Menu
User Avatar Image

Voice Actors

posted by mish on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

What voice actors have there been in the series and have you ever considered using Bill Farmer as Sam and Nick Jameson as Max?

74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jake said: We won't be re-casting Sam & Max with Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson (or with Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler, sorry Breakman :) )\

I'm guessing this means Sean Connery is off the table for Sam, too.

• @Breakman said: Can I confuse the matter by saying I really liked the animated series' voice actors? I think I would be the minority here... ^^;

I'll agree with that sentiment as well. I prefer the cartoon voices and Telltale's voices over the Hit the Road voices. For Max it'd be Tinkler, Kasten then Jameson and for Sam it'd be Nowlin, Atkin then Farmer. I'd probably presume that given his improvement since 102, Kasten will likely hit the top by the middle of season 3. (Edit: Especially if we see the action quotient go up. Come on Telltale, I've seen where you've gone with Strong Bad, give ol' Sam & Max a taste...)

@Breakman said: Oh, and I still want the original voice actors back. If neither of them are an available option by 2009, I may lose my mind completely, and believe me, no one wants that.

I'll call that bluff. Who else wants to see Bad Asp turn purple?

Oh, and Jake, you're now my sarcasmic hero.

• @patters said: i always liked them too, they were my introduction to sam and max when the were on channel 4 in the 90s, i'm not so much of the HTR voices, but i like the episodes voices

I came late to the party. I started on the TT episodes before anything else. I never heard of the show when I grew up. (Then again, I wasn't allowed to watch that much TV...)

I really like these voices because Max has that spaz-like quality to him and Sam's voice reminds me of John Astin (Gomez from the Addams Family) which is funny personally.

@patters said: [...]or with Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler, sorry Breakman :)

:snaps fingers and gives a light kick to the air: Aww... :(

... :p

@patters said: For Max it'd be Tinkler, Kasten then Jameson and for Sam it'd be Nowlin, Atkin then Farmer.

If I went à la carte, Tinkler and Nowlin. ^^ But really, I'm just glad that Sam and Max have voices. I don't think I would be into the series as much as I am without voices. Most of the jokes depend on how they are delivered and the tone. HtR was good for sarcastic/dry humor, AoSM for over-the-top (especially on Max), and the TT episodes... uh... well, some kind... of humor... ^^; The TT episodes has that generalized, not particularly specialized type of humor style.

To HtR's defense, it was funny because of their choice of voices. The stereotypical New York accent matched with talking, upright-walking, animals: it adds to their character and I miss that.

Rewind and back to what I said before, I'm happy as long as there are voices and good ones at that. Most people take for granted voice acting in videogames nowadays.

• @Jake said: We won't be re-casting Sam & Max with Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson (or with Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler, sorry Breakman :) ) -- they did a great job on Hit the Road, but we went elsewhere with our games, and are very happy with the guys we're working with now -- so if your antics really are in some last ditch hope to get us to recast our main characters after happily going back to them for eleven games over the last two years... you need to stop.

I'm glad you liked Hit the Road, and the voice actors in it, but really, Bad Asp, you're not going to enact change by issuing threats, calling names, and playing martyr in what is an otherwise reasonably polite thread.

If the polite respect for your being entitled to your own opinion isn't enough for you, then I don't really know what we can do for you, because you're not going to change anyone's minds by posting on a video game web forum.

If what I did offended anyone on this forum, I apologize once again. I'm not one who sugar-coats my emotions, and I wear them on my sleeve.

Still, if only there was some way I could hear the original Sam and Max voices again without having to resort to playing Hit the Road once again... maybe a series on Adult Swim, or a made-for-DVD movie...

Or, even if you don't recast the voices, you could still bring the original voice actors into the studio to allow the choice of an alternative option... that way David Nowlin fans and William Kasten fans can be happy AND Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson fans can be happy. I don't think ANY game has the option to choose which voice actors the players want to use, so you could be the first!

:(sigh...:( I so wish that could happen...

• @Breakman said: Can I confuse the matter by saying I really liked the animated series' voice actors? I think I would be the minority here... ^^;

Sure, I like the current VAs and the original VAs, they all have good points and bad. I'm probably biased about the cartoon's because it was my favorite medium they were in.

I like the Cartoon Series Voice Actors also... I think it may be because I've just heard them more than the others. Don't get me wrong the others are great too, just personal preference. They all seem to fit in each game/show in their own way, I think that may be due to the type of comedy they are doing... I dunno.

Personally I'd really like to see another Sam & Max cartoon for adult audiences. So they can use guns and stuff and swear when necessary. I wouldn't care who they got to VA for them just as long as they made them!

• *raises hand* I'll add to the love for the cartoon voices, too. Though Atkin's take on Sam isn't my personal favorite (that goes to Nowlin's version), it suits the tone of the show, is well-acted, and it stays true to the essence of who Sam is.* Add the fact that Atkin and Tinkler—whose Max I loved almost from the start—had great chemistry and could tackle those longer-winded stretches of dialogue so nimbly, and I can't help but be impressed.

Actually, that brings up something else I've been thinking about: To me, when you've got two characters who work so closely together, you can't skimp on making sure the chemistry between the voices actors works anymore than you should cut corners with the technical quality of the performances or the characterizations. Fortunately, Hit the Road, Telltale's episodes, and the cartoon series all have that down pat—because of which, my preferences notwithstanding, I don't think I would change a thing in terms of casting. Sure, it'd be neat to see, say, Nowlin and Tinkler teamed up, but I don't know if their Sam and Max would bounce off each other all that well. Nowlin and Kasten (whose Max I admire in equal measure to Tinkler's) are already terrific together. “Why fix what ain't broke?” I say. :)

---

*There's a slight caveat to this, but it's more about a personal perception of the character than a claim that this is what, say, Steve Purcell would tell us about Sam. What I've tended to like better about Nowlin's and Farmer's takes is how their deadpan, Bogart-esque vocals go along so well with both the suit and Sam's (generally) calm demeanor. I also think the more sedate voice works better when played against Max's manic, more "cartoony" one. That said, while Sam's sarcastic edge in Hit the Road is pretty fun, it seems a tad over-emphasized and thus feels slightly "off" to me in terms of characterization (especially when compared to the comics). So, for me at least, Nowlin's Sam has been the best vocal representation of the character so far.

• All I want for Christmas is the original voices from Hit the Road back!

And some decent employees who wouldn't dare throw them under the bus in favor of cheap generic imitators! (I'm looking at YOU, Jake, Shauntron, Tabacco, and MarkDarin... with all due respect, of course!)

Please, God, grant me this wish!

• @Bad Asp said: All I want for Christmas is the original voices from Hit the Road back!

And some decent employees who wouldn't dare throw them under the bus in favor of cheap generic imitators! (I'm looking at YOU, Jake, Shauntron, Tabacco, and MarkDarin... with all due respect, of course!)

Please, God, grant me this wish!

please shut up, with the greatest amount of kindness

• And I'd like to take this opportunity to lodge a complaint at the colour of Max's fur. In Hit the Road, it had a slight yellow tint to it, but now it's white. If action isn't taken immediately, I will be forced to make a petition, and possibly sue anyone who's ever thought about playing any games with dogs or rabbits in them.

Haha, I know I shouldn't do, but I can't help but jump in whenever this guy posts.

• User Avatar Image
    David E Telltale Alumni

I'm pretty sure that's unrelated to voice actors, Badwolf.

I'm also extremely saddened that you've decided to once again dredge this thread back up, Bad Asp. I'm closing it, and advising you to steer away from your caustic tone.

This discussion has been closed.