User Avatar Image

Slow running, quality at 1

posted by hinsonz on - last edited - Viewed by 137 users

So my computer has all the requirements,
and usually runs games very well.
(Sam and Max was lightening fast, haha)

but MI is still running incredibly slow.
I dropped the resolution\quality to the lowest settings,
and that made the menu run better,
but the gameplay is still incredibly lag-y.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

14 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've experienced the same thing, and it's frozen a few times too

• Can't really help you without knowing anything about your system, but there are some things that are always worth checking

The first thing to check would be the video driver, the second one your RAM usage. And finally, as impossible as that sounds, the audio drivers can sometimes cause hickups as well.

P.S. What GFX chip do you have and how much video memory? Shared or dedicated memory?

• Have you updated your video card drivers?

• @rhaith said: Run less crappy hardware

If it runs Sam & Max well, it can run this too.

• @Teppic said: If it runs Sam & Max well, it can run this too.

Not the same engine, so not really

• I can play Sam and Max at 1920x1200 res, which is my monitor's native res and it runs fine.

Strong Bad runs perfect at high res and with max graphics, but obviously the Homestar Runner universe is much more graphically simple.

Wallace and Gromit crashes frequently whenever I have it at that res, and also when I have it set at quality level above 5. I guess the graphics in that game are more intensive, as they are made to look more like realistic claymation.

Monkey Island has some great graphic effects I noticed things like depth of field (e.g. things in the background being blurry on camera while things closer were clear) plus the character animations/face expression/wind tossled hair were great too. But I had to drop the resolution to 1280x800 for good speed, lag free gameplay. I could still have it on quality 9 setting though, so that was cool. At 1920x1200 the mouse cursor movement was too sluggish to enjoy, along with the UI graphics slowing down, so I never attempted to play the game at that res.

I guess it all depends on how much graphics rendering the game needs to do and your hardware. I'd like to think if I got one of the newer GeForce GTX295 graphics cards I could max out all settings for every game and still have high FPS...

• @rhaith said: Run less crappy hardware

His hardware meets the stated requirements for the game. Why should he have to upgrade? Unless the requirements listed are false marketing (which I doubt), there's a problem.

• @CuriosTiger said: His hardware meets the stated requirements for the game. Why should he have to upgrade? Unless the requirements listed are false marketing (which I doubt), there's a problem.

He may be mistaken about meeting the system requirements, though.

For instance, some people think because they have a video card and DirectX 8.1 that they actually have a DirectX 8.1 compliant card. This isn't the case. A DX 8.1 card means one that natively supports all of DX 8.1's features. In other words, a GeForce FX or newer, or a Radeon 9000 or newer. Something from after 2003 or so.

I'd bet money that the guy with this issue is off on this as I've seen with several other people with similar complaints on this board.

• User Avatar Image
    David E Telltale Staff

Moving this to game support.

People with helpful things to say, post helpfully! People who aren't planning on posting constructively when someone seeks help are free (and encouraged) to ignore such threads.

Add Comment