User Avatar Image

A special video of CMI for non-english players!

posted by Winckle on - last edited - Viewed by 153 users

Hi everyone!
I'm currently playing CMI to prepare myself for the return of Guybrush. I am playing it in french and I went on Youtube to see how the game is in english. I found a scene that was deleted in localised versions of the game.
It is the "A pirate I was meant to be" song and it is absolutely brilliant.
Link
Enjoy!

11 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Winckle said: Hi everyone!
    I'm currently playing CMI to prepare myself for the return of Guybrush. I am playing it in french and I went on Youtube to see how the game is in english. I found a scene that was deleted in localised versions of the game.
    It is the "A pirate I was meant to be" song and it is absolutely brilliant.
    Link
    Enjoy!

    Seriously, they sold CMI for the same price, without one of the top-5 most legendary moments ever in it?

    For shame.

  • @Gryffalio said: Seriously, they sold CMI for the same price, without one of the top-5 most legendary moments ever in it?

    For shame.

    The song was cut from all localized versions, it probably was too demanding to translate it!

  • Actually, the scene IS in the non-US versions of the game, only the publisher added some line of code to skip it. You can see the song when playing CoMI with ScummVM. Some versions of ScummVM unlock it automatically, others need a little tweaking : put the language setting of the game to "English - US", then use the boot params* to start directly to scene 460. After the cutscene with Rottingham, the song will start playing like magic :) Note that when the language setting is set on English, you'll also see the english subtitles, a nice way to enjoy the original texts and jokes of the games ^^

    *More info about that here : http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Boot_Params

  • I saw a localized version that had it, only they left that part dubbed in english. I think it was the polish version. the text was translated

  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    I was furious when I found out a few years ago(played the German version). If translation work is done at all, let it be complete. Subtitles would have sufficed in this case, but not even that, the scene was just cut. A shame!

  • I couldn't care less this song was removed, I mean, it's not funny at all!

  • @Vainamoinen said: I was furious when I found out a few years ago(played the German version). If translation work is done at all, let it be complete. Subtitles would have sufficed in this case, but not even that, the scene was just cut. A shame!

    I always think it's okay when they do translation, but then the songs in the native language with translated subtitles. Like the German version of The Simpsons.

  • @Gryffalio said: Like the German version of The Simpsons.


    Watching the German dub of Little Shop Of Horrors is actually quite weird - about half of it is still in English, albeit with subtitles... :D

    np: Kruder & Dorfmeister - Original Bedroom Rockers (G-Stoned)

  • In spanish versions the publisher skipped the scene too

    In 2000 ScummVM didnt exist, and there was a workaround to back the scene to life
    The way to do it, was a little patch (CMIUNCUT.exe) modifying the COMI.exe executable file. and This modification enabled the scene.
    I remember there was lines of dialog untranslated, some translated, but the entire song wasnt dubbed

    I still have this patch file in my computer, if someone wants it, send me a pm

  • the thing is it's pretty hard technically to dub this song in the game, because the entire song is a single file in the resource files, and IMuse uses fades and skips to reach certain points in it, it's not like every line you choose is a different voice file that's dubbed over music, so to translate it, they have to record a new song accurately like the original, like - second to second match, so the timing of the Imuse will be the same, or else they have to change the timing and stuff for Imuse, which is way too much work, so skipping it makes sense.

Add Comment