34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, this is interesting:

[Quote]Right now, you can use the keyboard to move around, but you still need the mouse to click stuff and manipulate your inventory. The alternative is to click and hold the left mouse button to bring up a red direction arrow over Guybrush. Dragging the mouse in this mode will make Guybrush walk steadily in whatever direction the mouse is moving toward. It's still a bit twitchy, and it would be nice if you didn't have to hold the left button down; but there's still plenty of time for the development team to figure it out.[/Quote]

• There is a mouse only option! Thank you TTG massively, you have listened.

• [Quote]Right now, you can use the keyboard to move around, but you still need the mouse to click stuff and manipulate your inventory. The alternative is to click and hold the left mouse button to bring up a red direction arrow over Guybrush. Dragging the mouse in this mode will make Guybrush walk steadily in whatever direction the mouse is moving toward. It's still a bit twitchy, and it would be nice if you didn't have to hold the left button down; but there's still plenty of time for the development team to figure it out.[/Quote]

As we've said, we're still not talking much about the controls because they're still being hammered out (and we'll be perfecting them to the last minute). See how we weren't lying when we said that? :P

It's worth pointing out that while it wasn't in for the demo Kotaku saw, in the game it's looking like we'll be supporting "click and drag to walk," and also "click to start walking, control by moving the cursor around, then click to stop walking," for those who prefer not holding the button down. (Click and drag to walk feels more comfortable to me, though.)

• Sounds pretty exciting. I'm glad you don't have to go back to the Sam & Max-methods of controlling your characters, because after Wallace, that does seem a bit "boring" (not the games themselves of course, but you can do so much more cool stuff with direct control).

I do wonder if this method brings new limitations/possibilities to the design of these episodes. Stemmle mentioned certain puzzles in that recent podcast that are only possible with direct control (like finding a pattern in stones in the floor to proceed) which aren't possible with the Sam & Max-control method. This method sounds a bit less 'precise' then controlling your character with the keyboard or gamepad, so does this method still allow for those kinds of puzzles, or am I just worried over nothing?

All in all, I'm pretty positive about this method. I never had a problem with the Wallace-controls, but this will probably keep everyone happy.

EDIT: Wait, I just read it again, and if I understand correctly, this is basically the same as in Sam & Max, but now you don't have to click on the ground but you can click anywhere you want to walk in that direction? That's pretty much perfect!

• Compromise idea was great even though I wouldn't have minded the proposed controls.

• @Tjibbbe said:
    I do wonder if this method brings new limitations/possibilities to the design of these episodes. Stemmle mentioned certain puzzles in that recent podcast that are only possible with direct control (like finding a pattern in stones in the floor to proceed) which aren't possible with the Sam & Max-control method. This method sounds a bit less 'precise' then controlling your character with the keyboard or gamepad, so does this method still allow for those kinds of puzzles, or am I just worried over nothing?

Haha, this reminds me of the Last Crusade.

I really like what Jake is talking about. Personally, I get tired of clicking over and over to move somewhere, as I've said before. And if it's new and inventive yet still traditional, then that's awesome; that's what Monkey Island is all about.

• Couldn't you do that clicking-and-holding thing in Strong Bad?

• @Jake said: As we've said, we're still not talking much about the controls because they're still being hammered out (and we'll be perfecting them to the last minute). See how we weren't lying when we said that? :P

It's worth pointing out that while it wasn't in for the demo Kotaku saw, in the game it's looking like we'll be supporting "click and drag to walk," and also "click to start walking, control by moving the cursor around, then click to stop walking," for those who prefer not holding the button down. (Click and drag to walk feels more comfortable to me, though.)

Sounds great, but is the joypad control still available? How do you manage the inventory with the joypad?

Add Comment