User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island - Characters just messy polygons.

posted by dmmaxwell on - last edited - Viewed by 751 users

System specs: P4 2.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9250, all drivers updated, including directx.

Everything starts up fine, but I cannot set the graphics quality higher than 3, and all the characters (LeChuck, Elaine, etc...) look like masses of jumbled polygons. Everything else looks fine, and all the Strong Bad games work fine on my machine, as well.

I've tried just about all the in-game settings, various resolutions, graphics settings 3, 2, and 1. No luck. The background objects look great, the characters look like crud.

Any suggestions?

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Just to clarify, the characters are screwed up at 3 and below? and if you go above 3 it crashes?

• Thanks for the help! :-)

The game will not allow me to go above 3, I only get 1, 2 or 3 as options.

The game crashed in the following two scenarios:

Graphics set to 1, resolution 640x480, 32-bit color depth.
    Graphics set to 3, resolution 1024x768, 16-bit color depth.

I know 16-bit isn't supposed to work, but thought I'd try it for thoroughness.

• I'm afraid your video card just may not be up to challenge. Normally in this situation I would suggest updating drivers and directX, but since they have both been covered already, you may just need a refund. One other thing you can try is the Omega Drivers. They sometimes work better with ATIs of that generation.

• @Will said: I'm afraid your video card just may not be up to challenge. Normally in this situation I would suggest updating drivers and directX, but since they have both been covered already, you may just need a refund. One other thing you can try is the Omega Drivers. They sometimes work better with ATIs of that generation.

Again, surely this still exceeds your minimum specifications?

• Will,

I'll give the Omega drivers a shot and let you know what happens.

Estel,

Yeah, my system plays Half-Life 2 - at a pretty high quality - as smooth as glass, but isn't up to handling Monkey Island? This is a bit difficult to believe.

Thanks, both.

-D.

• With the Omega drivers, I get, "Could not initialize Direct3D. Make sure you have current video drivers and close any other applications that might be running."

I will send an email to tech support in the morning. I don't want a refund, I want to play this game.

I'll also continue tweaking settings on the video card and see if I run across anything.

Thanks.

• dmmaxwell, please keep us updated as to your progress. I have the exact same problem, and the same resolve to play this game!

• It seems to have issues running on old ATI cards. My computer has the same specs as yours (P4 2.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM), although I am using an older ATI 8500DV graphic card. I am unfortunately experiencing the exact same problems. The polygons are a mess, I can't set the quality higher than 3 in the game, and no amount of tweaking seems to have any effect. I have also tried the Omega drivers, and while 3.8.252 worked for me it didn't change anything. If a solution is found I would be interested. I have another computer with higher specs, but I prefer to play games on this one.

• I have to say i have the exact same problem, and the Omega drivers didn't help. Would run perfectly if it weren't for the character models being such a mess. I may eventually refund it and just get it on the wii, but it will be a shame not to get that dvd at the end of the season. Any solutions yet?

• Ok guys, this issue might be a bit harder to track down. Gonna send this over to our head graphics guy to see if he has any suggestions.

Add Comment