User Avatar Image

the voices need to go

posted by Alucard on - last edited - Viewed by 7.3K users

I haven't been on the site in a while and figured e3 would be as good of a time as any for an update. I must say that telltale has dropped the ball on the voices. They really just don't sound right. I haven't played Sam&max for years but the moment I heard the trailer I knew it just wasn't right. Sure the game looked great but for a comedy adventure geme it is critical for it to sound great.
Time for a petition maybe?

150 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Honestly, I think you're over reacting a bit. The voices seem alright to me, i actually thought they were pretty good. Then again, TellTale has already said they don't have the final voices down yet, so we'll see what happens. Inevitably though they won't be able to make everyone happy...

• No need for a petition! :)) We are paying close attention to people's reactions to the trailer, don't worry. SamNmaX88 is right, though, that there's no way we can please everybody -- even if we DID get Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson, there are some people who would complain that we should be using Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler from the cartoon show...

May I ask what it is that you don't like about the voices? Is it just that they don't sound like the originals to you, or do you have a specific gripe with one (or both) of them? (Also - you mentioned you haven't played the game in a while. It might be an interesting experiment to load it up again and see if they really sound the way you remember them sounding. :D)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]May I ask what it is that you don't like about the voices? Is it just that they don't sound like the originals to you, or do you have a specific gripe with one (or both) of them? (Also - you mentioned you haven't played the game in a while. It might be an interesting experiment to load it up again and see if they really sound the way you remember them sounding. :D)[/quote]

I haven't watched much of the TV show, but out of all the actors for Sam (including the trailer here), I think Bill Farmer had the best delivery (speed perhaps?). The fellow who did the bits of the TV show I saw sounded way too much like Guy Smiley to me.
    The one from the trailer did manage to get through "Holy jumping saints a plenty riding sidewise on a candy-pink fat-boy" admirably (if a little fast).

Max in the trailer isn't too bad (Neither of them are). The voice is less ummm 'rough', and a little more 'cudley' (lol, I don't think I'm very good at describing voices - compare the "Bonzai!!!" from the Freelance Police trailer with "I got it! I got it!" from this one) than Jamison's, but I don't know if that's good or bad.

When you guys announced neither of the previous pairs of actors were going to be playing the voices, I was expecting something far worse than what's in the trailer.
    It sounds to me like they're doing their best to imitate Farmer and Jamison's performance from Hit The Road, and on the whole, it's not too far off.

If these guys were to take on the roles permanently, I think they wouldn't be too hard to get used to, and maybe a little time in the characters might help as well (one and a half minutes isn't much for us to form an opinion on or them to get a feel for their characters).

On a side note, was the term "Lagomorph" around before Purcel (and Sam and Max) joined LucasArts?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

See, I have the Floppy Disc version of Sam and Max. I never had voice acting. I did watch the cartoon, but I don't remember what they sounded like.

Wasn't there going to be alternate reality Sams and Maxes with the voices of the cartoon voice actors?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote] even if we DID get Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson, there are some people who would complain that we should be using Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler from the cartoon show...[/quote]

Farmer and Jameson were just excellent, and it was the delivery that really made them perfect for the role. The Sam/Max banter was consistently casual, and they managed to say those ridiculous things without stuttering or laughing.

In terms of intonation, I agree that the current actors are attempting to imitate the voices from Hit The Road and not quite hitting the mark- the Max voice is closer though.

It might just be because whatever you see first seems the most right to you, but I always thought the voices in the television cartoon sounded wrong and miscast.

So...wait...were you implying there IS some chance of snagging Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]
    So...wait...were you implying there IS some chance of snagging Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson?[/quote]

Because that would be awesome.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Can telltale reveal why they couldn't get the voices who did hit the road? considering they were able to get them for freelance police u would think they'd be available? If u asked the fans i'd say 90-95% would prefer the hit the road voices than the cartoon voices.. those guys absolutely killed it on the talkie version of sam and max... as far as the trailer.. i think max is okay.. sam is all wrong tho.. he has sort of got the sound of the voice down..but the delivery is all wrong.. it sounds like he's focusing more on gettin the sound right and is missing out on delivering the line right with the right comic intonations.. Either this guy needs to be recast or he has to start delivering the lines better than that..so they are funny.. just listen to the hit the road stuff to hear how its done..

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I really see no glaring problems with the voices in the trailer. They may not be quite at the level of the Hit the Road guys, but I'm sure becoming comfortable with the characters, and, you know, speaking more than five lines or whatever each, will go a long way. Regardless of any quirks they may have I really see nothing so catastrophic that we need to petition Telltale to recast... In any event, if Telltale can't get, or don't want to use, the Hit the Road guys, I really hope we don't end up with soundalikes.

• Ok maybe I'm being a bit harsh. Like most people I really want to see Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson do the voices. When I first saw the cartoon I didn't like it because the voices were different... I'd like to say that I got over it but I really didn't and it bugged me everytime I saw that cartoon. Anyway, it would be like doing a sequel to Day of the Tentacle and not having the same voice for the purple tentacle.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Bah, you guys are crazy, ok, let me clear this up.

Reason they dont have the voices from the video game?

Cause Nick Jameson is a big star now, appearing in "Lost" & "24" on TV, and a few upcoming movies.

Bill Farmer is still mainly doing random cartoons and video games, but come on, you cant have one without the other, it just wouldnt be as cool.

The voices from the TV series?

Harvey Atkin is playing a Judge on Law & Order, so he probably doesnt feel like being a 6 foot dog in a suit.

And Robert Tinkler is doing some random voice acting still, but just like with the point and click Sam & Max, you cant have one without the other.

So what about these new guys?

I think theyre fine. Max sounds perfect, like Max, no complaints at all. Sam sounds a little different from his previous incarnations, but he still sounds like he can deliver a good "You crack me up little buddy."

I mean, I can be honest, when I think Sam and Max, I think of the CD Rom Talkie version from Hit the Road, but dont let the voice of the characters hold you back from these games, I think its going to be great, and I think after you play a few episodes, youll forget about the voices ever sounding different cause you'll be too busy laughing at Max biting people and Sams sarcastic wit.

[Edit 2] Can we get the names of the guys in the trailer? I mean come on, its pretty obvious theyre doin the games, just tell us!

This discussion has been closed.