User Avatar Image

Problems on Windows 7 64-bit

posted by CuriosTiger on - last edited - Viewed by 944 users

So I installed the game on a PC that's running a 64-bit version of Windows 7. It wanted to install all kinds of DirectX components going back to 2005, which I found odd -- I would think the necessary ones are already *in* Windows 7?

This leaves me wondering if I corrupted DirectX by allowing it -- when the game finished installing and started, it was extremely slow. I had to bump it all the way down to Quality level 1 (the lowest) to get acceptable performance.

I quit and restarted the game to see if that was a fluke. Or tried to -- I then received an error message stating that the game's data files could not be found and consequently the game did not start. I was able to start the game, but only by manually digging down to C:\Program Files (x86)\ and finding the relevant application directly. The shortcuts didn't work.

This last problem may be related to the confusion between "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" on the 64-bit versions of Windows. But while I did get the game to run and it's enjoyable, even at graphics quality level 1, this does feel like the installer is sloppy when it comes to DirectX and that there's some polish/QA/beta testing missing. :(

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
Add Comment