User Avatar Image

One thing I just realized I really like about Telltale

posted by Duate on - last edited - Viewed by 559 users

NO DRM.

Here is a company that treats us with respect by not including a bunch of bullshit DRM in their games, they just let us install games and go play, like we are mature people. :) and what do we do? We buy every game they make and give them all our money for merchandise :P

Hats off to ya, Telltale, for respecting your customers, and for consistently putting out high quality products that we all love and cherish. I love you guys!

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Pardon my ignorance but what is DRM?

• Digital Rights Management

you know when you install a game and you have to install a bunch of software along with it that says you can only install it on this computer or you have to login to EA or Windows Live or some other service for the game even work, and you can only install the game 3 times in your lifetime, and it's just a huge hassle...

that's DRM

it's supposed to protect the developer from piracy by making it hard to pirate, but really all it ever ends up doing is punishing the PAYING customer who has to jump through all those hoops because the pirated version USUALLY GETS RID OF ALL THE DRM SO ITS EVEN EASIER TO PIRATE IT THAN IT IS TO BUY IT.

It's a broken system and it doesn't work.

Plus it shows INCREDIBLE disrespect to us people who like to BUY games to support our favorite developers. It's a slap in the face.

• ... except that Telltale does use DRM, it's just not invasive.

They have SecuROM online activation for the downloadable games, and SecuROM disc check for the DVDs.

I've never had a problem with either, but some people have (esp. the disc check).

• Well then they're still doing it right. Noninvasive I'm ok with. It's the invasive kind I hate.

And I was able to install the sam and max disks and then play them without the disks just fine. How were people having issues with it?

• You're on to something there.
    Actually I was installing a different game yesterday on my machine, all comfy, and then I suddenly realised I had no box with me, it was upstairs
    SHOCK HORROR :-O
    So for the next three-four minutes i'm sitting, all tense, "don't ask for key don't ask for key don't ask for key don't ask for key"

I hate that. It's like when you go to a store and they overtly video-camera you, or the woman at the bank treats you like a criminal for wanting to get money out with picture-ID.

You give a little, you receive a little :-)

• Do you think TTG can tell when a copy of one of their games is installed? (it must access the internet to display custom images on the launch screen?)

If so, it would be interesting to see the number of installs vs number of sales.

This is one game Im gonna get angry about seeing cracked and available for download.

• @Toothless Gibbon said: Do you think TTG can tell when a copy of one of their games is installed? (it must access the internet to display custom images on the launch screen?)

If so, it would be interesting to see the number of installs vs number of sales.

This is one game Im gonna get angry about seeing cracked and available for download.

yeah same here. usually i see games by EA (think Spore) being pirated a ton and it doesn't phase me a bit since they punish their customers for actually buying the games

but with telltale, i would actually take it personally. ToMI needs to sell well (and i still think it will, even when people pirate it)

• @Molokov said: ... except that Telltale does use DRM, it's just not invasive.

They have SecuROM online activation for the downloadable games, and SecuROM disc check for the DVDs.

I've never had a problem with either, but some people have (esp. the disc check).

Since my gaming computer does NOT have an internet connection, I need to get the request code for each and every episode of the games, then e-mail that to support@telltalegames.com and then wait a few days for a response. This is incredibly annoying and I don't think it's necessary. At least the DVD's don't have this nonsense (like Half-Life 2 or BioShock).

I'm not really upset about this, but it's still an unnecessary obstacle. I could just download a crack and run the games using that, but I'm not feeling too comfortable having to do that. I would hope this will be fixed for Monkey Island. Get real folks, this online activation stuff won't stop piracy. It's just a pain in the butt to those who DID pay for the games and just want to get what they paid for.

• Since i've never had any problems with it, I guess I just assumed TTG didn't have any DRM

i guess i thought everybody here had an internet connection?

• @Duate said: Since i've never had any problems with it, I guess I just assumed TTG didn't have any DRM

i guess i thought everybody here had an internet connection?

I visit a friend of mine. He then has to enter the text i dictate him, whilst saying things like, his connection is too slow, look another typing error, can't you do any faster, stuff like that.

The distribution worked pretty well for me so far. One thing i would love to see changed is that they spare us the CD check for the season DVDs (maybe a goodie for pre buyers?!) because it's annoying swapping discs in your bay and as always with these things, it doesn't prevent anything.

Add Comment