Menu
User Avatar Image

Sam & Max resolutions

posted by neilka on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

Having tried the new version of the Bone games, I find that the resolutions available to me are 800x600, 1024x768 and 1600x1200. (I notice that there is also a gap between 1024x768 and 1600x1200 where perhaps there is meant to be another resolution that I can't select for whatever reason?)

When I play Sam & Max, I can only select 800x600 or 1024x768 but no higher - although there is an up arrow when I've selected 1024x768. Given that the new Bone versions are using the same engine, should I also be able to select 1600x1200 in Sam & Max?

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni

@neilka said: You're right - I can't select 1280x960 in my Windows display properties (the only 1280-width resolution is 1280x1024). So the real issue is that Sam & Max won't let me select 1600x1200 because I can't select 1280x960 first.

Telltale, is there a possibility of a fix/workaround for this - I'd love to play in the highest resolution possible!

This managed to slip through the cracks until yesterday, but someone is working on it!

@neilka said: Hi, i read that there's no widescreen at this point, but it would be really great if 1680x1050 would be supported at one point!

It's something we've talked about a lot, so don't rule it out for eventual inclusion in the episodes. Don't hold your breath in the absolute near-term though.

• User Avatar Image
    CJM

Hey,

I'm having the same issue - most likely because I think I may have the same monitor (and similar gfx) as neilka. Adding a custom mode through the nvidia control panel app for 1280x960 allows you to select 1600x1200 in S&M. If it's the dell 2405FPW 24" monitor, 1280x960 should work fine on it anyways... But it would be nice for TT to test for all resolutions (or 1280x1024)...

--CJM

• User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni

It's not a matter of testing as much as its a matter of 1280x1024 being taller than a regular 4:3 resolution, which causes unforseen glitches in camera angles, the game interface, etc. Multiple aspect ratio support beyond 4:3 is being kicked around and will likely show up eventually, but we're going one step at a time (for instance, the Bone games were limited to 800x600 only until we updated them this weekend!)

• @CJM said: Hey,

I'm having the same issue - most likely because I think I may have the same monitor (and similar gfx) as neilka. Adding a custom mode through the nvidia control panel app for 1280x960 allows you to select 1600x1200 in S&M. If it's the dell 2405FPW 24" monitor, 1280x960 should work fine on it anyways... But it would be nice for TT to test for all resolutions (or 1280x1024)...

--CJM

Thanks, I've just managed to use the same workaround. I was trying to add the custom 1280x960 resolution earlier but it wouldn't work, but with a bit of persistence I found I could do it using the "new style" nVidia control panel rather than the "old style" one. Now I can select 1600x1200 - time for some high resolution dog and rabbit hijinks!

• You can add resolutions in the windows registry as well.

• User Avatar Image
    Sean A Telltale Staff

...and my monitor (a widescreen Samsung) can go all the way up to 1440x900. The game runs okay in 1024x768, but I'd really like a widescreen res, or a higher one.

• User Avatar Image
    CJM

@Jake said: It's not a matter of testing as much as its a matter of 1280x1024 being taller than a regular 4:3 resolution

My bad, I meant testing all possible (accepted, or all 4:3) game resolutions rather than giving up when one was found to be unsupported.

As for the ~4:3 part, it's still a bit of effort, but I'd be more than happy with a 4:3 viewport within my selected res (resulting in black bars and presumably odd-ish mouse movement)...

Of course, it could get quite annoying to click the little up and down arrows 20 or so times to get through all of the resolutions - and so you'd probably be looking into something a little bit more sophistocated than the current selection box.

--CJM

• User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni

Yes, we upped the ante from Bone and CSI's "no multiple resolution support" to "limited resolution support," but now that we've opened that particular box we likely won't be shutting it.

• @neilka said: Thanks, I've just managed to use the same workaround. I was trying to add the custom 1280x960 resolution earlier but it wouldn't work, but with a bit of persistence I found I could do it using the "new style" nVidia control panel rather than the "old style" one. Now I can select 1600x1200 - time for some high resolution dog and rabbit hijinks!

Ah. Thanks for the interim solution! I'll update my nVidia drivers and give it a go tonight.

• Perfect. That worked! Hopefully they'll change the way the display resolution is selected in the options. It's so much nicer now it fills the screen! :)

Add Comment