User Avatar Image

LeChuck; not related to his form. spoilers

posted by darknessofheart on - last edited - Viewed by 249 users

Alright, we all know that LeChuck gets turned into a human and his demonic energy is scattered throughout the Caribbean. The only thing that slightly bothers me about this is would that mean that LeChuck is no longer evil? I mean that would be interesting but I would prefer to see him remain as our main villain, especially since Escape gave him a back seat in exchange for an old man with a cane with a duck engraved in the handle. So, do you think LeChuck will be turned into a good guy in addition to a human, or simply just a human?

13 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @darknessofheart said: Alright, we all know that LeChuck gets turned into a human and his demonic energy is scattered throughout the Caribbean. The only thing that slightly bothers me about this is would that mean that LeChuck is no longer evil?

    I don't see why that would mean he's no longer evil. It's not like there haven't been some very evil men in history.

    Plus, he's always trying to steal Elaine, which means even if he's not evil he'd still probably be the story's antagonist.

  • I believe it hasn't been stated that LeChuck turns into a human the moment the curse is released. Sure, he will turn into a human, but not necessarily then.

    ... Right?

  • Yeah those were my thoughts after thinking it over. Also the fact that LeChuck was evil before he became undead would make it seem like he would still be evil. I was just wondering because with his evil spreading everywhere, I thought that might mean that all the evil in his soul left his body. I just don't want another main villain, that didn't work out too well for alot of people, me included, in Escape from Monkey Island. LeChuck is the best villain for this series.

  • @darknessofheart said: Yeah those were my thoughts after thinking it over. Also the fact that LeChuck was evil before he became undead would make it seem like he would still be evil. I was just wondering because with his evil spreading everywhere, I thought that might mean that all the evil in his soul left his body. I just don't want another main villain, that didn't work out too well for alot of people, me included, in Escape from Monkey Island. LeChuck is the best villain for this series.

    Actually this is something I gave some thought after playing SMI (which, I admit, I played after the other games and still never got around to LCR) but I don't think there were too many signs in any of the 3 games I have played to really say that he was evil before he was undead. I mean he was a pirate, which would be a great indicator of a negative personality in the real world, but in the fantasy world it can go either way.

    He must have at least seemed nice enough person to be invited (or simply be accepted) to dinner with the governor before he died. I don't think it really said why she rejected his advances; maybe he came on too strong but I don't think he tried any 'rough stuff' or he'd have been arrested. And, rather than trying to abduct her or take her by force he set out to win her love by finding the treasure of Monkey Island.

    It wasn't until he died that he did any of the things which made him so generally feared and hated (though, as a pirate, he must have been feared and hated by at least somebody).

    But it could have just as equally been the case that his nice act before he died was just that; an act. It might have been her rejection + his death that drove him to madness but maybe becoming a ghost and later a zombie just gave him the freedom to completely disregard any inhibitions he might have had in life and act the way he always wanted to.

    After all, zombies and demons are generally agreed to be evil (in fiction and, for those who believe in them, in reality) but this isn't always the case for ghosts (again, in fiction and reality). He was evil as a ghost, but as a ghost was he under any obligation, mystical or otherwise, to do evil things?

  • Well, in Secret of Monkey island, some of pirates said he was a fearsome pirate even before he died. This right here is the best indicator; the following is taken directly from the manual of Escape from Monkey Island for the Ps2. It explains his character.

    LeChuck: Even before he died, Captain LeChuck's name was feared throughout the Tri-Island Area. A sadistic jerk with an appetite for destruction, LeChuck pillaged and plundered his way across the seas, stopping only long enough to watch villages, ships, and the occasional puppy farm burn to the ground. His rampaging evil might have gone forever unchecked had he not happened upon Melee Island and its beautiful governor, Elaine Marley. Feeling something soft and gooey in the black pit of his heart, LeChuck abandoned his reign of terror, and ardently wooed the unreceptive governor, who told him to drop dead.

    Amazingly, he did. But then he came back, first as a ghost, then as a zombie, and finally as a demon. At each undead step, LeChuck's plans to win Elaine's heart were thwarted by Guybrush Threepwood, who further infuriated the villain bu successfully stealing Elaine's heart. As his resurrections and defeats piled up, LeChuck's obsessions threatened to consume Guybrush, Elaine, and every living soul in the Caribbean.

    Luckily for everyone involved, the scourge of LeChuck has finally been eliminated, buried beneath a mountain of ice on Monkey Island. Or so it would seem...

    I think that says enough.

  • maybe being "good" is his curse, being evil is his normal self ;)

    curses are a bad thing, but if you are bad then behaving good is a curse.

  • @darknessofheart said: Alright, we all know that LeChuck gets turned into a human and his demonic energy is scattered throughout the Caribbean. The only thing that slightly bothers me about this is would that mean that LeChuck is no longer evil?


    LeChuck was evil even when he was a human. He killed a whole ship full of people just to make them his undead minions. I can't imagine this has changed just because his ghostly juju is running amok.

  • @Marduk said: Actually this is something I gave some thought after playing SMI (which, I admit, I played after the other games and still never got around to LCR) but I don't think there were too many signs in any of the 3 games I have played to really say that he was evil before he was undead. I mean he was a pirate, which would be a great indicator of a negative personality in the real world, but in the fantasy world it can go either way.

    Having just played CMI, LeChuck himself admits to:

    1) Wooing Minnie Goodsoup and stealing her diamond.
    2) Killing Charles DeGoulash (well, it's heavily implied at least)
    3) Bringing and unfortunate end to Captain Marley's entire crew.

    And this was before he ever used the power of Big Whoop to transform himself.

  • It's not implied that he killed Charles. Just that the murphey bed slammed up into the space and got stuck.

  • Well he did give Elaine a flower at the end..that's not particularly evil ;) She didn't seem angry either, just bored.
    So it would appear that he's at least humanly evil as opposed to evil-zombie-pirate evil ;)

Add Comment