User Avatar Image

Changes from SBCG4AP for Season Three?

posted by Harald B on - last edited - Viewed by 435 users

SBCG4AP had a bunch of interesting features, some of which might be interesting for Sam & Max. Which do you think would be a good idea to add? As for my own views:

Cartoon shading
A lot of people have been asking for this, but I think it would be a step back. Purcells art is more advanced than that, and better captured by what we have.

Map
Very yes.

Icon-based dialog system
I'm not sure. I guess it worked out fine for Hit the Road and SBCG4AP, but sometimes the Sam & Max lines had me laughing before even clicking them.

Trophies
Too meta to be appropriate.

Collectibles
Frankly, they pick up enough souvenirs already. The Desoto thing was nice, but did get a bit out of hand.

Costume items
Out of character. Plus, where are they going to put them?

Mini-games
I dunno, we've had good ones but getting formulaic about it could be bad.

Awesomeness rating
Meh.

Preview
That could be nice.

Extended Mode
Ditto.

Only four save slots.
I'm going to assume this was because of Wii limitations. Otherwise: what were you thinking?!

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Teeth said: Cartoon Shading: No, that was just there to emulate the art style of the cartoon, plus money would have to be spent on adding this to the character models, which I think are fine as they are (though a little bit polygonal)

wouldn't require much at all, there's a cartoon (cell) shader built-in to Maya (presuming they're using a recent edition)... though that doesn't make it the best rout to take... Though it might be funny for a gag in a short sketch...

• @Ashton said: wouldn't require much at all, there's a cartoon (cell) shader built-in to Maya (presuming they're using a recent edition)... though that doesn't make it the best rout to take... Though it might be funny for a gag in a short sketch...

umm. they built their own game engine so they dont use maya.

• @deadlinejon said: umm. they built their own game engine so they dont use maya.

Wrong.

They've said many times they use Maya. Maya is 3D modeling/rendering Software, they build their models in Maya, then import them into T3 (as per what's been said in the past, this *could* have changed but I highly doubt it)

EDIT:
    here's the link explaining it:
    http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-14355.html

• The only thing that really stands out for me that I'd like to see on Sam & Max games is the map, but then again I might not even use it as you don't really need to travel that far.

• As for cartoon shading, no.
    Sam and max character`s shading should be just like what it is right now.

And as for preview, again no.
    Because, I think I would like to be surprised about what their next case is about.

The only options I like are extended mode and mini-games.
    It would be great if we see S&M and their antics a little bit more till next episode comes.

They've said many times they use Maya. Maya is 3D modeling/rendering Software, they build their models in Maya, then import them into T3 (as per what's been said in the past, this *could* have changed but I highly doubt it)

I guess they only used Maya for making cinematic trailer of season 2.

• I was really impressed by the way environments were recycled in Strong Bad. I have a feeling a lot of the lessons learned during its development will benefit Season 3.

• That I don't doubt. Telltale is still getting better and better with each episode. I'm not sure the environment-recycling is the best example though; it was always obvious, which is easy to get away with (expected, even) for Strong Bad but not very appropriate for Sam & Max. Besides, there was some pretty good recycling in the last two Sam & Max episodes.
    On a vaguely related note, I wonder if the "hyper-realistic" "dream office" in Dangeresque 3 foreshadows the kind of graphics we can expect in Wallace & Gromit. That's certainly something to look forward to.

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

I don't know if a map is required, after all, in most episodes you have
    a) The Street (Office, Sybil's, Bosco's, etc.)
    b) Ad-hoc/Topical location (like the TV Station or the North Pole)
    c) "Random" Streets (Used mainly for mini games)

IF and only IF locations become more complex a location layout (w/50-60% transparency, max 10% of the screen used) can be added somewhere in the screen (only the rooms you've discovered appear, if you walk into a new room the layout is updated). That way you can simply click over the room in the layout.

Something I really like is a simple "DeSoto" or "Car Keys" icon/inventory item that you can use to directly go to a location using a location dialog menu (similar to the one used when clicking over the DeSoto). I can't stress this enough: Avoid having to walk around three or more rooms just to get to the DeSoto so you can go to another location (Think the War Room in S1E04)

Shading:...no, It's not S&M style.

Trophies: already in, they're called "decals" and you have 4 kinds: regular, bronze, silver and gold.

Collectibles: Check the office in the future (S2E04)

Costumes: nah (besides having the slight possibility of having a "female" Max scares me)

Awesomeness rating: only if it is based on S&M's body count.

Icon Based dialogs: no.

Preview: what? Rather have the S&M theme song back.

Extended Play: What's the point?. Just add a way to access the mini-games from the main menu after finishing the episode (without loading a saved game!)

• I'd be happy if they were able to make the Season 3 the same graphical quality as the Season 2 trailer, what with all the Phong effects, improved normal mapping, dynamic shadows (would beat those blob shadows) and the lovely reflective shine on the DeSoto. The PC can certainly handle that level of graphics, but I don't know about the Wii. Making all new enhancements to this Telltale Tool thing would go down a lot better in my view than merely transferring the ones from Strong Bad. Something certainly needs to be updated, the Sam & Max graphics are starting to look old.

As for all this map business, I would only want to see something like that in the same vein as Hit the Road, but we rarely have enough locations to visit to warrant any map at all.

• @S@bre said: I'd be happy if they were able to make the Season 3 the same graphical quality as the Season 2 trailer, what with all the Phong effects, improved normal mapping, dynamic shadows (would beat those blob shadows) and the lovely reflective shine on the DeSoto. The PC can certainly handle that level of graphics, but I don't know about the Wii. Making all new enhancements to this Telltale Tool thing would go down a lot better in my view than merely transferring the ones from Strong Bad. Something certainly needs to be updated, the Sam & Max graphics are starting to look old.

I dont think you really want those kind of graphics... as I said in anther thread, dynamic rendering takes a _LOT_ longer than rendering and converting to a movie.

I dont know about the TTG engine, but I know rendering in maya if I have a car and 2 characters (no scene) a single frame takes around 30 seconds to render. and I have a 2.66ghz dual-core 64-bit system (running 64-bit OS and maya in 64-bit mode) So unless T3 has a way to produce these effects a LOT less resource-intensive, TTG would be limiting their audience to a pawful of people with near-state-of-the-art systems.

Yeah, would be nice, but not possible just yet... but we can keep hoping I suppose... and like I said T3 may have a way to do this, I'm just not holding my breath

Add Comment