User Avatar Image

Notes about the Map

posted by tomst on - last edited - Viewed by 96 users

While I loved seeing a map system in the game, I do have some thoughts/suggestions to it in terms of gameplay:

1) I shouldn't have to wait for Guybrush to run all the way to the location, this gets tedious especially once you've been to the same places over and over (double clicking to "teleport" you there would be great)

2) I should be able to access the map from EVERYWHERE. For example, since I can choose to get to the Dock once in map-mode, why can't I open the map from there as well?

And one last *petty* note - I would love it if the map would be in 2d. There's just a terrific vintage quality to it you can't deny :)

Hope Telltale guys are listening, you guys did an outstanding work on this game.

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • agreed with points 1 and 2 mostly. i don't mind waiting for guybrush to walk, but he seemed really slow in this episode. double clicking should allow you to skip the walking.

i think it looks fine in 3D, and it allows that cool zooming out effect. a vintage 2D hand drawn map would rule too, though. as long as it has the cool details and vibe, 2d or 3d works for me.

• all I can say is at least it wasn't like the map controls in EMI - direct (i.e. keyboard) control on a map screen with tight paths doesn't work.

• @corruptbiggins said: all I can say is at least it wasn't like the map controls in EMI - direct (i.e. keyboard) control on a map screen with tight paths doesn't work.

yeh that was kinda annoying

• I agree with all points here, though I think just a better map as opposed to a 2d one would work. The not seeing where Guybrush was on the long walks between places was a little off, perhaps have some indicator or actual paths he goes along? I don't know.

Also, afair you couldnt access the map from everywhere in the other games surely..?

• @tomst said: While I loved seeing a map system in the game, I do have some thoughts/suggestions to it in terms of gameplay:

1) I shouldn't have to wait for Guybrush to run all the way to the location, this gets tedious especially once you've been to the same places over and over (double clicking to "teleport" you there would be great)

I agree, it didnt bother "that" much, but is a good idea to be able to fast forward to places you've already been.

@tomst said: 2) I should be able to access the map from EVERYWHERE. For example, since I can choose to get to the Dock once in map-mode, why can't I open the map from there as well?
    I dont think i follow, the map works just like all MI games, you have to get out of the scene/town/place to see the map.

@tomst said:
    And one last *petty* note - I would love it if the map would be in 2d. There's just a terrific vintage quality to it you can't deny :)
    I liked how they implemented the 3D map, though 2D maps have lots of charm and would feel like looking at a map, both ways are really great and is hard to say yes or no to either of them, but would prefer to keep the 3D maps for Tales.

• They should add the double clicking shortcut, but it was nice and remind (on purpose surely) of how maps worked on SoMI.

• You gotta look past why do you think Guybrush runs? its because the game is loading the new scene? i rather have Guybrushing running that staring at "Loading please wait" :)

it also makes the game feel larger, instead of all the annoying teleporting use in Sam & max and wallace and gromit. even just on the ground moving through empty'ish areas, its better than teleporting instant god i hate that so much.

• Actually you can see some air bubbles above him as he runs. I didn't mind the delay too much; a bit; but I just stopped and watched the clouds. I've seen worse delays in games.

• i didnt even notice a delay. it felt exactly the same as every other MI game's maps

Add Comment