User Avatar Image

Consolidated "Adventure Games We'd Like to See" thread

posted by Marduk on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Threads suggesting adventure games we'd like to see TellTale work on are no new thing to the TTG forums but I thought it might be a good idea if we had the one list of titles rather that dozens of threads that have scrolled away. Every few days or so I'll even update the thread with suggestions from those who've replied.

So far they're mostly old Adventure games nostalgic fans would like to see innovated but there are also TV shows, books and movies in there, too.

I might make a poll on this, depending on responses.

I'll begin by CP'ing lists from other such threads' (FYI, I've omitted 'ideas' that TTG should continue various series' they've already began);

[LIST]
[*]Rex the Runt Adventures
[*]Day of the Tentacle
[*]Myst
[*]Indiana Jones
[*]Simon the Sorcerer
[*]The Simpsons
[*]Doctor Who
[*]Gabriel Knight series (I don't know if this is an existing game franchise or a TV series or what).
[*]Pushing Daisies (ig0rpwnwEd; I LOVE YOU!)
[*]Maniac mansion
[*]Grim Fandango
[*]Space Quest
[*]Futurama
[*]Red Dwarf
[*]The Dig
[*]Full Throttle
[*]MacGyver
[*]Family Guy
[*]Doctor Who
[*]King's Quest
[*]Police Quest
[*]Quest For Glory
[*]Loom
[*]Calvin and Hobbes
[*]Star Trek
[*]The Mighty Boosh
[*]Get Smart
[*]'An H.P. Lovecraft based game'
[*]Garfield
[*]Barney Google (Somebody might want to enlighten me, here)
[*]The Boondocks (and here)
[*]Discworld (Yes, yes; oh please god yes!)
[*]Monk
[*]Psych
[*]Laura Bow (and also here)
[*]Simon the Sorceror
[*]A Nuklear Power RPG (?)
[*]Sanford and Son (I've heard of this but never actually seen it)
[*]Leisure Suit Larry
[*]The Neverhood
[*]The Feeble Files
[*]Beneath a steel sky (maybe TTG should just buy Revolution. I can't imagine it'll cost much considering all the cuts they've had to make and it'll be a sure fire way to get a leg in the UK)
[*]Blade Runner
[*]Gateway
[*]Death Gate
[*]Shannara
[*]Blazing Dragons
[*]Digimon (this guy, apparently, was serious)
[*]So Blonde
[*]Kyrandia
[*]Normality
[*]Nightlong
[*]Sanitarium
[*]Stupid Invaders
[*]Ceville
[*]Flight of the Amazon Queen
[*]Still Life
[*]Chewy
[*]The Accolade adventures (I may have got confused, here, the way that MusicallyInspired's post was phrased made me thing it was but I could have been wrong).
[*]Zak McKracken
[*]Gang Garrison (no idea if this is real)
[*]Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman"
[*]Lucifer (Sandman Spinoff)
[*]Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[*]Dilbert
[/LIST]

120 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Tea

And here's my input. Removed the ones I don't have a clue about

Day of the Tentacle - Could possibly work, but it wasn't true to Maniac Mansion in the first place...
    Myst - Myst was a one off, I will kill anyone who tries to do that again, it was special.
    Indiana Jones - Most definitely, Indy has a hundred adventures
    The Simpsons - F*** off
    Doctor Who - No. No. No. It would work, but you're not supposed to do that with Doctor Who
    Maniac mansion - Maybe. But again, it was a one off
    Grim Fandango - Definitely.
    Futurama - Go away!
    Red Dwarf - If you want Max to kill you in your sleep, go ahead and make it
    The Dig - Again, The Dig was a one off
    Family Guy - Seriously - no.
    Loom - Only played this for a few minutes, but maybe Telltale is the right studio to make a sequel
    Star Trek - Maybe...
    Garfield - Hell no
    Discworld - Most definitely!!
    Leisure Suit Larry - Maybe
    The Feeble Files - This was a one off, and should not be remade
    Beneath a steel sky - Only Revolution can do this
    Blade Runner - That was a one off
    Digimon - I lol'd
    Flight of the Amazon Queen - The original was terrible!

• The Neverhood (Not even sure that this is real)

The_Neverhood.jpg

The Neverhood was an amazing point-and-click adventure in which all the graphics were made with stop-motion-animation using real clay. It was beautiful, quirky, and amusing.

You should Google the ones you don't recognize, they're worth knowing about if you're an adventure game fan.

Gabriel Knight was a series of adventure games by Sierra, as far as I know they were on the more serious side. Get Smart was an old detective/comedy TV series, that the Steve Carell movie is based on. Barney Google is, apparently, a long-running comic strip.

• @TheJoe said:
    Myst - Myst was a one off, I will kill anyone who tries to do that again, it was special.

Myst had several sequels, and most of them were great. Riven, the second game in the series, is one of the most fantastic adventure games ever (too hard for today's audience, I suppose, but such an immersive story), and while none of the later sequels were as amazing as Riven, I would say that most of them were as good as Myst.

Obviously, the Myst series has a very different style and presentation from Telltale's games, so I think if Telltale were to team up with Cyan (the Myst people) it'd be smarter for them to make another Myst spin-off rather than a sequel, something that tells a different story in a different way, but within the same universe.

• Get Smart (the Steve Carell film?)

Barney Google (Somebody might want to enlighten me, here)
    The Boondocks (and here)

Laura Bow (and also here)

A Nuklear Power RPG (?)

No, not the Steve Carell film. The original Get Smart was a hilarious comedy series based around spies, starring an optimistic and arrogant yet inept spy named Maxwell Smart. Think if James Bond and Inspector Cleuseou had a child. It's absolutely perfect for the adventure game medium. It was also co-created by Mel Brooks.

Laura Bow is a Sierra adventure/murder mystery game series.

Nuklear Power has a long running comic strip spoofing Final Fantasy and RPGS, featuring idiotic and insane characters, and pretty irreverent yet hilarious humor. If Telltale ever wanted to go into RPG's, I think they could pull this off.

• @TheJoe said:

In that case I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I seem to recall there were 4 titles in the Myst series. (They weren't called Myst II, Myst III, etc, they had original titles like books and movies used to when their producers weren't all soulless cretins). But with such a lack of information about your character I imagine the sequels could have been based in the same world without mentioning any of the other characters at all.

I'm always surprised to hear people say that there should be a sequel to Grim Fandango when the original came to such a logical conclusion that I can't possibly see any furtherance the story and a prequel would only depress me, as it would mean Manny would have to go through the same kind of ordeal [as he did in 'G.F'] to end up in the dead end job he was in at the beginning of the first game with the knowledge he'll be stuck there for years longer than any of his 'clients' for reasons unknown.
    @TheJoe said: You should Google the ones you don't recognize, they're worth knowing about if you're an adventure game fan. It was my intention to, however by the time I thought most appropriate for quitting the list was so long I thought it would be a drag.

TBH I grew up in a town where a wide range of games were inaccessible and those that were available were never adventure games. I didn't even discover the genre until this mid 90s when I was around 13. It was the first discworld game (which I played as a fan of the books) and I didn't even get a copy (I played it for about 5 minutes when the first shop completely dedicated to games finally opened), the first one I owned was discworld 2 (the first game being unavailable by this point). Actually Broken Sword might have been first. It's hard to remember, it's all a blur to me.

Adventure games just never made it this far and now they've pretty much stopped getting here, unless it's a big name.

I openly profess my ignorance and inexperience of my favourite genre. @TheJoe said:
    Digimon - I lol'd
    Flight of the Amazon Queen - The original was terrible! Well I didn't suggest them, I went around looking for similar threads (there weren't as many as I thought, but they were quite long). Still, almost all the suggestions above are from other people; I've repeated what they've suggested in as much of a non-biased way I could.
    @TheJoe said: No, not the Steve Carell film. The original Get Smart was a hilarious comedy series based around spies, starring an optimistic and arrogant yet inept spy named Maxwell Smart. Think if James Bond and Inspector Cleuseou had a child. It's absolutely perfect for the adventure game medium. It was also co-created by Mel Brooks.

Actually I think I might have seen repeats of this, way back when I was a child. It does sound awfully familiar.

• The Myst series is made up of at least 5 games (depends if you count Uru or not). The main ones are:

Myst
    Riven
    Myst III: Exile
    Myst IV: Revelation
    Myst V: End of Ages

• I know I said I'd like more titles to be added but if and when I do make this into a poll I'd prefer a considerably shorter list.

So please keep suggesting them but also please feel free to give reasons to remove them so I can make said short list :)

• I would love to see followups to Loom, Zak McKracken, Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion and more Indy adventures.

• well if nobody has any extra ideas then if more people could suggest some titles to chop from the list it'd be appreciated.

It would also be nice if a reason was given with the suggestion.

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

Ok then fine. Myth the series was a one off.

That would just be like remaking the original Lord of the Rings trilogy, or continuing Harry Potter after it finished (has it finished? I don't care to follow). That's what I'm saying.

Marduk: I know you didn't suggest them, it was just funny.

Add Comment