, you naysayers: Do you love Gilbert, yet scorn the control system that powered EFMI, distinguished it from its predecessors, and was faithful to the Gilbert vision?

Obviously, as the OP correctly points out, Gilbert's word is not to be trusted. He sells his opinion to the highest bidder. I don't think less of him. I expect this from any and all public figures. (So, take my opinion with that grain of salt) In 2007, he was selling to his fanatic-base. In 2009, he is selling to LucasArts, who is giving him a healthy sum for his public opinion.

Seems clear to me.

• @xaRoc said: Obviously, as the OP correctly points out, Gilbert's word is not to be trusted. He sells his opinion to the highest bidder. I don't think less of him. I expect this from any and all public figures. (So, take my opinion with that grain of salt) In 2007, he was selling to his fanatic-base. In 2009, he is selling to LucasArts, who is giving him a healthy sum for his public opinion.

This is certainly not what I was pointing out. LucasArts can do whatever they want with Monkey Island without consulting Ron Gilbert, since they own the license, and Ron can think what he wants of it. In this case, Ron thinks the special edition is going to be "very cool" and he is "very excited". What I was pointing out was how Ron had changed his opinion, whether that be because of how the project turned out, or just because he'd had time to reflect on it (or something else entirely). I really doubt "he was selling" out.

• @Guybrush Threepwood said: I was reading through this interview again, conducted by Dalixam from World of Monkey Island, and was quite surprised when I came to this question, and even more so when I read the answer:

Some fans would like to see MI1 remade with today's graphic and voices. Is that something you think is a good idea or do you feel it should be left as it is, for nostalgic reasons.
    Remaking MI1 would be a huge mistake and wouldn't add anything to the game. Having recently played the game again, it's just fine.

lol nice!

• But the point is that it isn't being remade with today's graphics - it be 3D if that were true. It has been reimagined in the style of the original which I feel is what Ron Gilbert likes about it.

• It sounds like the big hang-up here is what the definition of "remake" is. Remake to me signifies a complete change to modern graphic engines, using an altered perspective on how the game original unfolds (as in MI1 rebuilt using the MI4 engine for example) which means completely reworking the maps, the characters, possibly the puzzles and adding sounds.

To me, SoMI:SE is not a remake, its more or less a remastering like what LucasFilm did with Star Wars, except without any alterations to the core story. The game wears a slightly newer overcoat, but it is the exact same game underneath.

I believe Gilbert thinks the same way, and that's why he now endorses what LucasArts is doing with his game, since its not truly a "remake" by any means.

• http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/remake

I'm having trouble reconciling your definition of "remake" against what we've all agreed is the English definition of the word.

Please, explain how SOMI:SE is not made "anew" in a 'different form.' The graphics, though not true 3D are "anew" and thus present the game in a different form, else, why would the same form be included in the options to view in the original graphic presentation? The creators, themselves, will tell you this is a remake.

• I don't think there could be any viable claim that the SE isn't a remake. However, I think it's moderately clear that it's not the kind of remake that he was thinking of when he made that quote... And even if it is, he's allowed to change his mind.

Add Comment