User Avatar Image

The real monkey ilsand 5?

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 363 users

I was just thinking about how Dave and Mike said that tales of monkey island is set after the imaginary monkey island 5.

I was curious about this, do you think Ron may have discussed with them that he may want to make a monkey island 5 in the future when he came over to brain storm with them. It may explain a bit more why they are steering away from a direct sequel. Might even be apart of the deal with lucasarts that it couldn't be a direct sequel.

47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • They didn't want to make Escape from Monkey Island 2 so they put a gap of time there.

If we ever bothered to give Ron his shot, I'm much rather see an alternate universe kind of game - starts off looking just like the Monkey Island Special Edition game but is original and a direct sequel to LeChuck's Revenge. That way it's not canon and we can see what Ron did. Probably wouldn't even be horribly expensive and a great move if the Special Edition of MI1 sells well and the theoretical sequel does too.

• User Avatar Image
    MarkDarin Telltale Staff

Nope. We never actually discussed that. Setting it after an imaginary MI5 was our intention from the beginning. We did it for 2 reasons, we wanted to put some ambiguous amount of time between the new adventures and the last one, and more importantly, we wanted to open the game in the middle of a climatic moment! I love big exciting opening moments! It pulls you right into the action and is a great way to quickly convey the personalities of some of the key players!

• No, definitely not. People take that idea way too literally.

They've said just as many times that the beginning of TMI starts at the end of an imaginary MI5, which means if they made that MI5, not only would it have to lead into TMI perfectly, but we'd already know how it ends!

• I don't think I want them to even make that Monkey Island. It'd be like a weird prequel.

• If they do a prequel it would be interesting to see Guybrush's adventure to get to Melee Island to become a pirate.

• Monkey Island without LeChuck would be a hard sell.

• @Irishmile said: If they do a prequel it would be interesting to see Guybrush's adventure to get to Melee Island to become a pirate.

Dominic Armato did write this in the Private Forum about Guybrush's point of origin in Secret of Monkey Island. Make of it what you will, but don't turn this into another Paganism discussion. :p
    @Irishmile said: The week we were recording SMI:SE, I was hanging out and chatting with Adam Bormann, Senior Game Designer on the project, and he was talking about how when Guybrush first appears, he walks down from the top of the mountain on Melee. He doesn't come up. He doesn't drift ashore. He comes down from a place that doesn't seem to have any other point of access. Implication being, is Guybrush some kind of messianic figure? Could be that Ron's MI3 would have been a lot more interesting than anybody might've guessed :-)

• @PariahKing said: Monkey Island without LeChuck would be a hard sell.

I suppose that is true... but it would still be fun.... It could totally be done in a flash back episode... maybe season 2?

• In a way it's kinda like what they did for CMI (imo). It's sort of like they didn't want to mess too much with what happened at the end of MI2 and leave it a bit open on what happened.

Although, I am wondering... what if LeChuck is meant to die in MI5? Or any characters for that matter...

• @Irishmile said: If they do a prequel it would be interesting to see Guybrush's adventure to get to Melee Island to become a pirate.

@Irishmile said: Monkey Island without LeChuck would be a hard sell.

How about a prequel as LeChuck when he sets out to find the Secret of Monkey Island? :)

Add Comment