User Avatar Image

My Guide To Running Sam & Max On Linux

posted by Cassidy on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Had recently upgraded from XP to Ubuntu 7.10, but unfortunately hadn't finished Season 1 or started Season 2. After receiving Season 1, the soundtrack and Surfin' The Highway in the mail, I decided it was time to get the games to run on WINE. Several hours later, this guide was born. I cannot guarantee full playability, but it has been working so far. Hope anyone who uses my guide will have the success I did and I hope I'll be able to help any questions.

As it is attached, you may also download the PDF from Filefront.

==============================
A Guide To Sam & Max On Wine/Ubuntu
==============================
This is a guide to getting Sam & Max, Seasons 1& 2 to run on your copy of Ubuntu.

NOTE: These steps are being done on a clean install of Ubuntu & Wine (yes I nuked my operating system just for you guys :)), but I will be available to hopefully help you with technical questions. Unfortunately, I don't guarantee full playability, just getting the game to run.

This guide is usable with both the downloadable & so far, only the DVD version straight from Telltale. If you plan on installing a combination of the DVD and the Downloaded versions, I would suggest installing the downloaded episodes first, and then install from the DVD.

This guide contains logical steps & common terminal commands in this format. Some of these directory locations will vary upon your computer setup :).

PRE-INSTALL STEPS
=================
1. Install & Update Ubuntu. Hopefully you have this done already.
2. Install WINE 0.9.5.5: (Taken from http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb)
a. Open Terminal. Add the repository's key to your system of trusted APT keys, wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
b. Add the repository to your system's list of APT Sources, sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
c. Install WINE via Synaptic Package Manager, or by running sudo apt-get update to update APT's package information, and then sudo apt-get install wine to actually install WINE.
3. If you are having problems, Start here by nuking your .wine, via command: rm -r ~/.wine I have nuked mine several times over to figure all this out :).

CD VERSION
==========

What I Used: Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy), WINE 0.9.55, Sam & Max Season 1 & SecurRom Patch from Telltale.

1. Download the Season 1 SecurROM Patch
a. Open Terminal.
b. Navigate to where you want to download the SecurROM patch eg, cd ~/Downloads
c. Download SamMaxSeason1_SecurROM_1.0_TTG.exe from http://files.telltalegames.com/support/SamMaxSeason1_SecurROM_1.0_TTG.exe, either through firefox or, wget http://files.telltalegames.com/support/SamMaxSeason1_SecurROM_1.0_TTG.exe
d. Leave Terminal Open, we will be back shortly.

2. Insert Sam & Max Season 1 DVD

3. Setup Wine:
a. Run 'Configure Wine'. Click the Following Tabs:
i. Applications Tab: Change Windows Version to 'Windows XP'.
ii. Graphics Tab: Make sure 'Allow window...' & 'Allow Pixel...' are checked. Make sure 'Vertex Shader Support' is set to 'Hardware'
iii. Audio Tab: You should receive a recommended driver selection notice. Click OK &b click Apply. Click OK.

4. Install Sam & Max:
a. Back to Terminal, and navigate to your cdrom, cd /media/cdrom Run Setup.exe with WINE, wine setup.exe. Install with default options. When done installing, uncheck 'Run Sam & Max - Season 1.0'
b. Navigate to where you downloaded your patch, cd ~/Downloads and run it using wine, wine SamMaxSeason1_SecurROM_1.0_TTG.exe Click Next & I Agree.

5. Cleanup:
a. Run 'Configure Wine'. Click on the 'Drives' Tab. Click on the 'Z: /' line under 'Drive Mappings'. Click the 'Remove' button. Click OK. (Essentially remove the / drive mapping)

6. Run Sam and Max:
a. Back to Terminal!
b. Navigate to the Sam & Max Season One Directory, ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Telltale Games/Sam and Max – Season One, cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Telltale\ Games/Sam\ and\ Max\ -\ Season\ One
c. Navigate to the Episode you want to play, this case: Episode 1 – Culture Shock, cd Episode\ 1\ -\ Culture\ Shock\ Data
d. Run the Episode with WINE, this case: SamMax101, wine SamMax101.exe

e(optional). If it seems like it's running slower than in windows:
i. Press ALT+F4
ii. Run Episode in desktop mode, at desired resolution, wine explorer /desktop=SamMax,1024x768 SamMax101.exe It should start up in a window.
iii. Should now be able to navigate to Options & Change Resolution to desired and hopefully will run at desired speed.
iv. If after changing resolution, graphics go all “broken window”, press ALT+F4 and run again with command from ii., should be fine :).

DOWNLOADABLE VERSIONS
========================

What I Used: Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy), WINE 0.9.55, ies4linux 2.99.0.1, Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2 Downloadable Editions from 'Your Games' under the 'Past Purchases' section of your Telltale Login. I will also organize this part in such a way that if the Flash Bug still affects your Firefox, you will still be able to download the games with IE instead. Although, the Demos will also work fine :).

1. Setup IES4Linux
a. Open Terminal.
b. Navigate to where you want to download ies4linux, cd ~/Downloads
c. Download ies4linux-2.99.0.1.tar.gz from http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ies4linux-2.99.0.1.tar.gz, either through firefox or, wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ies4linux-2.99.0.1.tar.gz
d. Unpack ies4linux-2.99.0.1 and navigate to the directory, tar -zxvf ies4linux-2.99.0.1.tar.gz && cd ies4linux-2.99.0.1
e. Install CabExtract either through Synaptic Package Manager or, sudo apt-get install cabextract
f. Install ies4linux, ./ies4linux Click OK. When done, Click Close.

2. Nuke WINE & Copy Ies4Linux
a. In terminal remove your .wine directory & copy the ie6 directory from the .ies4linux into it, rm -r ~/.wine && cp -r ~/.ies4linux/ie6 ~/.wine

3. Setup Wine:
a. Run 'Configure Wine'. Click the Following Tabs:
i. Applications Tab: Change Windows Version to 'Windows Vista'.
ii. Graphics Tab: Make sure 'Allow window...' & 'Allow Pixel...' are checked. Make sure 'Vertex Shader Support' is set to 'Hardware'
iii. Audio Tab: You should receive a recommended driver selection notice. Click OK & click Apply. Click OK.

4. Run Internet Explorer & Download Sam & Max
a. In Terminal, run IE6, ie6
b. Go to Telltale Games, Login and download the episodes. In this case, I downloaded SamAndMax202_MoaiBetterBlues_Setup.exe into my Downloads folder in my Home directory.

5. Install Episodes
a. In Terminal, navigate to where you downloaded your episode, cd ~/Downloads and run it using wine, wine SamAndMax202_MoaiBetterBlues_Setup.exe
b. Install with default options. When done installing, uncheck 'Play Now'

6. Run Sam & Max
a. Back to Terminal!
b. Navigate to the Sam & Max Season Two Directory, ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Telltale Games/Sam and Max – Season Two, cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Telltale\ Games/Sam\ and\ Max\ -\ Season\ Two
c. Navigate to the Episode you want to play, this case: Episode 2 – Moai Better Blues, cd Episode\ 202\ -\ Moai\ Better\ Blues
d. Run the Episode with WINE, this case: SamMax202, wine SamMax202.exe
e. You should be able to enter in your Telltale login information. Click Log me in! To Start the game, you just have to click a little below the Logo of the game, bout an inch or so and it should start up.

f(optional). If it seems like it's running slower than in windows:
i. Turn full screen off during the intro-setup process either through options or by pressing ALT+ENTER. Usually the graphics go “broken glass” so ALT+F4. By running the program once more and it should start up in a window and at full speed.

Thank you for reading my guide! I hope that I was helpful and please contact me with any questions.

79 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    TMM

I used a freshly downloaded copy of episode 201, unauthenticated. I just got the same form I get with 202+ (no layout or anything)
    You should try with a completely fresh install of 201. It really should work just fine with gecko. IE is really not required.

• If it works, then sweet!

Cassidy, if you're out there, any chance we can get the howto updated?

• I tried the patch with a fresh installation of both WINE and episode 201; now I get something similar to the Windows launcher, but none of the buttons are clickable (nor did hitting the enter key work).

• How can I determine max ram for motherboard on Linux?
    Old desktop here, no actual spec for this old motherboard anymore (it's a Tiny Computer, but nowhere on the machine is model name, etc).Wondering if Linux can tell me. Maybe there's a command to display certain hardware information like RAM and max allowed.

• Okay, using the latest version of WINE (1.1.13) and the patch I finally got the bare no-layout form I got used to in season one, but when I enter my serial number and click "Submit Query" it just refreshes the form. Restarting the game after trying to authenticate didn't help. This is frustrating.

• So from what I'm gathering...I should update my guide?

• @Cassidy said: So from what I'm gathering...I should update my guide?

Might want to suggest a newer version of Wine, at least. 1.1.15 is the latest, and I noticed that 1.1.13 and up fix the launcher buttons - so you can now see the "Launch Game!" button, instead of having to guess where it is. :) When you're using IE as the embedded browser, that is...

• Doesn't seem to work for me. Latest Ubuntu, latest Wine (1.1.16) and I installed IE6 through winetricks. The activation window pops up, IE6 annoys me about launching an ActiveX (which I 'accept'), and then the whole thing is stuck at "Logging you in...".

I clicked on "take me to the demo", saw a "you are not online" window thingy in the launcher and I didn't see any buttons. Clicking randomly launched the game in demo mode, but the screen was completely black.

This is Telltale Texas Hold'em I was running, by the way. I doubt that my little Eee PC can run the heavier games like Sam & Max, especially when I have to rely on Wine for this...

• I have this same issue. Instead I just have to use the down loadable versions. By the way thanks for all the tips provided. thanks

Add Comment