User Avatar Image

Max...?

posted by Maxilyah on - last edited - Viewed by 362 users

Sorry, I just felt that something needed to be said about this. If there's another topic about this, I appoligize, and would you please direct me to it?
I've noticed that Max has appeared to become less and less important to the storyline and the puzzle-solving. In fact, he's the cause of a lot of their problems.
I know I've said this before, but I think there should be an episode where you can be Max, instead of Sam. Or at least so that you can switch characters. Max should be the hero one time, instead of Sam.
Even in the TV series, I can only think of one episode where Max solved the problem without the help of Sam, and the problem was his fault in the first place. (Yes, I am referring to A Glitch in Time)
Anyway, I just thought that needed to be said. Any thoughts and/or criticism on the subject?

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Another thought: give max the ability to alter items. Maybe crushing things in his powerful jaws. This would give a convenient way to make puzzles unsolvable "after max chewed on it, the key doesnt fit" and can be useful too USE> lockbox> on max. "Max chews on the box a while and it cracks open, revealing !!! inside"

• That's a really good idea. I wonder if you could use him to alter PEOPLE.
    "Use Max on Bosco."
    Max: No, thanks. Bosco's already altered enough.
    XD

• I also think it's a good idea. However, it yet again comes back to the problem of Max being an always available last resort in puzzle solving - which the Telltale guys & gals don't seem to like.

• I think I like playable Max better. That way instead of using Max on something, you could just click on it to see his reaction.

• @Maxilyah said: I think I like playable Max better. That way instead of using Max on something, you could just click on it to see his reaction.

I agree, this is the best idea, but it effectivly doubles the code for the game, so I honestly think this is the least-likely option...

Also the idea of using max as a last resort... giving him an altering ability makes him far from a last resort, because it could make the game unwinnable if you alter the wrong item! Perhaps in this scenario even make a puzzle have an alternate solution that involves altering an item --- that you need unaltered later in the game to win! (classic example: Zork 3, you can solve the block puzzle by dropping the book, but you must have the book in your inventory to enter the last room of the game, so you make the game unwinnable and you dont even know it until the very end!)

• [quote]unwinnable[/quote]
    That would just make them lose customers. Me, for example. I can't enjoy a game when I'm constantly worried that I've made the game impossible and I'll have to start over because I don't have a save game that far back.

• @Shwoo said: That would just make them lose customers. Me, for example. I can't enjoy a game when I'm constantly worried that I've made the game impossible and I'll have to start over because I don't have a save game that far back.

I fully agree here, and I learnt it the hard way. We made a C64 adventure game with a friend in the early 90s, which quite easily ended up unsolvable by losing items (giving it to the wrong person, using the axe on it, etc.). It sold a decent amount of units (considering the proportions), but I got an amount feedback that indicated that the senders would think twice before buying another game by us :eek:

• It makes people think twice about what they're doing!

I do agree it's annoying when you get the game into an unwinnable state, but if you look back, that was a very popular "problem" I can name around 10 (adventure) games off the top of my head that allowed the game to become unwinnable.

• They could make it so you THINK it's unwinnable, sort of like in HtR when you throw money into the fountain for the first time. And then they could have an alternate solution to the problem at hand, probably one that you wouldn't likely think of trying unless you're Sam or Max. Kind of the point of their games, I thought. ;)

• @Ashton said: It makes people think twice about what they're doing!

I much prefer being able to experiment. I'm much more likely to give up on a problem, even if the game hasn't been made impossible, if I think I might've wasted an item for it or something. Life makes me anxious enough; I don't want it in adventure games too.

I know that a lot of popular games did it, but I can't play those games without closely following a walkthrough.

Add Comment